Soap or not soap, that is the question ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally have to wash my hair daily due to a skin condition but sometimes I can skip a day.

In the summe, a daily shower is a must and if its really hot, maybe a cool rinse at night.

I soap my whole body but do skip my legs sometimes as they are the driest parts of me.

I do use soap on the jewels but only on the outer bits. I did buy some of that fancy "down there" liquid wash and quite like it. I even use it on my face at times as its very gentle.

My face it oily and dry. Its weird and the dry skin gets trapped in the oil making a dull layer of crud so I have to do a good scrubbing a couple times a week. In between, I just rinse with hot water.

The overuse of antivirals, antibiotics, and general germaphobia has done more to compromise our immune systems, which in turn has created superbugs on par with some of the great plagues; most of which were caused by a lack of sanitation and soap. 85% of the bacteria on our skin is good bacteria and it, along with the natural oils protect our skin, which is one huge open doorway to the rest of our body, from the bad bacteria. Even the 15% bad bacteria on our skin protects us from other bad bacteria...kind of a like a guard cat; it may not like you, but you belong to it. :)

Yeah, the bottoms of our purses are on par with the kitchen sponge. The only place I don't set my purse down is a public bathroom.

A few years back they measured germs on counters and tables citing the biggest culprit was our purses or totes. I figured if I lived in Alaska without running water for 20 years...and for sure I did not sanitize my counters after our once a month trip into town for groceries (it was 125 miles each way)...I wasn't going to be scared by that study. I always figured we needed to build up our own immune system better to combat the germs naturally, not disinfect every time you moved! We rarely got sick until our kids went to school...then it was non-stop until summer time when we all got healthy again. A little soap and water goes a long way (except for my daughter's jewelry! LOL)
Yikes, 125 miles each way. You definitely had to have a list! I grew up in Philadelphia - walked to the store. Nowadays my local "Publix" (major supermarket in Florida) is less than 1 mile away. So, yes, we go frequently!

I have to find that article I read once, a long time ago, that recommends not washing em with anything other than plain water, and only if it's necessary. Something about ph, which is why there are such things as ph balanced feminine washes now.

I was horrified to say the least. I use whatever soap I'm using on the rest of my body.... So far no one has complained :p

I think it varies a lot how sensitive the vulva and vagina are. For some people, soap is too harsh for the area between the outer labia.

Some of you may remember a book from about 25 years ago called 'Mutant Message Down Under' - it came out about the same time as 'The Celestine Prophecy' which was more popular at the time. Anyways, this woman goes on walkabout with the Australian aborigines when she notices this god-awful smell on about the third day. Turns out it was her - her body detoxing from all the perfumes, deodorants, moisturisers and other fragranced items we use on our bodies everyday. It wasn't the aborigines who hadn't washed for several weeks who stunk - it was her.
Not saying I would go without, mind - but I do think we are becoming germ phobic so much these days and I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Latest posts

Back