Soapmaker's Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marilynmac

Reaction score
Surely this has been done... what would you use to clean up your hands after making a batch of soap? Something to get the EO scent off, and counteract the drying that happened from getting your hands in soap solution and washing all those dishes?

I use Dawn, it cuts the grease very well, but does a number on my hands, and doesn't get rid of fragrance.

Gloves.. my hands sweat so much in gloves that they get unusable after 10 minutes; I start dropping things and knocking them over.

Lotion it is! I made some lotion bars, like chapstick for my hands. that should do the trick.

I wear gloves for clean-up (when handling lye too) so my skin stays safe. Then I use one of my own soaps to clean my hands.

I use a vinegar-Dawn mix, my main cleaner for most everything for the last two years. I make it by the gallon in old vinegar jugs: 1 qt vinegar, 1 qt water, 1/2-1 Tbsp Dawn (stronger for heavy-duty grease cleaning).

It's very cheap, gentle and safe, removes scent pretty well, cuts grease really well (stove tops and range hoods!), removes soap scum on shower walls and sinks... I've even used it to wash the kitchen floor. The only thing it's not good for is washing windows. :)

If my hands still smell after spraying my hands with this mix, I finish with a coffee soap with coffee-grounds.

Using gloves is usually the best way. This time last year, I started making a lot of soap for Christmas. I wore gloves during part of it, but I'd find myself taking off my gloves to open a color or a fragrance, then not putting them back on. My hands were so dry that all of my fingernails broke off. Not painfully or anything, but my nails were so dry and brittle they'd crack and break very easily.

I've been meaning to make a 100% coconut soap with coffee for after-soaping clean up.

I use gloves(lots of years nursing experience with wearing gloves). But, I use paper towels to wipe out all residue, then lots of cold water, followed by lots of hot water and some 100% coconut oil liquid soap to finish.

That sounds interesting. Would you mind sharing the type of base soap and proportions of solids?

Cheers-
Dave

Mechanic's Black Soap: OO, CO, and Lard, with 8% beeswax and castor oil; 32 oz total.
1.6 oz Pumice powder, 1 Tbsp activated coconut charcoal, 2Tbsp coffee grounds.
1 tsp sandalwood FO, 2 tsp grapefruit EO. The grapefruit faded away.

It's only 3 weeks old, I've been using tiny bits of it but haven't really tested it. I'm pretty sure there's too much CO in it, but we'll call that "extra cleansing" :wink:.

The soap is a beautiful deep black color, with a bit of white ash on the top and it is gorgeous! THe suds are a little bit gray, but it doesn't stain your hands.http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Gloves.. my hands sweat so much in gloves that they get unusable after 10 minutes; I start dropping things and knocking them over.

I hate wearing gloves, too, but I learned a trick that has made it quite comfortable and bearable for me to wear them even for long periods of time if need be. I wear a pair of these underneath my soaping gloves (whether my soaping gloves be rubber, latex or nitrile):

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BKFF76/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They are stretchy and form-fitting and not bulky to wear under my gloves at all, and they keep my hands from getting sweaty in the outer gloves.

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Dawn, it cuts the grease very well, but does a number on my hands, and doesn't get rid of fragrance.

Lotion it is! I made some lotion bars, like chapstick for my hands. that should do the trick.
I use latex gloves and change them twice, and it is ok. Everyone is sweating in gloves, but less in latex if you are not allergic to it:)

Latest posts

Back