Stick Blenders

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why the time of day would be a factor [emoji5]

If the price difference isn't too much, a stronger motor is better. Most people use theirs in burst mode, so a few short bursts and then just stirring with the stick, a few more short bursts and so on - so the strain on the motor isn't huge, but if you have a very slow tracing recipe you could be add it for some time and that can indeed take a toll on the motor

Hi PerthMobility,

500w will be fine. My first blender for CP was 750 and I found it VERY strong - in fact it took me a while to get used to how quickly my batter would trace and I kept over blending it. A few seconds and my batter would be suddenly at medium trace.

The blender I'm using now is 200w and I find it fine also, but much different to the first one. It just takes a bit longer, but still only 30 seconds at the most to come to trace. (Short bursts and stirring alternately).

I think it's kind of like having a new oven - every oven is different and you have to get used to it. Every new blender I use I have to go slow and get used to the feel of it again. (Most of mine my mother picks up from second hand markets).

Hope this helps :)

While a higher powered motor is not always stronger/faster, stronger and faster is not always better.

I've had quite a variety of sb'ers, since people find them second hand and give them to me. The strongest one I have is too strong to use in certain containers as it causes a lot more spray to fly up, and also more air bubbles. I absolutely can't use it in this 3 quart pitcher (tall rather than wide) because the spray is horrible. Its best used for wide containers with several inches of soap batter covering the bell to prevent the splatter.

I have a cheap 225 watt stick blender and its plenty strong enough. After two years use, its still going strong but the buttons have popped off so I'm getting a new one.
This time I'm getting a Cuisinart 200 watt SB. I see them on quite a few soaping videos and I like the shape of the bell, seems like they don't spray or suction to the bottom of the bowl.

The Hamilton Beach stick-blender I've been soaping with for 11 years has 200 watts (and 2 speeds, too). It's plenty powerful for the likes of my formulas. I mostly make 2.8 lb/1270g batches, but sometimes around Christmas time I make 5 lbs/2268g batches. Like the others here, I just use it intermittently: a few seconds on, and about 30 seconds off with just hand stirring before turning it on for another few-seconds burst. My soap usually comes to trace in 5 to 10 minutes tops. I use a water discount, which helps things go quicker for me.

IrishLass :)

Irishlass, you must have gotten a really good blender. Mine is a hamilton beach and it started falling months ago. I ended up buying a Kitchenaid SB instead of the Cuisinart I wanted because thats all target had.

PerthMobility - remember the voltage here in Australia is different too. I think this must make a big difference to how the blenders perform, though I confess I don't know a lot about it.

I've read of a lot of soapers having their batter take 10 minutes or more to trace, whereas with a 200w blender even my 70% olive oil mix comes to trace within a couple of minutes. I guess that's why when I started soaping I kept over-tracing my batter because I was expecting it to take much longer.

I have a cheap 225 watt stick blender and its plenty strong enough. After two years use, its still going strong but the buttons have popped off so I'm getting a new one.

This time I'm getting a Cuisinart 200 watt SB. I see them on quite a few soaping videos and I like the shape of the bell, seems like they don't spray or suction to the bottom of the bowl.

Can you post a link to that one? Please. :)

Latest posts

Back