How much and which essential oil? And which honey?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overedith

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm new to soapmaking and experimenting with making soap with honey. It's for a spring market for the school of my child, where a queen bee will hand out small free honey soaps.
I have this recipy below, which turns out oke, but it doesn't smell nice. In the recipe it sais to add a few drops of essentiol oil (orange and patchouli). But in the soap calculator it sais to add 24 gram. I tried both, but I'm not happy with the smell (no smell, or a very strong smell, and also a bit of a chemical smell). Maybe I should wait a few weeks untill the soap has matured, but this will take too long.
My question is: which essential oil(s) would you add to this recipy and how much? I would like to not spend too much money on it.
Another question for the honey: which honey would you use, and does the type of honey make a difference in the color the soap turns out to be? I would like it to have a warm yellow color. i will add the honey (dilluted in some water) after the trace.

780g olive oil
160g coconut oil
60g shea butter
2 teasp honey
278g water
132g natriumhydroxide

Thanks in advance!
Edith

Citrus essential oils are notorious for not sticking well in CP soap. Patchouli is strong and does stick well, but not everyone likes it (shocking, I know 😂)! Maybe try a patchouli and lavender blend. Or if you have access to a melt and pour base made with honey and it isn’t too expensive you might consider that - your orange essential oil will stick in that. I love your avatar!

I use the cheapest honey I can get. I hope you mean sodium hydroxide, not natrium hydroxide.
Thanks, good to know. And in Dutch sodium and natrium hydroxide are the same...

Citrus essential oils are notorious for not sticking well in CP soap. Patchouli is strong and does stick well, but not everyone likes it (shocking, I know 😂)! Maybe try a patchouli and lavender blend. Or if you have access to a melt and pour base made with honey and it isn’t too expensive you might consider that - your orange essential oil will stick in that. I love your avatar!
Thanks for your comment on my avatar :). What do you mean by not sticking well? Will the smell vanish easily??

Why not use honey FO? Be sure to use one that does not discolor. Pure Honey Fragrance Oil
I would like it if it is not too expensive. How much of this would you use?

I know this is not what you asked but I am noticing that the recipe is 78% olive oil, so it may need a long curing time. I cure my high olive oil soaps 12 weeks. Also it has a 12% SF, this may also impact the hardness and lather.
@dibbles suggestion - "Or if you have access to a melt and pour base made with honey" is a great idea. Melt and Pour does not require as much fragrance. One can try one bar at a time until you've achieved what you like.

This recent thread has some ideas for testing EO blends - Citrus woody scents

I agree that the superfat is unnecessarily high, as is the water (unless you are hot-processing the soap). With all that olive oil and all that water, this recipe will take longer to trace, longer to harden up in the mold, and longer to cure.

If you are short on time, the suggestion for using a melt & pour base (sometimes called glycerin soap base) is probably a better choice for you.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

enI would like it if it is not too expensive. How much of this would you use?
Sct StrengthOuncesGramsPercentage
IFRA Maximum usage: Category 90.50 oz14.11 g3.11%
Light scented0.48 oz13.61 g3%
Medium scented0.72 oz20.41 g4.5%
Strong scented0.96 oz27.22 g6%
Performance: accelerates
Discoloration: none
This is recommendations for 16 of oil using Pure Honey FO from Brambleberry. Use the percentages at the right for the amount of oils you will be using.

Hello,
I'm new to soapmaking and experimenting with making soap with honey. It's for a spring market for the school of my child, where a queen bee will hand out small free honey soaps.
I have this recipy below, which turns out oke, but it doesn't smell nice. In the recipe it sais to add a few drops of essentiol oil (orange and patchouli). But in the soap calculator it sais to add 24 gram. I tried both, but I'm not happy with the smell (no smell, or a very strong smell, and also a bit of a chemical smell). Maybe I should wait a few weeks untill the soap has matured, but this will take too long.
My question is: which essential oil(s) would you add to this recipy and how much? I would like to not spend too much money on it.
Another question for the honey: which honey would you use, and does the type of honey make a difference in the color the soap turns out to be? I would like it to have a warm yellow color. i will add the honey (dilluted in some water) after the trace.

780g olive oil
160g coconut oil
60g shea butter
2 teasp honey
278g water
132g natriumhydroxide

Thanks in advance!
Edith
What is natrium hydroxide? I would use a fragrance oil (usage rate as indicated by the company from which I make the purchase). Bramble Berry makes a nice wildflower honey fragrance oil). If you want color, I would opt for a mica or, if you are going natural, tumeric. Honey is only going to add bubbles to the soap so I would opt for powdered sugar (1 tsp PPO). Just my opinion(s) of course.

Latest posts

Back