Sugar cube scrub...please suggest a mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBee

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm planning on making some sugar cube scrubs for the first time, but I'm not sure what the best mold would be for this. Any suggestions?

Sorry, I should have clarified...I'm looking for a square or rectangle single cavity mold with straight edges/sharp corners (not rounded), where I could cut the block into cube-sized pieces. I'm not sure what mold would work best for this. For those of you who make sugar cube scrubs like this, what mold do you use?

LittleBee said:
Sorry, I should have clarified...I'm looking for a square or rectangle single cavity mold with straight edges/sharp corners (not rounded), where I could cut the block into cube-sized pieces. I'm not sure what mold would work best for this. For those of you who make sugar cube scrubs like this, what mold do you use?

Actually, I think it was Bed Bath and Beyond that had some silicone ice cube trays with sharp/straight corners/lines. They would be perfect.

ETA: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=17293001

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=16790354

agriffin said:
LittleBee said:

Actually, I think it was Bed Bath and Beyond that had some silicone ice cube trays with sharp/straight corners/lines. They would be perfect.

ETA: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=17293001

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... U=16790354
Thanks, those look great too! But wouldn't the cube still be too big from that mold? Wouldn't it be harder to get them out of the mold than it would a one-cavity mold?

Hmmm....I think I'll have to take a trip to BBB and maybe Target to see what they have in person.

Thanks again for all the suggestions! :)

I use silicone mini muffin pans or an ice cube tray.
If they don't pop out. Put them in the freezer for a bit...they soon do!!

What is the difference in making the sugar cubes, or just mixing the sugar scrub? Is one "cube" the right size to use per bathing experience?

Sheryl

Sheryl said:
What is the difference in making the sugar cubes, or just mixing the sugar scrub? Is one "cube" the right size to use per bathing experience?

Sheryl

Depends on who you're making 'em for. If it's for yourself for immediate use, just mix a scrub. But the cubes mean no gloppy mess, lots of variety, scrub always ready (no preservative really necessary either) and one cube lasts through several uses for me. They pop out of the silicone molds easily after a few minutes in the freezer. They look really nice in a dish or jar on the bathroom counter.

if one cube lasts through several uses, I'd add a preservative. don't want furry cubes, and don't want to innoculate abraded skin with fungus. but that's just me.

carebear said:
if one cube lasts through several uses, I'd add a preservative. don't want furry cubes, and don't want to innoculate abraded skin with fungus. but that's just me.

edited for spelling

Good point. I started out marketing these as preservative-free with an advisary to keep them dry and use within a month, but I'm now using Optiphen (no paraben or formaldehyde issues) for the saleable colored and fragranced cubes. But for the unscented plain old ones I use on my face for myself I'm not going to bother. I just pinch off a bit and use it to remove makeup; the cube doesn't even get wet.

APOLOGY - Sorry for the slight hijack here....I have one customer who's adamant about absolutely no preservatives. I told her I'd make hers without Optiphen and to cut the cube into 4 pieces and use once piece at a time so the remaining pieces stay dry, and to use it within a month. I believe in giving all the info to customers I can. I've warned every purchaser about freshness issue with these, but I'm not confident the message was getting through; hence, Optiphen. b]Carebear[/b], do you think I should tell her 1 or 2 weeks rather than a month? How much of a grace period should I give her on these? (Nothing at all to do with this post, but I'm surprised how eager people are to have you make something custom just for them. I really enjoy doing that).

BN - as long as she keeps the stuff dry it's not an issue. it's holding onto bits that have already gotten wet that's problematic.

But remind customers that moisture from the air is also an issue so the stuff should be kept in a closed container and not just out in the open in the bathroom where steam can condense...

Latest posts

Back