Soap Making Book

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy8

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a soap making book. I hear that "The Soapmaker's Companion" is a great one to get. Is this a pretty general consensus with most of you soap makers or do any of you have any other great suggestions for someone who's just beginning?

I find myself going back to "The Everything Soapmaking Book, by Alicia Grosso" every now and then...

Yes, this one plus here are a few more: "The Natural Soap Book" by Susan Miller Cavitch; "Smart Soapmaking" and "Milk Soapmaking" both by Anne L. Watson.

My favorite book is no longer in print. It is called "Soap Naturally" by Patrizia Garzena and Marina Tadiello. They are from Australia. Here is their website: http://www.soap-naturally.com/order.html . Apparently, they have a sequel of this book and can be order from this link depending on which country you live in: http://www.demetra.com.au/order.html. For USA forum soapers the book can be ordered here: http://www.diycosmetics.com/the-super-naturally-series-making-soap-naturally/

I happen to love books and am a sucker to purchase them - even if there is so much info here on the web.

Moody Glen - Soap Naturally was the first book I ever saw about soap making. My sister got it second hand and used it as her primary guide while she was learning. I learned from watching her and she showed me the book. I can't remember where I got it from but I do have a copy, along with The Soapmaker's Companion and Milk Soapmaking.

I really like all of the above books, one that is a little newer and very complete is The Complete Idiot's Guide to Natural Soap Making. I know the title will put some people off, but this book has so much information. It is also a very inexpensive paper back available on amazon. I think the book is great for information, I wasn't crazy about the recipes, but it goes into bar soap, liquid soap, shower gel, shampoo bars, and most of all basic technique. I wish that I could have read this book before I started making soap. It has a complete chapter on using soap calc, this alone is worth getting the book.

I have all of the books mentioned above which I read before doing cp for the first time and still refer to them occasionally. I also have Smart Soapmaking by Anne L. Watson which is an easy read with some sensible tips to read before you make your first batch. Just remember, if you want to use any of the recipes out of whatever book you decide to go with put it through soapcalc first. Misprints do happen plus you'll learn how to use it.

Well I have decided, after I get off work and before I head off to school, I am going to stop at Barnes & Noble and get "The Soapmaker's Companion" and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Natural Soap Making" as my first two books to start with. I feel with the two of these I should have a very good starting point. Not that the other mentioned books are not worthy by any means. Who knows I may get any of the other ones down the road. Thank you all for the input and suggestions. It is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: Barnes & Noble didn't have the Idiots book, so I snatched up the only copies of "The Soapmaker's Companion" and "The Everything Soapmaking Book 3rd Edition." Lots of great stuff in these two.

Last edited:
I find myself going back to "The Everything Soapmaking Book, by Alicia Grosso" every now and then...
I have this book and it is great... however every time I find a soap making book that I don't have I purchase it in-case there is something that I don't know yet. I think I have 6-7different books now :)

I check with the library first and if I like it I will buy one.

Well if its out of print, that's so worth it. I'm all over that and look at that shipping. How do you say no? :think::mrgreen:

Too late. I beat you to it. I've been researching soap making for a while now. Hopefully my supplies will be here Monday to finally make my first batch. I love the book "The Everything Soapmaking Book". I feel like I learned a lot and will be using it for awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Anne Marie of Brambleberry has just published a new soaping book and it has gotten great reviews from soapers. Give it a try. It's supposed to be visually appealing as well.

The Cavitch books are very informative but some aspects are rather dated by now. I would read them as references but they wouldn't be my first choice.

The Idiot's Guide is not bad. Alicia's Everything Soap Book is also pretty good, also in a new updated edition.

I found both "Natural Soap" and "The handmade soap book" by Melinda Coss very good. Both great for CP soap making. Natural soap also goes into some balms and creams.

Anne Marie of Brambleberry has just published a new soaping book and it has gotten great reviews from soapers. Give it a try. It's supposed to be visually appealing as well.

I finally got this book few days ago and I have to say that I love it. It has great recipes, different techniques and yes, really nice pictures. I think that it is a great book for all beginners and old soapers :razz:

I just don't like that the recipes are written with ounces. i think % would do better. But hey, that are details.

I really reccomend this book

I finally got this book few days ago and I have to say that I love it. It has great recipes, different techniques and yes, really nice pictures. I think that it is a great book for all beginners and old soapers :razz:

I just don't like that the recipes are written with ounces. i think % would do better. But hey, that are details.

I really reccomend this book

I got this book too and agree with you about %. Especially if you're just learning, she needs to steer you to a soap calculator instead of giving the recipe that you risk following. I think it's good for seeing the details of the techniques used though. Lots of pictures.

Why buy a book when you have the biggest and best one right here on this forum. You can find everything in all those book right here. All it takes it searching the forum and reading. The best thing you get personal experiances in what worked and what did not and can talk with the person who made the soap. Can not do that with a book.

Latest posts

Back