soap to help dark patches on dark skin??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax1962

Reaction score
i'm sure in this multi cultural group there's someone who can help me! a lady from madagascar, who has the most beautiful, unlined skin, wants me to make her some soap that will get rid of the darker patches she has around the mouth area. do any of you dark skinned ladies know of anything that will help with this? to me, her skin is perfect and the darkness is practically unnoticeable but she hates it and says it itches when she's stressed. apparently it's caused by stomach problems. it gets so bad sometimes she rubs it with alcohol - there's got to be something better than that! i'm not sure a soap will help so i'm planning on making her some facial cleanser/cream also. i was thinking of a blend of helichrysum and roman chamomile with perhaps a little tea tree for its antiseptic properties and plenty of sweet almond or castor in the oils but i thought perhaps someone has a tried and tested mix that they wouldn't mind sharing?

I have no answer about the soap, but I think it will be better if she go to doctor especially if what you said related with stomache

That sounds like a medical issue, as you said comes about with stress and then itches. A doctor would be better to help with the problem, we can't give you medical advice on the forum.

oh it's not that she hasn't been to the doctor and i'm not asking for medical advice at all - she's tried all the meds and now wants to go the natural remedy route! usually you guys have had some sort of success with these sort of problems, i just wondered what advice you could give - sorry.

I don't think soap is the answer. Soap is rinsed off, so there would not be enough of any ingredient left on the skin.

I think you are on the right track; at this point I think less irritation would be a big step! Alcohol cannot possibly be good for itchy skin around the mouth. I would say a very mild, conditioning soap (I think I would skip the fragrance in this one), then a very gentle moisturizer. Chamomile is great, as would be calendula, but I would say stay away from tea tree. Again, it can be irritating and I would not want that on my face near my mouth. Also the smell would be unpleasant. Sweet almond oil is great, castor oil (on its own, not in soap) can be a bit drying. Evening primrose oil is great but expensive.

As for lightening skin, there are things that are used as bleaching agents, but it sounds to me like easing the problems should be the first step. None of this will treat or cure any problems she is having with her stomach or her skin, but it should help stop making it worse. Who knows? Maybe that alone may help the discoloration.

phew, thanks new12soap, i was feeling a bit upset that folk had taken the question the wrong way. i see what you mean about the tea tree. i've got loads of calendula petals picked locally so i might infuse them in oil. at the moment she's trying two unfragranced bars i made about 6 months ago, one with bay berry infused oil and french green clay and the other one just banana and a light swirl of charcoal. what would you think about added vitamin e in cp soap, or does it get eaten by the lye monster?

I don't know that vit e in soap will help at all, but it also probably wouldn't hurt anything to try it. I DO think that a drop or two of vit e oil in the lotion would be a good idea.

She needs to see her doctor and have some blood work done. Dark patches, itching tends to show a malfunction with the liver. If she is having abdominal pain, as a nurse she needs to be seen. If it is the liver she needs to be seen now. Milk thistle has been know to help the liver but taken internally under a homeopathic doctor.

Last edited:
On top of the soap and cream, I will think a light balm will be helpful too. Not trying to be against cream, just that thinking for cream, there is still a need for preservatives, and we won't know if the preservatives will be making it worse.. if going natural, why not go all natural for the lady.

U can use the infuse chamomile too. Or may rose infuse oil. Rose has whitening property too.. I agree with new12soap that teatree should be avoid.

Corners of her mouth? If so it could be a common fungal infection exacerbated by moisture and stress. Myconozal (sp?) and similar meds are used to treat it. If it's a cosmetic and not medical issue she would probably see great improvement from a chemical exfoliant (glycolic, salicylic acids, etc) followed by a retinol product. Love me some soap but dark patches require more penetration and time in the skin.

thanks hoegarden - i learn something new every day!! i never knew that rose had whitening properties. i will definitely make a balm, as you said, all natural would be better. we've got lots of wild roses growing along the vineyards where i live so a rose infused oil would be neat - all local ingredients too!

hi earthchild, yes, corners of her mouth. i'm not sure what meds she's on at the moment, as i said, she IS being treated - i'm not trying to cure her, just make her something that might help naturally. you're probably right as she said it gets worse when she's stressed. i'll print out your message and show it to her and she can check if she's tried any of them. thanks :D

Back