soap mold liner?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballininthamix

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a wooden soap mold today and I'm curious about liners. What do you guys use to line your molds? Is there something permanent I can coat the inside of the mold with that won't stick to the soap? I was thinking along the lines of a spray on silicone or polyeurethane. Has anyone tried anything like that?

I'm thinking about building a new mold and coating the inside with silicone putty..... there's a good tutorial on it, but I don't remember if it is on here or another forum.

I think silicone is the only permanent mold liner that holds up with CP and can be done at home. That, and mylar, although I haven't tried it yet so I can't say how well it works.

I use wax paper. I found a method that works really well for me every time.
If your permanent liner doesn't work out, let me know & I will dig out the link to the video (only need to watch it once!). Someone on here shared it with me & I have been forever grateful........sooo easy!

Ok... dug out the link in case you want to give it a try!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm6tXKuZsI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm6tXKuZsI[/ame]

Lots and lots of discussions here on lining molds. I suggest you make a pot of coffee, settle in, and read read read. The search function may help, or just browse the forum.

I use heat-resistant mylar to line my collapsable wooden molds. They are easy to use, reusable/washable, last forever, and give the outside edges of my soap a smooth, shiney/glassy sheen. Mine are about 3 years old or so now and still going strong.

Before mylar, I used Crafter's "Funky" Foam, which gave me mixed results, and before the foam I used freezer paper. I liked freezer paper a lot as it gave me beautifully smooth edges, but after a while it became a chore for me to have to cut out a new liner every other batch or so. The mylar gives me the same smooth/glossy edges as freezer paper, but without having to cut out a new set all the time. They only need to be cut once.

IrishLass :)

whiskandbowl said:

I do something similar to this, using the thin flexible plastic cutting mats found in the kitchen section at walmart. I have to tape the corners each time, but it still much quicker than cutting freezer paper, and the sides and bottom of the soap come out much smoother.

Back