Spiders

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, but can only assume that things have happened that I'm not aware of, posts that were deleted before I read them or something that transpired via the PM system. I've not been on this forum as long as some others here, but in the several months since I joined I've never seen anyone just banned at random or on a whim, so I trust that the admin and mods had sufficient cause.

I've been on forums where anyone who annoyed a mod was fair game for banning and some that are run like little dictatorships, and I've not found SMF to be like that, not at all. I might not understand the decisions, but I do respect them and have condfidence that they were fairly made.

</soapbox>

I've had rats as pets before, they are lovely animals.
My little girl was totally house trained, very tame, just a really lovely companion. But unfortunately she got a tumour on her brain which is quite common apparently and she passed away. We had for about five years.
We got another one a few months after that, but the little bugger just wasn't the same personality type, chewed up everything, bit the kids, she ended up being rehoused.

I had the sweetest pet rat back when I was 19 or so, he was black with white feet and a white blaze on his chest, and I named him Boots. Since he was from "feeder rat" stock he wasn't exactly bred for health and longevity, and so only lived about a year and a half. Tumors like your girl, Chrissy. :(

One of my friends now has a two year old Agouti rat named Templeton, lol, he's the coolest critter.

They're going away... I hate it when that happens in forums. A sad but generally inevitable occurrence. :cry:

ChrissyB said:
I've had rats as pets before, they are lovely animals.
My little girl was totally house trained, very tame, just a really lovely companion. But unfortunately she got a tumour on her brain which is quite common apparently and she passed away. We had for about five years.
We got another one a few months after that, but the little bugger just wasn't the same personality type, chewed up everything, bit the kids, she ended up being rehoused.

They do get a bad rap, don't they? Rats are very sweet and smart animals, actually....

I think they are smart.
People think that they are smelly, but that's only if you don't clean out their bedding and cages...duh!
My little Tatty used to have a bath once a week. Peanut butter on celery was her favourite snack.
I cried my eyes out when she passed away it was so sad.

Now my eldest son has pet snakes. :shock:

I don't like rats. Their tail creeps me out. I do like mice though.

ChrissyB said:
People think that they are smelly, but that's only if you don't clean out their bedding and cages...duh!

Same as pigs.People say they're dirty smelly creatures but if humans were made to live in tiny enclosures with many others with no access to fresh air & water I bet we'd smell too! :)

gekko62 said:
ChrissyB said:

Same as pigs.People say they're dirty smelly creatures but if humans were made to live in tiny enclosures with many others with no access to fresh air & water I bet we'd smell too! :)

Naturally, I think humans are REALLY stinky! Think about all the stuff we have to do to make ourselves NOT smell... deodorant, teeth brushing, soap, etc. Yet somehow without using any of that my cats smell like morning sunshine.

Now on the subject of scary things, I'm cool with spiders, rats, bugs, etc.... but SNAKES... I have a completely irrational fear. It doesn't matter if it's a tiny garter snake or an anaconda, it has the exact same effect. Even now, I had to take my legs out from under the covers because any snake talk (read: thoughts) make me paranoid. You should have seen me after seeing snake show in Thailand, my hubby thought I was crazy when I jumped out of bed in the middle of the night yelling "snakes! snakes! Turn on the light!" Then again... in the snake show, as we got there, they were finishing a show for 3 Japanese tourists and their "finale" was swinging this python around into the audience by it's tail. The friggin' head almost hit this girl IN THE FACE!!! It literally was about 3 inches away!!! You could imagine the heart attack I almost had (luckily I was sitting about as far away as I could), my hubby stopped the show for a minute and said "you don't need to scare her, because she's already scared." :cry:

A funny bug story though, about a week or two ago, I was vacuuming out my car and somehow a Praying Mantis had gotten into the back by the rear window. I tried getting a piece of paper to give it something to climb on to get it out of the car. As I put the paper close to it it pulled up into (I SWEAR ON MY LIFE) the crane position from "The Karate Kid" and stayed like that until I took the paper away. BIZARRE!

For Jarvan who uses safari... you can download a plug-in called "Saft." I LOVE IT! You can block ad banners, etc. but it also saves your webpages, etc. if safari crashes or if you turn the computer off, etc. You can have it save your passwords, etc. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

kittywings said:
Now on the subject of scary things, I'm cool with spiders, rats, bugs, etc.... but SNAKES... I have a completely irrational fear. It doesn't matter if it's a tiny garter snake or an anaconda, it has the exact same effect. Even now, I had to take my legs out from under the covers because any snake talk (read: thoughts) make me paranoid. You should have seen me after seeing snake show in Thailand, my hubby thought I was crazy when I jumped out of bed in the middle of the night yelling "snakes! snakes! Turn on the light!" Then again... in the snake show, as we got there, they were finishing a show for 3 Japanese tourists and their "finale" was swinging this python around into the audience by it's tail. The friggin' head almost hit this girl IN THE FACE!!! It literally was about 3 inches away!!! You could imagine the heart attack I almost had (luckily I was sitting about as far away as I could), my hubby stopped the show for a minute and said "you don't need to scare her, because she's already scared." :cry:

In the wild,snakes give me the absolute heebee jeebees.But when I was in Vietnam we went to this place that had a HUGE python(it's body was roughly the diameter of a human thigh,& it was loooong). My darling loving sisters volunteered me for the foto op,didn't they? Having it draped over my neck was OK.Feeling the weight of the thing started to get me a little worried.My god,snakes are one big muscle pretty much,that one coulda squashed me & had me for lunch.And then it started moving,turned it's head & looked at me,& started wiggling it's way closer to my head,staring at me & when it got to about a foot away 2 attendants quickly stepped up & held its upper body & took it off me.It was really really scary.I think it was going to latch on.Brrrrr Im getting the shivers just thinking about it.

I incorrectly quoted in this message...deleted it and can't get rid of the empty message so I thought I would put some words in the empty box. :roll:

"kittywings" said:

For Jarvan who uses safari... you can download a plug-in called "Saft." I LOVE IT! You can block ad banners, etc. but it also saves your webpages, etc. if safari crashes or if you turn the computer off, etc. You can have it save your passwords, etc. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Thanks Kittywings! I will DL Saft ASAP.

gekko62 said:
In the wild,snakes give me the absolute heebee jeebees.But when I was in Vietnam we went to this place that had a HUGE python(it's body was roughly the diameter of a human thigh,& it was loooong). My darling loving sisters volunteered me for the foto op,didn't they? Having it draped over my neck was OK.Feeling the weight of the thing started to get me a little worried.My god,snakes are one big muscle pretty much,that one coulda squashed me & had me for lunch.And then it started moving,turned it's head & looked at me,& started wiggling it's way closer to my head,staring at me & when it got to about a foot away 2 attendants quickly stepped up & held its upper body & took it off me.It was really really scary.I think it was going to latch on.Brrrrr Im getting the shivers just thinking about it.

OH MY GOD!!!! I would have had a heart attack! Your story is my worst fear! (shivers) They did the snake around the heck thing with my hubby... I took a picture for him.... from 15 ft. away.

The whole snake swinging thing is just cruel though. I am terrified of snakes, but I don't want to harm them.... that's just mean.

Speaking of spiders. I have a spider story. The other night I was getting the mail (we have community mailboxes) and I dropped some. I bent down to pick it up and found myself face to face with a black widow (they are really common out here). It was about an inch from my nose. I'm not afraid of spiders. I think they are facinating but I'm still a little creeped out by them. I looked at the other mailboxes in the group and they ALL had black widows. I called the home owner's association this am to let them know. Hopefully they do something about it because tons of lazy people send their kids to get the mail. They take our money but we still have spiders and a broken slide in our park. What are they doing???

Oh and a snake story too. I love snakes. I have a friend who breeds and milks snakes for a living. When I was younger, I lived in this apartment that backed up to a wooded area. One night while walking my roommate's dog, I found a young copperhead in front of my downstairs neighbor's door. I tied the dog up, knocked on the door to tell them to stay inside, got some sticks, picked up the snake and moved it back into the woods. They thought I was insane but they had young kids and a small dog. I knew how to move it safely so just seemed like the right thing to do.

Snakes, no problem. Spiders no problem. Cave crickets? That's a problem. Those things scare the crap out of me. They have long legs like spiders but they jump like nobody's business. I was going to post a picture but I can't do that to you guys. Our old basement in Northern VA was infested with them. I have goosebumps right now just thinking about it. Yuck!

artisan soaps said:
I really like the fuzzy little guy, but then I kiss rats and often have them climbing all over me which I know would be other peoples worst nightmare, so I get it ..

If you can't block it with your browser then I'd shoot a PM to the owner of the avatar and I'm sure they'll change it if you explain ..

I already changed yesterday.

Latest posts

Back