Design suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My best bud here asked if I could make a soap to match his church's logo. What?! Does he think I can turn water into wine or something? Here's the logo:
IMG_1696.jpg

I'm thinking a tall & skinny mold in 3 layers. Bottom layer a In The Pot swirl of white with some gray. Or 4 thin layers of white alternating with 3 thin layers of gray. Middle layer a solid tan embed (not 16 separate ones). Top layer and part of middle layer, gray. I've no idea how to work a cross into that. Or I could just say, "Uh, that's a no."

For you architect fans, father and son architects Eliel Saarinen and Eero Saarinen (St. Louis Arch and Dulles Airport) designed this church, Christ Church Lutheran. I give my friend a bad time because my Frank Lloyd Wright church in Chicago was far superior. We're no longer college roommates but we're still competing....

This is a big undertaking. I think your plan is good. If you wanted to add the light color around the tan embed you could add that step and trim it to size with your handy dandy soap slicer. That depends on how much time and effort you have available for this project. For the cross you could use something to press the shape into the freshly cut bars as Kiwi suggested. All I am coming up with is using the edge of a wooden craft (popsicle) stick cut to size, but I really haven't had enough coffee yet for more creative thinking.

The other thing you might try is using the inlaid design technique where the design is carved out and filled in with new soap (or soap dough). Here is a link to the SMF challenge March 2020 Challenge: inlaid soap design It was also a Soap Challenge Club challenge so you can probably find YouTube videos.

One more thought is to use the sculpted layer technique. Also lots of YouTube videos available for that - look for Creamy Obsession. She is a master, and the designs don't have to be nearly as complicated as hers are. A good bit of soap is scraped out, but can be put in individual cavity molds or bags for soap dough so it isn't wasted. I'm pretty sure I Dream is Soap also has a tutorial video that can help with the math part of figuring out how much soap you need for each layer because 🤪😱🤯

My best bud here asked if I could make a soap to match his church's logo. What?! Does he think I can turn water into wine or something? Here's the logo:
View attachment 69245

I'm thinking a tall & skinny mold in 3 layers. Bottom layer a In The Pot swirl of white with some gray. Or 4 thin layers of white alternating with 3 thin layers of gray. Middle layer a solid tan embed (not 16 separate ones). Top layer and part of middle layer, gray. I've no idea how to work a cross into that. Or I could just say, "Uh, that's a no."

For you architect fans, father and son architects Eliel Saarinen and Eero Saarinen (St. Louis Arch and Dulles Airport) designed this church, Christ Church Lutheran. I give my friend a bad time because my Frank Lloyd Wright church in Chicago was far superior. We're no longer college roommates but we're still competing....

View attachment 69245

I'm pretty new at soaping but maybe you could find some mini cross silicone molds and you could make the crosses separately and stick them on your soap after you pour it in the mold maybe you could even find a mold for the minni squares to stick in your soap to but letters I have no clue maybe a word stamp like the others were saying. It's just a thought I don't know much about soaping yet.

Back