Soy Wax Users

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Google to determine conversions for Celsius to Fahrenheit when I need to know. Just type 'Celsius to Fahrenheit' into the search bar and it comes right up.

Yes the 415 soy wax melting point is 120-125° F, and that one is 136 - 140° F, which makes me wonder if it's a blend of another wax. Looking at CandleScience's site, none of the soy waxes fall into that range for melting point. Maybe for the pouring temp (for candle pouring), but not for melting point.

Here is a link that tells you about which ones have additives and their melting points:

https://www.candlescience.com/learning/wax-guide

Are you able to order from Amazon? Here is what I buy from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Brand...?srs=4739059011&ie=UTF8&qid=1551918655&sr=8-1

Lol yes but my brain wasn't functioning earlier at past 3am but I did do the conversion and the numbers indeed do not match.

Unfortunately, very few suppliers deliver to here if you buy from Amazon and most of the time shipping fees aren't worth it. Thank you though @earlene :)

Does anyone here actually know what the "soy based additive" is in the 444 wax? Seems like no one (so far) carries the 415 and I've asked 5 suppliers. Waiting to hear from 3 more but I'm not holding my breath.

Most have no idea what they have pfft, but the lady I order my EOs from right away said hers is 444. It has the same melting point as the 415 apparently but as she doesn't soap, has never tried her soy wax in anything other than candles. None of her customers have asked her what I did so she assumes either it just doesn't work or there's not enough info to work with. I'm betting the second coz I found a couple of sites (US based companies) that list soap under uses but don't give info on how.

Frustrating sometimes when you can't find something lol first it was lard, now this. Sustainable palm oil is still elusive but I'm not looking too hard.

Just buy a little bit and try it Dawni - keep us posted. Unless your fear is that it's something chemically/bad?
No, not that. I'd just hate to waste all the materials if it's something that won't make soap? Haha although I guess since it's also soy based it should be ok?

But yes, I guess the only thing left to do is try. I'll just plug it in the calc and hope for the best? Lol

Apparently the additive is only 2% so hopefully I don't have to adjust superfat or increase lye or whatever..

No, not that. I'd just hate to waste all the materials if it's something that won't make soap? Haha although I guess since it's also soy based it should be ok?

But yes, I guess the only thing left to do is try. I'll just plug it in the calc and hope for the best? Lol

Apparently the additive is only 2% so hopefully I don't have to adjust superfat or increase lye or whatever..

Do you have access to refined cocoa butter? Is it cheap in ur country?

Do you have access to refined cocoa butter? Is it cheap in ur country?
Yes I do, but currently use unrefined. Used more of it before I found lard and yes, it is slightly pricier than soy wax per kg. I also use Shea and it's even pricier.

I like that the butters add to hardness and also conditioning so I'm not looking at any other wax without any other benefits, other than soy, because the others cost as much as the butters.

Dawni. Can you order from Amazon? I use 415 and it's great, but soy is typically not a sustainable crop nor npn-gmo. Does that matter? I thought there was discussion on this. Anyhoo, can you order from Amazon?

Dawni. Can you order from Amazon? I use 415 and it's great, but soy is typically not a sustainable crop nor npn-gmo. Does that matter? I thought there was discussion on this. Anyhoo, can you order from Amazon?
This
Unfortunately, very few suppliers deliver to here if you buy from Amazon and most of the time shipping fees aren't worth it.
But I have no problems with GMOs. There's no way around them in my opinion. Same as palm and greenhouse gas from animals. Best thing is not to stop using them but to push for better, more sustainable ways to produce them. But that's another discussion hehehe

Does this piece of paper indicate anything of importance?

One supplier I asked keeps saying they have 100% pure soy wax, but can't tell me if it's the 415 kind, but sent me this lol
View attachment 37199
A bit late to the party, but I recognised the PW422 in the code (from years ago, weird) ... anyway, I think it is a parrafin wax blend, like this one: https://www.kerax.com/product/kerawax-422-5660/ (which is coded KW422, with the KW being the brand, instead of parrafin wax).

A bit late to the party, but I recognised the PW422 in the code (from years ago, weird) ... anyway, I think it is a parrafin wax blend, like this one: https://www.kerax.com/product/kerawax-422-5660/ (which is coded KW422, with the KW being the brand, instead of parrafin wax).
Eh? So much for 100% soy lols these suppliers have no idea what they're selling! Ugh..

I think, just for testing, I'll stick to the one where the lady is sure she has the 444 one. If anything, at least the additive is still soy based. Thanks SaltedFig :)

This one has the same melting point as 415. This one is being sold for skin care. Maybe contact the suppliers to ensure they are pure.

This one has the same melting point as 415. This one is being sold for skin care. Maybe contact the suppliers to ensure they are pure.
First one costs almost as much as my 1kg cocoa and shea combined so I didn't ask. Also, ships from China, and while I've tried toys and clothes from those vendors I'm not sure I wanna risk raw materials.

I'm still waiting for a response from the second one. They're one of those I've asked already, but it's been several days....

I am happy to report that this weekend I graduate not just past mono-oil soap making, but right up to Soy Boy Wax User level! I have my soy wax GW415, I have the recipe of the wonderful Princess Poly-Oil herself (thanks @KiwiMoose!), and I have enthusiasm. It will be white, it will be unscented, but by golly it will be beautiful the best I've made so far.

Chalk up another soy wax user up for the team! Thanks for sharing your ideas, recipes and support here, I'll report back when I can.

I am happy to report that this weekend I graduate not just past mono-oil soap making, but right up to Soy Boy Wax User level! I have my soy wax GW415, I have the recipe of the wonderful Princess Poly-Oil herself (thanks @KiwiMoose!), and I have enthusiasm. It will be white, it will be unscented, but by golly it will be beautiful the best I've made so far.

Chalk up another soy wax user up for the team! Thanks for sharing your ideas, recipes and support here, I'll report back when I can.

Welcome to the Soy Wax Club! Glad to see the Kiwi kontingent is growing. :dance:

Dawni, if I didn't have access to the 415 soy wax, I would definitely try the 444 soy wax you found in a small test batch to evaluate it in comparison to the soaps I had already made. Since you don't have any 415 to compare it to, it makes it kind of a moot point.

But you know, since you are asking these vendors about the 415 soy wax, perhaps eventually they will start carrying it as they are now seeing a market for it. If it were me, I'd keep hounding them for answers in hopes that they would see the niche that could be filled if they would only start carrying it. It doesn't always work, but sometimes a vendor will start to provide products the consumers actually want.

Dawni, if I didn't have access to the 415 soy wax, I would definitely try the 444 soy wax you found in a small test batch to evaluate it in comparison to the soaps I had already made. Since you don't have any 415 to compare it to, it makes it kind of a moot point.

But you know, since you are asking these vendors about the 415 soy wax, perhaps eventually they will start carrying it as they are now seeing a market for it. If it were me, I'd keep hounding them for answers in hopes that they would see the niche that could be filled if they would only start carrying it. It doesn't always work, but sometimes a vendor will start to provide products the consumers actually want.
I have a feeling they don't carry it exactly because there wasn't a niche for it. I'm betting they looked for, and found, a "better" wax for candles and got the 444 and no one was educated enough to tell them that they should have more options. Dunno about the candle makers we have here, if any of them is very particular about their waxes. Maybe I should ask them where they get theirs from and maybe someone does use 415.

I also decided to see if I could find any handmade soap that listed soy wax as an ingredient and so far found none, but I have not made a very thorough search. Maybe I'll start a trend lol and then eventually the suppliers can catch on.

I am now asking who is coming in from somewhere else, if they can maybe carry for me a small amount of the 415 so I can make a comparison, like you said. I will still try the 444 just to see if it makes soap lol before someone can get the 415 for me.

Back