Stinging soap salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenbeth

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice from you wise people. My daughter recently bought a bar of salt soap as the seller recommended it for a dermatitis skin condition. Anyway she said it stung like crazy. Should that happen?

Does she have any raw skin from scratching? The soap would most definitely make that sting. When my dermatitis is flared I have lots of raw skin plus scabs where the rashes are the worst. If her skin is torn or raw I would wait until its subsided before using a salt bar. Depending on the severity a good gentle CP bar she doesn't react too and mositurizer she doesn't react to may be enough, or she may need a steroid ointment to get things under control first.

I started using CP soap because of my skin issues. In the beginning, after starting to react to hypoallergenic soap and cream, I was slathering on thick layers of steroid twice a day to all 4 limbs. Now, I apply a teeny bit of steroid mixed with moisturizer a couple times a month when itching flares. It took about a year to get to that point though from the worst I ever had it.

I've had salt sting when my skin is really irritated and the one time I asked my hubby to try a salt bar, he had a bunch of burns from welding. He refuses to try salt again which is a shame, I know he would like them if he wasn't wounded.
Maybe try a pine tar or neem oil bar instead (I'd go with neem) or until her skin has healed up. If the shipping wasn't insane, I'd send you a bar of each.

I have seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp and for the most part, using a shampoo bar has gotten it under control. When it does flare up, I use this stuff in a lotion form. Whent from using once a week to only once a month.
http://www.clinicalpharmacology.com/apps/images/photo_us_h/086/sodi978d.jpg

Last edited:
...........Maybe try a pine tar or neem oil bar instead (I'd go with neem) ...............

I'd go with Pine Tar!

On a serious note, a friend of mine has terrible hands in winter, so I gave him some Pine Tar soap and it's really helping it out, but I think either would be a better idea than salt at the moment, if it's causing pain

I think moisturizing is going to be extremely important right now to help heal the skin, once its in better shape then less moisturizing is needed when using a quality cp soap.

I couldn't afford the expensive cerave moisturizer my dermatologist had recommended, so when the first tub I bought was getting low I decided to experiment and moisturized one leg with it and the other with straight coconut oil. Immediately after, the coconut oil leg still felt dry which disappointed me. But after a week, the coconut oil leg felt nice BEFORE putting on more oil while the cerave leg felt dry before putting it on. That was enough to convince me to stay with straight oils for mositurizing.

When my skin was so torn up, I was using the oil twice a day with the steroid. As things healed I was able to use the steroid less but kept up the oil. But over time I only needed to oil once a day. I also showered less, I don't shower more than every other day and I really only use the soap all over my body once a week, and stick to using it on my underarms and privates only in other showers. My soap sure lasts a long time lol! But I think this helped as well. Now I usually only need to mositurize all over after a shower, or if I notice my skin feeling dry in the winter. In the summer sometimes I don't moisturize after a shower and don't notice a difference.

I don't use straight oils anymore, once I had a bit more money I started making my own body butters with mixed oils and butters. I hope this can help her out a bit! It was an online forum that saved me. I posted on my german shepherd forum venting about how I was now allergic to my hypoallergenic body wash and Eucerin cream. People with dermatitis suggested CP soap and gave me links, and suggested pure butters like shea. So I started researching soap. I usually use very gentle unscented soap, but sometimes I use soap scented with essential oils. I stay away from fragrance oils since I react to so much stuff. And avoided the EOs until my skin came under control.

Latest posts

Back