Spoon swirl advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
I tried a spoon swirl, and it didn't work. Bottom layer was brown, middle layer white, top layer green. I watched a video and followed the instructions. When I put the spoon in, it felt like the spoon was just moving through the soap, vs moving the soap around. So I tried putting in the spoon, then lifting a bit, then turning the spoon. The soap is basically 3 layer striped soap, with a few smudges of brown in the white layer, and a few smudges of white in the green layer. Any tips? Or good videos?

I've watched several videos and I've never been able to pull that one off. I guess I'm just spoon swirl handicapped. It doesn't look all that difficult in the videos but I just can't get it. I think mine were about like yours just different colors. :-D

I only did one spoon swirl in earnest and it turned out pretty hyper by my standards. It is a very busy looking soap! I followed the general guidance in the Soaping 101 video; sorry, that's about the best I can remember nearly a year down the road. But the first pic shows the difference between a bar from the middle of the mold where I was effective with the spoon (left bar), and a piece at the end of the loaf where my spoon didn't reach (right bar). You can see the uninterrupted flat layers in the end piece. The second pic shows just how crazy busy those soaps turned out -- a bit too much for my tastes! It reminded me of a zebra colliding with an elephant, so I named it Zebraphant.

I think one key might be to continually bring the spoon up as you are twisting it rather than lift then twist. But I'm not sure, to be honest.

spoon swirl middle vs end.jpg

post1.jpg

The batter looks quite thick when she swirled. I had the same problem when I did the spoon swirl with a batter that was too thin and I also think my layers were too thin in depth

katsntx, that's a really cool soap by any standard, but especially HP! I'm not slamming HP, I'm just admitting I'm not skilled enough to get that fine, fluid look. Did you use sodium lactate, or some other trick? And back on topic: what a great spoon swirl!

Latest posts

Back