soapee.com vs lyecalc.com vs soapcalc.net

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wy234

Reaction score
I first tried soapcalc, but then was happy to find soapee.com because it let me save my recipes. I plugged in a recipe to both and got identical numbers. Woo hoo! But then I tried lyecalc.com which seemed to have an even better interface, but it gave me different numbers. So, trying to figure out why, I think I may have found it. Just wondering what you all think.
Olive Oil at soapee:
https://soapee.com/oils/87Olive oil at lyecalc:
https://www.lyecalc.com/oil/olive-oil-all-gradesthey each have slightly different numbers for olive oil. Is this the reason for the differing numbers for the recipes if I use olive oil in my recipe?
Which one is closer to basic olive oil I might buy at costco or walmart?

The reason for the slightly different numbers is because each company uses a slightly different saponification value for the oils, butters and other fats used for soap making.

I have tried several different ones and they ALL have their pros and cons. What I recommend is that you a soap calculator that YOU like and so long as the numbers are on par with other calculators...go for it.

Thank you for the replies! I'm just starting to learn about soap making. It's very interesting! I just unmolded my first 100% coconut oil bars to use in a powdered laundry soap soon.

Hi:
When you use the SoapCalc.net -- will it tell you, if there is too much lye?
Thank you.
Yes, if you put in a recipe you received from someone, found in a book or on the Internet, it will tell you if the Lye amount is correct regardless of which Lye Concentration you use. And that is because whether you are using a 33% Lye Concentration or a 40% Lye Concentration, the amount of Sodium Hydroxide is calculated based on the saponification value of the oils and thus does not change based on how much water/liquid you are using.
Because it costs $72/year and the other is free.

You can save recipes on SoapCalc.

Hover your mouse over each number to learn how it functions. Here's what it says under Help # 8

After clicking 'Calculate Recipe', your recipe can be saved using the 'Save Recipe' button. Up to 8 recipes can be saved as cookies on your device - choose one of the recipe names in the drop down menu before clicking 'Save Recipe'. (Sorry, the recipe names can not be changed.)
Recipes will be saved using percentages if the round '%' button is selected; or in weights if the round weight button is selected.
Note: By design, some buttons are grayed out (disabled) until 'Calculate Recipe' has been clicked.

Here's a screenshot of the Basic Trinity of Oils I saved.

1699902979026.png

Learn to Use SoapCalc

Understanding SoapCalc Values

HTH (Hope That Helps) 😉

The two 'downsides' to SoapCalc:

1) The recipes are only saved to the device they are saved on and if you erase your Cookies, you erase the recipes.

2) It doesn't save your Additives or Notes. Not a huge issue since you can save them to PDF when you Print.

But it IS free. You can save up to 12 recipes for free. You can print to PDF for free.

Latest posts

Back