Formulating on and on and on...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ran the numbers for those interested - Shea or lard at 50%, coconut 25%, castor 5%, ho sunflower 20%
TIP: What's really cool about SoapCalc is that you can compare oils side by side.

That's exactly how I learned that lard was a good sub for shea butter when I ran out of shea while weighing my oils. It's a good tip. You don't need to plug in the whole recipe... just calculate 100% of the oil you need a sub for. That shows up on the right side of the column. Then tick down the list one oil at a time to see which oil would be a suitable sub. That shows up in the left column.

Compare Oils Side by Side

ETA: @CecileBC and @Georgeandstella After reading the post on that link you may want to continue reading the thread for more tips and tricks using SoapCalc. Other more advanced calcs are mentioned as well and may be useful to you as you progress on your soapy journey!
HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

Last edited:
TIP: What's really cool about SoapCalc is that you can compare oils side by side.

That's exactly how I learned that lard was a good sub for shea butter when I ran out of shea while weighing my oils. It's a good tip. You don't need to plug in the whole recipe... just calculate 100% of the oil you need a sub for. That shows up on the right side of the column. Then tick down the list one oil at a time to see which oil would be a suitable sub. That shows up in the left column.

Compare Oils Side by Side

ETA: @CecileBC and @Georgeandstella After reading the post on that link you may want to continue reading the thread for more tips and tricks using SoapCalc. Other more advanced calcs are mentioned as well and may be useful to you as you progress on your soapy journey!
HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:
Thanks again Zani !

Honestly forget all the numbers. Make a few small batches of soap from the many recommended recipes on this site and try them in 4, 6 and 8 weeks.

Your skin will tell you the best ones for your skin.

Back