Liquid soap cloudy after salt thickening

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevinkn24

Reaction score
Hello I make liquid soap with oil composition:
Olive 70%
Coconut 20%
Castor 10%

It makes a good clear soap
It color gold- yellow I really like the color

however after I thicken the soap using salt solution the soap color become cloudy. Any solution or salt recommendation? I use indutrial non iodium soap (thats what the seller said)

Attachments

• IMG_20230719_182326.jpg
    IMG_20230719_182326.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230719_182245.jpg
    IMG_20230719_182245.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
indutrial non iodium soap -- not sure what that is. Please give the chemical formula of this additive.

Try sodium lactate or a non-salt thickener

@DeeAnna I was confused as well and was thinking perhaps the OP meant to say "non-iodium salt" which I think would be non-iodized salt. It would be good to get clarification on that.

perhaps the OP meant to say "non-iodium salt"
:thumbs: Me too. "Non-iodized salt" makes sense to me.
however after I thicken the soap using salt solution the soap color become cloudy. Any solution or salt recommendation?
I don't have any experience thickening Castile Liquid Soap with salt but I do remember reading that it should be added slowly. Add. Stir. Wait a bit before adding more.

Here's a thread that might help:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/salt-to-thicken-liquid-soap.42582/#post-400260
ETA: While it might be cloudy at first, it may clear after a full 2-week sequester. I've experienced that with cloudy soap a few times.

Last edited:
@DeeAnna I was confused as well and was thinking perhaps the OP meant to say "non-iodium salt" which I think would be non-iodized salt. It would be good to get clarification on that.
There are two threads by the op with the same question and he mentions the same salt. Some if not everyone in this thread have already answered his questions in the other threads. Perhaps he's either not getting the answer he needs/wants or he's simply not reading the replies. 🤔

:thumbs: Me too. "Non-iodized salt" makes sense to me.

I don't have any experience thickening Castile Liquid Soap with salt but I do remember reading that it should be added slowly. Add. Stir. Wait a bit before adding more.

Here's a thread that might help:
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/salt-to-thicken-liquid-soap.42582/#post-400260
ETA: While it might be cloudy at first, it may clear after a full 2-week sequester. I've experienced that with cloudy soap a few times.
Thankyou

Latest posts

Back