Soy Wax Users

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry! I was just giving context to why it is an issue in the United States.... I’m for the use of soy! Use whatever works I say.

Thats in now shes no longer kiwi moose shes just good old angry moose. And you know meese have horns right? :beatinghead:

Kiwi moose im not suggesting you are old. And yes i know meese isnt the right word i just found it amusing :)

I've successfully used soy wax (supplier labeled as "soft soy wax") at 10% for a swirly recipe with 25% shea butter and it behaved surprisingly well even under a steep water discount, though the rest was slow-moving oils. Batter remained a fluid, pourable consistency for more than an hour. Really like the hardness and longevity it adds to soaps with a high proportion of sweet almond oil which bubbles well but dissolves quickly.

Soy wax swirl recipe:

Almond Oil, sweet 25%
Shea Butter 25%
Olive Oil 25%
Coconut Oil, 76 deg 10%
Soybean, fully hydrogenated (soy wax) 10%
Castor Oil 5%

it has good stats on soapcalc ;)

I’m not really angry moose :)

Apologies for the slight hijack of your thread, Grere. I can't resist any opportunity to inform people and point them to resources on a huge range of health topics (medicine is my main hobby, has been for 41 years).
I'm one of "the much smaller populations like the super health conscious" that @lenarenee mentioned. :thumbs:

I do understand that it's not always welcomed nor appreciated, but it's my personal moral imperative... so... a bit of a quandary, there. Again, I apologize.

Apologies for the slight hijack of your thread, Grere. I can't resist any opportunity to inform people and point them to resources on a huge range of health topics (medicine is my main hobby, has been for 41 years).
I'm one of "the much smaller populations like the super health conscious" that @lenarenee mentioned. :thumbs:

I do understand that it's not always welcomed nor appreciated, but it's my personal moral imperative... so... a bit of a quandary, there. Again, I apologize.

Meena. More and more people are beginning to question what the food industry frequently and routinely do not want the general populace to be aware of. No way you’re going to get anyone to certify non-gmo soy wax with a straight face. A hormone, regardless of where it originates is a biochemical compound that likely does have some effect. How much or little is not known. That is the problem. I have a molecular bio background, pathogenic and cancer research experience and worked for the USDA. I understand the science and I can tell you that the industry is not fully aware of the consequences of genetically modified foods and their effects on humans.

All to say, soy wax rocks in soap! Don’t ingest, please.[emoji12]

I’m not really angry moose :)

Really? :D
upload_2019-2-2_19-49-42.gif

Meena. More and more people are beginning to question what the food industry frequently and routinely do not want the general populace to be aware of. No way you’re going to get anyone to certify non-gmo soy wax with a straight face. A hormone, regardless of where it originates is a biochemical compound that likely does have some effect. How much or little is not known. That is the problem. I have a molecular bio background, pathogenic and cancer research experience and worked for the USDA. I understand the science and I can tell you that the industry is not fully aware of the consequences of genetically modified foods and their effects on humans.

[emoji12]

Absolutely right -- no, they do not understand the consequences. Monsanto was not supposed to conduct open-field trials, but did so anyway. There is NO WAY to recall this genetic material, now that it has been released into the environment. It almost ruined Mexico, which is the country housing the largest genetic pool of corn varieties which exist. They have been desperately struggling to mitigate the damages to this heritage.

Just wait till we see what happens when Roundup has Killed all the Soil Microbes!!! Have you seen the numbers on total gallons or tons (I'll have to look up that # when I'm not on my phone) of Glyphosate that are being sprayed on this country annually? It's in the hundreds of millions, and that's enough money to pay for a lot of goons and advertising.

I see people in progressive Denver spraying that war chemical turned agricultural poison around their homes and businesses! This stuff is just Business as Usual to people!! (Sorry for all the !!!)

Thank you so much for your words. They mean a lot coming from a scientist.

:lol: where in the heck did you find that video!?!??!?!! too funny

Last edited by a moderator:
I am totally staying out of all debate about use of palm and/or soy in foods.

Are we talking about the soy wax used to make candles, though? I am being forced to consider making a vegetarian/vegan soap by a customer. I warned her that it might be months before I get a recipe I like developed. Does anyone have suggestions that use only 4-5 oils?

Here u go @Susie

Candle wax can have additives. U want 100% hydrogenated soy bean oil (“415”).
I just checked with one supplier and the lady said their soy wax is 444. I'm off to check now what that means and if anyone else has a different soy wax.

Last edited:
I just checked with one supplier and the lady said their soy wax is 444. I'm off to check now what that means and if anyone elsr has a different soy wax.

"Our 444 soy wax is different from the 415 soy wax because it does have a soy based additive added to it, but yet it is still a natural wax. ... Our 444 wax can be blended with microcrystalline, beeswax, and paraffin waxes, has the same melting point as the 415, and a pour temperature of 135 degrees Fahrenheit"

Lol yes, just got back from Google and read the same thing. I wonder what is that "soy based additive" and what would it possibly do to soap, and will both even have the same SAP value?

Anyway, I have a couple of other places to try. Let's see..

I just checked with one supplier and the lady said their soy wax is 444. I'm off to check now what that means and if anyone else has a different soy wax.

I use Natural Soy 125 (415) wax. I have been told is is ONLY soy with no preservatives. It has worked really well for me.

I have used soy wax (the 415, 87% stearic acid) in a couple soaps to boost up the stearic acid content, and in shaving soap. It works nicely for those purposes.

The 415 version is fully hydrogenated, so it only contains stearic and palmitic acid and glyerol. It's like any other "oil", although it has a fairly high melting point so you have to soap pretty warm. Very handy for balancing a recipe toward the saturated side of the fatty acid profile.

It saponifies rather slowly for me, but I was using it in a soy oil/canola oil blend, and those are fairly slow as well.

Nothing magic about it, it's just a source of stearic acid as far as I'm concerned, and works like any other high stearic acid oil in soap.

There are other versions that are not fully hydrogenated, if you use those you will need to find out what the fatty acid profile is. SoapCalc lists at least one other hydrogenated soy oil, don't remember off hand what it's like.

Be sure you do not have "soy wax" with added petroleum waxes used to make candles! There are blends out there that make lovely candles, and terrible soap with solid paraffin wax distributed through the soap....

For that vegetarian soap, try 20% soy wax 415, 40% OO or HO safflower oil, and 40% whatever other plant oils you like. It will be soft until it's fully cured, but is very nice soap. You will need to add an anti-oxidant though.

Or 100% HO safflower oil makes a very nice, bright white soap too. Similar to Castile.

Does this piece of paper indicate anything of importance?

One supplier I asked keeps saying they have 100% pure soy wax, but can't tell me if it's the 415 kind, but sent me this lol
_20190306_011609.JPG

That tells me a whole bunch of zilch! I don't think it's 415 because 415 has a lower melting point than that.
Good to know. I Googled and found info but couldn't get the Fahrenheits and Celsius to convert themselves at 2 in the morning lol

Alrighty then.. On to the next supplier. Thanks love.

Latest posts

Back