Soap with out Olive Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^but Apricot Kernel, Almond Oil, Moringa Oil Avocado and the nut oils are very expensive to use in soap. Here Avocado Oil, which I do use in soap, is going up in price like OO. SAO is very nice in soap but to expensive to use very often. Of course I am looking at cost as a seller not for just my own use.

I use none to very little OO in soap, usually only when I purchase Costco brand to make my yearly Castile bars, I will then use up the leftover in my soaps and to cook with. Cooking with OO is also not my oil of choice.

I'm not convinced there is any real science in these 'fat' discussions.
Saponification doesn't care what fat you started with.

Buy what's cheap, Coconut & palm kernel ..... they make great soaps.
Or free, if you have access to dead animals.

If any ol' fat including roadkill works for you, then by all means use whatever you like.

There are others who do want specific proportions of the various fatty acids, so they use a blend of fats to get the fatty acid profile where they like it. Saponification may not care too much about what fats we use to get there, but it does care about the fatty acids from those fats.

As always with things soapy, YMMV.

^^^ this. Try making a shaving soap with whatever oil is cheapest and let me know how you get on! Very often the fatty acid spread is important for what people are looking for from their soap

I have, essentially palm kernel, coconut oil and stearic acid. 50/50 koh/naoh microwave hot process. Works well. Next year I'll try it with 20gm stearic and no castor (to make it harder).
74HKB3f.jpg

Cost $3 for 1kg 50/50 Coconut/palm Kernel. $3 for 0.5Kg stearic acid, $3 for 450ml castor, $2 for 1kg lye, $4 for 0.5Kg KOH. I bought the smallest amounts available. There's no shaving soap available in my country.

My after shave balm, 30gm Aloe gel + 30gm Dickersons witch hazel + 3 drops tea tree essential oil beaten together in a food mixer. That last's around 1 month using every day. No after shave balm on sale here either.

Last edited:
Exactly - so if you were in a country where avocado oil was by far the cheapest,

What country would that be?
As far as I know palm and coconut are the cheapest oils in every country.
Along with animal fats ...... DeeAnna's idea of using road kill is quite a good one.
I'll name my new company "Dead Dog Soap Works" to honour her thoughts.

What country would that be?
Well, I guess that in your country, the idea of "theoretical" hasn't caught on.

But if you want a living example: here in my country, lard is pretty much the cheapest oil. Coconut oil is, from the point of "base" oils (coconut, lard/palm, and olive) the most expensive. So if I want to make a salt bar, I can't just use the cheapest oil available, because it would be terrible.

Your advice to just use the cheapest oil available regardless is like that. Terrible.

"...DeeAnna's idea of using road kill is quite a good one. I'll name my new company "Dead Dog Soap Works" to honour her thoughts...."

@Pjclark1 -- I am indeed honored to have contributed to your plans for success. For centuries, soap has been made, at least in part, from fats that were otherwise unusable, including fats from dead animals, fats harvested from textile manufacturing, old grease from kitchens, marrow fat boiled out of animal bones, etc. Since history has already proven the idea has merit, I'm sure an ambitious modern person such as you can take the concept even further.

Latest posts

Back