Switching away from Pomace Olive Oil to Sunflower Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello friends!

I recently reloaded my warming tank with my base oil recipe containing 33% Pomace Olive Oil. The first two soap batches after the reload have been disasters. A 100% loss.
In both instances, I used what I knew was a problematic FO. So, I was prepared to move quickly. Both of them moved super fast, way beyond what I was expecting.

I know that the Olive oil industry has a problem with adulterated oils. But I thought that Pomace Olive oil would be safe from that nonsense.

I've been thinking about switching away from Olive Oil completely in my base, saving it for making Castille soap.

I am attaching two screencaps. The first is my old recipe with Pomace Olive Oil, and the second is my proposed change to Sunflower Oil, along with a couple of ratio tweaks. I would appreciate feedback or suggestions.

Screenshot_20240114_160822.pngScreenshot_20240114_160917.png

Well, pomace OO is a well-known accelerator, due to the unsaponifiables left in the oil from the extraction process. It's definitely not an oil I'd choose for making large batches of soap.

Regarding the recipes, both are too low in palmitic + stearic for my preferences. Since it sounds like you are selling, for the least expensive option, I'd eliminate the pomace OO, and use that 15% to bump the lard to 40% and the canola to 24%.

Latest posts

Back