Stick Blenders

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

The Efficacious Gentleman

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know why the time of day would be a factor [emoji5]

If the price difference isn't too much, a stronger motor is better. Most people use theirs in burst mode, so a few short bursts and then just stirring with the stick, a few more short bursts and so on - so the strain on the motor isn't huge, but if you have a very slow tracing recipe you could be add it for some time and that can indeed take a toll on the motor

SuzieOz

Reaction score
Hi PerthMobility,

500w will be fine. My first blender for CP was 750 and I found it VERY strong - in fact it took me a while to get used to how quickly my batter would trace and I kept over blending it. A few seconds and my batter would be suddenly at medium trace.

The blender I'm using now is 200w and I find it fine also, but much different to the first one. It just takes a bit longer, but still only 30 seconds at the most to come to trace. (Short bursts and stirring alternately).

I think it's kind of like having a new oven - every oven is different and you have to get used to it. Every new blender I use I have to go slow and get used to the feel of it again. (Most of mine my mother picks up from second hand markets).

Hope this helps :)

lisajudy2009

Reaction score
This is good to know. Mine takes forever. I want a new one. I'll have to check out salvation army

lenarenee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While a higher powered motor is not always stronger/faster, stronger and faster is not always better.

I've had quite a variety of sb'ers, since people find them second hand and give them to me. The strongest one I have is too strong to use in certain containers as it causes a lot more spray to fly up, and also more air bubbles. I absolutely can't use it in this 3 quart pitcher (tall rather than wide) because the spray is horrible. Its best used for wide containers with several inches of soap batter covering the bell to prevent the splatter.

Obsidian

Reaction score
I have a cheap 225 watt stick blender and its plenty strong enough. After two years use, its still going strong but the buttons have popped off so I'm getting a new one.
This time I'm getting a Cuisinart 200 watt SB. I see them on quite a few soaping videos and I like the shape of the bell, seems like they don't spray or suction to the bottom of the bowl.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Hamilton Beach stick-blender I've been soaping with for 11 years has 200 watts (and 2 speeds, too). It's plenty powerful for the likes of my formulas. I mostly make 2.8 lb/1270g batches, but sometimes around Christmas time I make 5 lbs/2268g batches. Like the others here, I just use it intermittently: a few seconds on, and about 30 seconds off with just hand stirring before turning it on for another few-seconds burst. My soap usually comes to trace in 5 to 10 minutes tops. I use a water discount, which helps things go quicker for me.

IrishLass :)

Obsidian

Reaction score
Irishlass, you must have gotten a really good blender. Mine is a hamilton beach and it started falling months ago. I ended up buying a Kitchenaid SB instead of the Cuisinart I wanted because thats all target had.

SuzieOz

Reaction score
PerthMobility - remember the voltage here in Australia is different too. I think this must make a big difference to how the blenders perform, though I confess I don't know a lot about it.

I've read of a lot of soapers having their batter take 10 minutes or more to trace, whereas with a 200w blender even my 70% olive oil mix comes to trace within a couple of minutes. I guess that's why when I started soaping I kept over-tracing my batter because I was expecting it to take much longer.

lisajudy2009

Reaction score
I have a cheap 225 watt stick blender and its plenty strong enough. After two years use, its still going strong but the buttons have popped off so I'm getting a new one.

This time I'm getting a Cuisinart 200 watt SB. I see them on quite a few soaping videos and I like the shape of the bell, seems like they don't spray or suction to the bottom of the bowl.

Can you post a link to that one? Please. :)

PerthMobility

Reaction score
What a truly great community this is. Thank you so much for all your replies. One of our big white goods stores has a Kambrook 500watt at less than AUD$49.95, so I will go with that. Thanks again. Mac