soap mold liner?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballininthamix

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a wooden soap mold today and I'm curious about liners. What do you guys use to line your molds? Is there something permanent I can coat the inside of the mold with that won't stick to the soap? I was thinking along the lines of a spray on silicone or polyeurethane. Has anyone tried anything like that?

I'm thinking about building a new mold and coating the inside with silicone putty..... there's a good tutorial on it, but I don't remember if it is on here or another forum.

I think silicone is the only permanent mold liner that holds up with CP and can be done at home. That, and mylar, although I haven't tried it yet so I can't say how well it works.

I use wax paper. I found a method that works really well for me every time.
If your permanent liner doesn't work out, let me know & I will dig out the link to the video (only need to watch it once!). Someone on here shared it with me & I have been forever grateful........sooo easy!

Ok... dug out the link in case you want to give it a try!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm6tXKuZsI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbm6tXKuZsI[/ame]

Lots and lots of discussions here on lining molds. I suggest you make a pot of coffee, settle in, and read read read. The search function may help, or just browse the forum.

I use heat-resistant mylar to line my collapsable wooden molds. They are easy to use, reusable/washable, last forever, and give the outside edges of my soap a smooth, shiney/glassy sheen. Mine are about 3 years old or so now and still going strong.

Before mylar, I used Crafter's "Funky" Foam, which gave me mixed results, and before the foam I used freezer paper. I liked freezer paper a lot as it gave me beautifully smooth edges, but after a while it became a chore for me to have to cut out a new liner every other batch or so. The mylar gives me the same smooth/glossy edges as freezer paper, but without having to cut out a new set all the time. They only need to be cut once.

IrishLass :)

whiskandbowl said:

I do something similar to this, using the thin flexible plastic cutting mats found in the kitchen section at walmart. I have to tape the corners each time, but it still much quicker than cutting freezer paper, and the sides and bottom of the soap come out much smoother.

Latest posts

Back