Soy Wax CP soap recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justwrite80

Reaction score
Hi! My first post here in the Forum although I have been reading in here meticulously for weeks! I am on my 6th cold process soap batch where I have been experimenting with various formulations. I am trying this new recipe today (see photo plz), and wanted to know your thoughts, critiques, or advice! Please help. I plan to do a basic drop swirl with one color green and the other color the natural batch. Fragranced with Eucalyptus EO.
:)

Thank you for the wealth of information here. I appreciate everyone's expertise.

P.S. With my last (5th) batch, I think I have finally (hopefully) grasped the concept of Emulsion versus Light Trace :) Thanks to You All here for the advice that finally drilled it into my newbie head.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240326-133334.png
    Screenshot_20240326-133334.png
    310.6 KB · Views: 0
I think I have finally (hopefully) grasped the concept of Emulsion versus Light Trace
This is a really hard lesson, the key to doing a lot (if not most) designs if you like that kind of thing. I've been soaping for years and I'm still not sure I've mastered it! Good work. I've never used soy wax but from the numbers I would think that recipe would be fine if you're only doing a one color drop swirl.

Re the recipe, it doesn't seem like there are any obvious issues. For me it would be a little high on the cleansing and a little low on the conditioning, but I have dry skin, it might be perfect for you. It also could trace a little quicker than you're used to, but it will make a nice, hard bar.

This is a really hard lesson, the key to doing a lot (if not most) designs if you like that kind of thing. I've been soaping for years and I'm still not sure I've mastered it! Good work. I've never used soy wax but from the numbers I would think that recipe would be fine if you're only doing a one color drop swirl.

Re the recipe, it doesn't seem like there are any obvious issues. For me it would be a little high on the cleansing and a little low on the conditioning, but I have dry skin, it might be perfect for you. It also could trace a little quicker than you're used to, but it will make a nice, hard bar.
Thank you! I just finished it and all went well! Soaped at 100F and had plenty of time to work. So far my easiest/best batch yet but again that could be due to me not over SB. I have liquid oils right now of only castor and a Sunflower/Olive Oil blend. (80% sun 20% olive) and I am afraid to use the blend over 30% in a recipe. I would love to have it be more conditioning. Do you think I could safely increase the sunflower oil in this recipe? If so up to how much?

Recipe looks pretty good - are you using high oleic sunflower?
I use Soy wax in every batch at 20%.
I don't believe so. It is an 80/20 blend of 80% sunflower and 20% olive oil from walmart. And thank you for the reply! I read other posts from you and comments where you said you used soy wax which gave me the confidence to make this recipe actually :)

I don't believe so. It is an 80/20 blend of 80% sunflower and 20% olive oil from walmart. And thank you for the reply! I read other posts from you and comments where you said you used soy wax which gave me the confidence to make this recipe actually :)
Also just a note that the label says it is Sunflower and extra virgin but if you look at the ingredients it just says sunflower and olive oil

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240326-150600.png
    Screenshot_20240326-150600.png
    614.2 KB · Views: 0
You're very welcome :)
I'm not a sunflower user - but I think the general consensus is to use the high-oleic variety. Maybe the lower oleic can promote DOS?
You could try adding some avocado oil. I'm not sure of the price of it over there - it's not cheap here - but if you could use 5 or 10% of that I think you might like it. It will contribute way more to your soap than sunflower oil.

You're very welcome :)
I'm not a sunflower user - but I think the general consensus is to use the high-oleic variety. Maybe the lower oleic can promote DOS?
You could try adding some avocado oil. I'm not sure of the price of it over there - it's not cheap here - but if you could use 5 or 10% of that I think you might like it. It will contribute way more to your soap than sunflower oil.
Okay I have made one loaf w Avocado and really liked it. Thank you!

Just noticed this thread...are you all using soywax as in soy wax for candle making? If yes, what a great idea as I had not thought about this. I am wondering if 464 would be a good choice. Any thoughts?

Just noticed this thread...are you all using soywax as in soy wax for candle making? If yes, what a great idea as I had not thought about this. I am wondering if 464 would be a good choice. Any thoughts?
I'm not sure on the type sorry. I just purchase 100% Soy Wax it doesn't specify.

Latest posts

Back