First soap ever: questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fofekow

Reaction score
Hello all!
I am getting all the ingredient and tools to do my very first batch. I have two questions:
1. I saw that a lot of people uses stick blender. Is it mandatory or I can mix it by hand ?

2. What advises would you give to someone who is about to do have their first experience in soap making ?

Thanks!

Hello, welcome.
1. No, not required. A whisk or spatula will do. Something to buy later.
2. Keep your batches small. You'll be less frustrated, waste less materials and have more fun.
Learn a recipe calculator. I used soapcal to start. But have migrated over to soap makers friend.
There are many recipes on the net. Good to get your teeth wet. Just run them thru a calculator.
One last thing. Wealth of knowledge in the search engine.

Welcome.gif

Please take a moment to go to the Introduction Forum and tell us a little about yourself. Repeat what you said in your post above and anything else you care to share. This will make it easier for us to help you on your Soapy Journey.

Next, take a cuppa along and explore the Beginners Forum to learn the things we talk about here.

Find the Beginners Learn to Soap Online thread that will help you get off on the right foot for making your first batches. Scroll down to "Lovin' Soap Studio" for a FREE GUIDE TO MAKING COLD PROCESS SOAP as well as well as sage advice about how to save money on supplies and equipment.

Use the Recipe Feedback Forum to get input for each batch you try before you try it. You have lots to learn and that's a good place to pick up TIPS.

Making as many small batches as you can, as often as you can, will have you up and running with the best of us in about 4 months if you put the time and effort into it. It's best to avoid adding fragrance and color until you have a solid recipe ( or 2 or 3) that delivers every time you make it.

Finally, you will want to show off your soaps in the Photo Gallery. We LUV pictures -- even when a batch goes awry. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does, see it as an opportunity to learn more. I only wish I had that available to me when I first started making soap in 2003. It's a great way to chronicle your progress in the Wonderful World of Soapmaking!!!

HAPPY SOAPING! :hippo::hippo::hippo:

Don’t start with 100% olive oil soaps, especially without a stick blender. It will take for ever to reach trace.

Don’t immediately use expensive ingredients; try basic scentless colorless soap first, and brace yourself for unsuccessful first batches. There’s a learning curve.

Welcome to soap making 😊

I started with a whisk for mixing, bought a stick blender (SB) and hated having so many air bubbles sneak into the soap, and have returned to primarily mixing with a whisk. On occasion I may SB for a few seconds to speed things up for a Castile or Basile soap and alternate with the whisk. The links from @Zany_in_CO will get you off to early addiction success. 😊

Don’t start with 100% olive oil soaps, especially without a stick blender. It will take for ever to reach trace.
GOOD ADVICE! I second that! But only IF you follow the traditional method of processing it.

ZANY'S NO SLIME CASTILE was formulated to not only trace faster, but there's no "slime" that 100% OO Castile is known for! It's ready to unmold and cut within 24 hours. Rather than waiting 3 months (or longer) to cure, it's ready to use in 2 weeks, although, the longer the cure the better it is. Just follow the directions exactly as written. I make it with 85% OO (pomace), 10% Coconut Oil 76°, and 5% Castor Oil. This results in a dense lather that feels like washing your face with cold cream. Rinses off cleanly, living the skin feeling refreshed, not dry or tight.

In this video, the soapmaker soaps cool (for whatever reason :rolleyes: ), rather than at 100 - 120°F. So it doesn't trace as quickly if she had only followed the recommended temps. But you can see how soon she can unmold and cut.

The links from @Zany_in_CO will get you off to early addiction success. 😊
😅 I'm nothing if not an enabler!

I have only ever got soap to trace by mixing by hand once. I tried again recently and eventually switched to the stick blender. Although, I think both recipes had olive oil.
I have heard of people using blenders, which may be cheaper and or easier to come by than a stick blender.
If soap is hotter it can trace quicker. I think the one time I succesfully got soap by hand I had to microwave it a few times to heat it- not ideal. Like others have said, all you need is oils, lye, and a mold. I've had some pretty cool soaps come out of cookie containers. Enjoy! And welcome. Please keep us posted.
EDIT: I may add that as soons as my soaps aren't squishy anymore and pretty much hardened up, I give them a shot. You don't need to wait the full 4-6 weeks to try your soap out. In my experience.
Also, I just made a batch where my oils were only 210 grams, and got 3 and half bars out of it. So you can start small for sure.

Last edited:

Don’t immediately use expensive ingredients; try basic scentless colorless soap first, and brace yourself for unsuccessful first batches. There’s a learning curve.

Welcome to soap making 😊
I'm glad you said it because I was gonna say I'm team stick blender! On account of the fact that I like olive oil soaps that take forever to come to trace 😆

Watch some videos and read what @Zany_in_CO sent above. I binged on soapqueen.com before I got started.
Always wear PPE - gloves, long sleeves and goggles for safety. 🌸
Yes, watch videos! We have thread listing our favorite soaping videos so that might be helpful as well ~ I'll go find it and link it in a bit

Found it! This thread is a good read!
Thread 'Your favourite soapers' blogs / YouTube channels' Your favourite soapers' blogs / YouTube channels

I binged on soapqueen.com before I got started.
Good advice! Anne Marie Faiola of Bramble Berry has been teaching the basics and more since forever! Video tutorials are fairly short and to the point. Very well done. Whatever you want to know about cold process soap making you can find answers there:

https://www.youtube.com/user/soapqueentv
Scroll down to "Where do I Start?"

Latest posts

Back