Soap Maker Personalities

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fascinating thread. I’m a massage therapist but don’t like to be touched outside my family unit. I have a very acute sense of smell and I hate synthetic fibres, it’s bloody hard to buy a sweatshirt or hoody without polyester! Maybe the creativity gene is due to how we view the world around us differently compared to others, though I don’t think I am particularly creative. The next question I would ask is whether you consider yourself sensitive emotionally? I cried buckets over the Forest Gump movie 🤦‍♀️

I happened to become a soapmaker a couple years before being diagnosed as Autistic (my dx was actually Aspergers, but I think that is being removed)!

My reason for starting soap was because I hated the way my skin felt with commercial items.... and I was SUPER scent picky and I loved the idea of picking my own. (Later I learned that I was a pretty hardcore “scent stimmer”!)

Issues with texture and skin feel also led me to make some other skin products. It made a lot of sense to me after being diagnosed!

I happened to become a soapmaker a couple years before being diagnosed as Autistic (my dx was actually Aspergers, but I think that is being removed)!

My reason for starting soap was because I hated the way my skin felt with commercial items.... and I was SUPER scent picky and I loved the idea of picking my own. (Later I learned that I was a pretty hardcore “scent stimmer”!)

Issues with texture and skin feel also led me to make some other skin products. It made a lot of sense to me after being diagnosed!
My son has Aspergers and he is also tactilely sensitive. I finally formulated a body butter he was comfortable using.

Reading this thread has made me develop a theory about those of us bitten with the soaping bug: I'm thinking we're drawn to soaping because of its quieting, meditative aspects. For me at least, it takes complete focus, letting everything else go away while I work. Soaping calms me.

I am very sensitive to input and stimuli of most any kind and get easily overloaded by too much. I completely fit the criteria of the personality described by psychologist, Dr. Elaine Aron, as a "Highly Sensitive Person."

A highly sensitive person (HSP) is a term for those who are thought to have an increased or deeper central nervous system sensitivity to physical, emotional, or social stimuli. Take the test; I bet many of us fit: Are You Highly Sensitive? – The Highly Sensitive Person

I must be the odd man out! I don't have any aversions to touch except maybe putting my hand into the 'unknown' and not knowing what to expect. lol I don't like labels but it's more of an aesthetic than anything else. And I sleep with earplugs in!

Reading this thread has made me develop a theory about those of us bitten with the soaping bug: I'm thinking we're drawn to soaping because of its quieting, meditative aspects. For me at least, it takes complete focus, letting everything else go away while I work. Soaping calms me.

I am very sensitive to input and stimuli of most any kind and get easily overloaded by too much. I completely fit the criteria of the personality described by psychologist, Dr. Elaine Aron, as a "Highly Sensitive Person."

A highly sensitive person (HSP) is a term for those who are thought to have an increased or deeper central nervous system sensitivity to physical, emotional, or social stimuli. Take the test; I bet many of us fit: Are You Highly Sensitive? – The Highly Sensitive Person

I scored 14 on that test and probably could have scored higher but some of the items weren't always true of me, just occasionally, depending on the circumstances.

@KimW Thank you for the lengthy definition of "hooker." Whew! Your whole post up there just about gave my introverted self an anxiety attack. Yikes-kers.

I do wonder how long I've had tinnitus. I started to notice it EVERY morning doing mindfulness exercises and then I wondered if it was always there or not. During my busy work day I hardly notice it. But my doctor made me get a hearing test -- ack, that's what old people do! -- and there is slight hearing loss of high pitches. But I'm not complaining and I know there are way worse cases out there.

@KimW Thank you for the lengthy definition of "hooker." Whew! Your whole post up there just about gave my introverted self an anxiety attack. Yikes-kers.

I do wonder how long I've had tinnitus. I started to notice it EVERY morning doing mindfulness exercises and then I wondered if it was always there or not. During my busy work day I hardly notice it. But my doctor made me get a hearing test -- ack, that's what old people do! -- and there is slight hearing loss of high pitches. But I'm not complaining and I know there are way worse cases out there.
Yep - With age I'm getting so that my hearing is affected by background noise that's close to me. If it's a fan that's just in the room, so far it's fine. But if that fan (etc) is within a foot of me I'm lip reading, my brother.

and I roll up towels to block the hallway light and noise from coming under the room door.
Lol! I work the front desk at a hotel and as soon as I read this I urgently felt the need to warn you to make sure to remove it before you check out... only because that is the first sign of a guest smoking in a room! Never would have thought about light blocking!

A benefit of hearing loss.... The annoying sounds are less likely to be heard. Of course, other sounds I'd like to be able to hear are also less likely to be heard, so it's not all a benefit.

In any case, creative personalities are know for heightened sensitivities. I guess that's a good thing, but how many of us have read about the tortured life some artists live as a result of some of these heightened sensitivities?

Speaking of which, @Zing, hearing aids can reduce/eliminate tinnitus. It was something I never expected, but after getting mine I looked it up. It's a thing! It's a treatment, in fact. It wasn't why I got them, but since then, after suggesting it to my BIL who has intense tinnitus has finally got a pair.

YES! Those stupid talking and rolling menus at fast food joints! Why? How does this work? And, yes, I'm always looking for the silly "off" switch at the talking gas pumps. It must be there somewhere! Why do I need to hear something playing everywhere I go? Muzac does NOT enhance my shopping experience. LOLOL

I’ve never come across these talking menus or gas pumps; are they for visually impaired or to just be high tech?

As for tactile aversiono, I have none, In fact, I love cotton and it’s squeakiness. Love chalk and microfiber. But won’t wear synthetic if at all possible (because I love cotton!) and synthetic are just too warm.

I’ve always loved the feel of wax and soap, and loved to scrape or chop it, not to the point of those soap cutting videos because it’s so wastefu.

I'm the opposite about touch - I touch everything. When I see something that draws my attention the first thing I do is touch it. I love the feel of my bare hands pulling weeds and digging in the dirt and I love the coolness and slickness of a live snake held in my hands (as long as someone else hands them to me since I'm afraid to pick them up). Maybe it's because I'm deaf in one ear or maybe it's because I don't have fingerprints so my sensitivity is low. Maybe I don't have fingerprints because I've touched too many things over my lifetime?! However, I am very sensitive to other people touching me and whatever you do, don't get near my feet or I'll lose my mind!

I’ve never come across these talking menus or gas pumps; are they for visually impaired or to just be high tech?
Yes, it's a just a high tech thing. What's being broadcast are advertisements or news. It makes me a little wacko.

I love microfiber. I use it to clean my glasses, wash my windows, dust...it’s the best thing since slice bread when it comes to cleaning up my soap making mess without making an additional mess. I like cotton, wool, silk, mohair, angora, etc. I used to sew, do cross stitch, embroider, paint embroidery...I crochet, loom and needle knit. I sometimes garden. I love making soap.

Despite all the above, I am not a very ‘creative’ person. I follow patterns. If I have to pick out more than two yarns, I ask for help because I’m bad at it. My garden placement is very organized and orderly. I don’t do ‘fancy’ soaps. Simple ITP or drop swirls. I have a couple of Taiwan Swirl Soaps I have received from other soap makers and they are works of art that I could never hope to achieve...and I’m okay with that. I’m happy making the soaps that I do.

I have an aversion to slime. It’s pretty bad. Have made more than a few trips to the bathroom while watching Mike Rowe on Dirty jobs. Also have mild Trypophobia (aversion, not fear)...it can make it tough to watch soap makers who like to ‘texture’ their soaps with a ‘holes’. I don’t do crowds very well. I was fine at the Garth Brooks concert, you’re into the show that you don’t notice all the other people until it’s time to leave. But crowded grocery stills, shopping at the mall, my last class reunion...it gets to be too much. I do fine at craft fairs though because the table creates a strong ‘do not cross’ border.

When I was very young my mother knew not to button the top button on any dress or blouse - it was known as the “choke button” - although that’s less a sensory issue than a feeling/fear of being confined.
Many things ring true to me in this thread, but especially this! Never going to button that top button! I also struggle with rollneck shirts, they seem to pair well with lots of clothes but I know the moment I put them on I will unconsciously keep touching them to pull them away from my neck like they're choking me...

I don't particularly hate microfiber (it has been a gamechanger to clean up soap messes and bowls, as I learnt on this forum from @TheGecko), but I do prefer to wear or sleep in natural fibers. I like rougher textures as linen sheets which have been a discovery for me a couple of years ago! I love how they feel. It was a surprise to me when my sister came to visit and she was bothered by the linen sheets I lovingly used to make her bed lol.
I also really like stoneware for its feel. I definitely have some strong likes and dislikes for my touching preferences, but there are some things I'm not too bothered about (cotton balls for example), so I wouldn't consider myself too touch sensitive maybe?
I do really love touching newly cured soaps though 😁

I scored a 24!

Latest posts

Back