Soap Maker Personalities

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shy1

Reaction score
I noticed a couple of things reading through old threads and thought I would share an observation and pose a question for the group.
First, the observation: It seems to me that most soap makers have a highly developed sense of touch/feel. As an example, in one thread I saw that many folks had an aversion to touching microfiber. I share this feeling of "ick". This causes me to wonder how common it really is and if there is perhaps a relationship between the types of personalities who are drawn to making soap and the way we perceive touch/feel.
Hence, here is my question: Do you believe that soap makers share common personality types when it comes to the sense of touch and how we perceive what feels good (or not)?

Interesting question! Are you referring to how we perceive the intensity of sensation, if that makes sense? In other words, perhaps many of us are more sensitive than the average person when it comes to what feels nice to our (individual) touch, or what smells good to us. Whereas others perhaps don't notice the scratchy cotton balls, itchy wool, drying soap, etc.

I have an aversion to cotton, not the material but like cotton balls or the kind they put in medicine bottles. Then there is styrofoam.. uggh, now I have the eebie jeebies.
I laugh in sympathy and because I appreciate somebody else being hyper sensitive [not crazy!]. I have a big problem with collar tags on shirts. I know that’s not uncommon but they make me nuts, I have to take them off before I wear the item. But cotton balls don’t bug me.

Interesting question! Are you referring to how we perceive the intensity of sensation, if that makes sense? In other words, perhaps many of us are more sensitive than the average person when it comes to what feels nice to our (individual) touch, or what smells good to us. Whereas others perhaps don't notice the scratchy cotton balls, itchy wool, drying soap, etc.
Yes, that's basically what I was driving at, if other soap makers are sensitive to touch or have some qualms about the way things feel to them.

I laugh in sympathy and because I appreciate somebody else being hyper sensitive [not crazy!]. I have a big problem with collar tags on shirts. I know that’s not uncommon but they make me nuts, I have to take them off before I wear the item. But cotton balls don’t bug me.
I'm so with you on the shirt tags!!

I have an aversion to cotton, not the material but like cotton balls or the kind they put in medicine bottles. Then there is styrofoam.. uggh, now I have the eebie jeebies.
I have the same issue with cotton and styrofoam and am feeling more sane by the minute that I am not the only one. To be honest, velvet and peach fuzz (like the kind on a peach skin) also give me that nails on a chalkboard feeling.

That is odd. I have always had an interest in Soapmaking although I've only started about a month ago. And I dislike touching microfiber and a few other things. Cotton balls, paper and wood some days, and chalk always makes me feel a little sick if I have to touch it.

I'd never stopped to think about it before but it could have something to do with sensory issues, along with the fact that many of us are creators of other things as well. I've been a crafter for years. Soapmaking is another craft that is on a list of many.

That said, I do have some sensory issues as well. Microfiber towels? Yup... ew! Tags? Can't stand them; some of them feel like razor blades to me. The way things feel is very important to me. I'm drawn to smooth, soft, sensual things.

hmmmm. I have sensitive skin, though I don't have a heightened sense of touch, but I do of hearing and smell. Microfibre towels bother me, but only if my hands are overly dry or chapped. Hubs is the one with tactile sensitivity, plus he can't stand tags. Took me a long while to figure out how to wash our clothes in the same load. What made them comfortable enough for him, gave me a rash. Dooooohhhh. Tags: When we were first married I awoke to what looked like him having a fight with the blanket, but he was obviously asleep. When he awoke he remembered what it was. Turned out I'd put the comforter on the bed so the tag was at the top by our heads. He tried to ignore it to avoid waking me but apparently at some point in his sleep his mind couldn't take it anymore and just started him thrashing about. We laugh about it now, but for the rest of my life I will always be aware of tags...on everything. Poor guy.

I think I've found my tribe, if we count KimW's hubby, lol. No tags for me on sheets, towels, bedspreads, shirts, etc. They all gots to go.

Low-level electronic buzzing, whining or humming drives me nuts. But unfortunately, I can't sleep with ear plugs in - the sensation of something in my ears disturbs me as much as whatever noise I'm trying to drown out. Also, I can barely sleep with a BandAid on a finger - just that much extra sensory input keeps my mind from shutting down.

Ditto for any form of artificial light. Our smoke alarms all have paper taped over their stupid LED lights, as does the air purifier. The lit-up clock face is covered when we turn in, and the husband knows to turn over the charger on his CPAP so the green light on it is facing down, not up. The blackout curtains in our former house were so heavy that he had to install super duty wall anchors to keep them from pulling the curtain rods out of the wall.

Then there are hotel rooms... ack!!! Since their curtains always have a huge gap letting in the parking lot lights, I always have binder clips with me to keep them completely closed. The microwave, clock, and fridge always get unplugged due to light and noise, and I roll up towels to block the hallway light and noise from coming under the room door.

On the flip side, one thing that does help me sleep is a pillow against my back. Something about that form of additional proprioception is soothing for me. Unfortunately, the hubs is like a furnace when he sleeps, so he's not allowed to be that pillow. 😆

I do feel like people who like to craft things by hand enjoy the sensory feel of making something. Whether or not that directly corresponds to a heightened sense of touch (or other senses) or not, most of us do highly value at least one of our senses. I'm highly visual: I got into soap making for the colors. I love creating the touch and smell components as well, and I care about the skin-care function of course, but I still really care about the visuals.

Any of my cotton loathing buddies notice that cotton has a squeak to it? I make my kids pull the cotton balls out of medicine bottles and If I get a gift with styrofoam in the box, I leave the room and they remove it from the box. So not only tactilly but auditory as well.
You're making me shudder. 😬

Hearing those sounds is as bad as touching things that bother me. Another one is emery boards. I've always left the room if someone is using emery boards.

My husband will put cotton fluff between his teeth and show me just to see my reaction. 😂

I gave a few tennis team members a ride to a match once. One of the ladies sitting in the back seat spent the whole ride - there and back - FILING HER NAILS WITH AN EMERY BOARD. Not only did the sound make me want to drive off a cliff, but the thought of her dead skin cells all over my back seat and floor, and wherever else they floated throughout my vehicle ... 🤮

Turned out I'd put the comforter on the bed so the tag was at the top by our heads.

:eek: you monster! 🤣

one thing that does help me sleep is a pillow against my back. Something about that form of additional proprioception is soothing for me.

Have you tried a weighted blanket? I literally just bought one yesterday and omg... Such a good feeling going to sleep!

Oh, I love this - definitely a tribal thing. When I was very young my mother knew not to button the top button on any dress or blouse - it was known as the “choke button” - although that’s less a sensory issue than a feeling/fear of being confined.
And, pillows... I am so picky about pillows... hotel pillows are all terrible, way too thick and stiff. I often bring my own.

Reading through here, I now feel doubly exotic since I'm actually loving the touch of microfibre. I think this has a lot to do with the moistness and microscopic roughness of skin. When I once had slight lye burns from playing too much with lye-heavy soap dough, the skin on my fingers felt like a file, and a microfibre cloth would stick to it like velcro … didn't enjoy that too much :( 🤣

But I'm also the one, who, back in school, never had issues with scratching fingernails over blackboard (which reliably drives everyone else in the classroom crazy). But squeaking knives on porcelain are a no-go 😬.

With respect to soap, I am just about to find out how much I actually care about “cleansing”/stripping, conditioning, and “creamy lather” properties of different soap recipes. As far as my skin appears to notice the difference between/ratio of stearic and palmitic acid.

ETA: The title of this thread made me expect something completely different.

Back