Soap Demonstration at a Winter Farm Show - tips needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

amd

My local Chamber of Commerce has asked me to do a soap demonstration at the annual Winter Farm Show. I used to do soap classes for up to 10 people, but I haven't done any classes in about a year. I'm not quite sure how to approach a demonstration type of setup rather than a hands-on teaching. I'm thinking somewhere between my YouTube videos and a class would be about right for a demonstration, but I'd like to get input from other soapmakers.

What would you expect to see for a soap demonstration? (Or what would you do?)
Any advice for presentation?

The show is in January, so I have time, lol.

I think doing CP is the way to go. Have all your oils ready to add to a clear bucket, lye made, explain the process as you go. Something like - here are the oils I'll be using and we add the lye to these and blend, add the scent and colour etc. Have your mould ready for pouring, then the tapping to get out air bubbles etc, then do any manipulating of the top and wallah - we have made soap.
Maybe you could make a soap a week before that you will be demonstrating and then cut in front of people on the day or have some already cut that have cured, that can be passed around to smell.

Depending on how much time you have to fill up...I agree with what Relle suggested. If you have a longish amount of time, mix colors. Then split off and color for an ITP or simple chopstick swirl. If you have more limited time, have your colors premixed. I think people being able to see what trace actually looks like would be helpful. I don't know if you want to have a handout, but if you do a simple recipe with grocery store available ingredients would be nice. A list of some of the soap suppliers you like to use and the basic equipment necessary would also be helpful. Or you could have your business card available for those that would like to contact you for more information about soap making. I would imagine that for the most part the people that would be attending your demonstration have some level of interest.

As Relle said. I did something similar, albeit on a smaller scale, for my friend's Hen day, prior to her wedding. She wanted a crafting day but left the arrangements to us. 4 of us presented their indidual crafts and everyone then had a chance to make something. I only gave a soap demonstration due to time constraints.

I was quite nervous so kept it really simple with one colour, a confetti layer at the bottom and a bit of mica in oil for the top, so it was easy to answer questions as I carried out the demonstration. As Relle suggested, I had containers ready with my oils, colour, lye and EO's, which made it easier to talk and not miss anything. I also chose a recipe which traced quickly so the stickblender wasn't on too long and they could see the magic happening! I was truly amazed how much people enjoyed it. Usually when you talk soap people's eyes glaze over. But seeing it made, brought it alive for them and they were fascinated. I chose a confetti soap as most of them are quite green and love recycling etc.

I then had a table of soaps etc for them to see the finished result, some with swirls etc. The demonstration was a great ice breaker and they couldn't get enough of smelling the soaps and deciding which scents they liked best! I would definitely bring plenty of soap and anything else you make, especially if it's an event you can sell at?

Despite the nerves it was great fun, especially as you don't have to go into the level of detail needed for a class.

I agree with the others on having everything ready to go. Then you can just go through the process of making the soap. I would do an ITP or maybe separate into two colors and do a swirl to show them how you can make practical and pretty soap. I would pick a slower trace recipe just to avoid possibly having a seize occur.

That sounds like a lot of fun. I've thought about doing Continuing Education classes at the local Community College. I was approached years ago but was not yet comfortable with doing something like that. Plus I don't always do well in larger settings with people I don't know.

Thanks for the feedback so far! Pretty much inline with what I was thinking as far as process. The demo is an hour long, so plenty of time. I was thinking of looking for a clear container to make the mixing process easier to see. I did a soap dough demo last year for a group, but they were more interested in playing with the dough than how it was made (I had pre-made 20 or so colors). For this group I won't know how many are coming, so I probably won't be doing soap dough :D I was thinking of doing beer soap or something unique. Two years ago they [the chamber] had one of the goat milk soapers do a demo, so I don't want to try to compete with her, but I do use locally grown tallow or lard so I'll probably use that as more of my connection point to "farm". I have time to think about it.

I was more concerned about how deep into the soapmaking rabbit hole should I go. My brain struggles sometimes to simplify the answer and I end up giving the long correct answer... and boring someone half to death in the process. Maybe I'll make my kids practice with me and they can be hecklers, lol.

I have done a few of these and have one coming up. I keep it very very basic

I start with the premise of soap being lye + water + oil = soap. In my case I make goat milk soap. I explain the basic equipment they need and emphasize how they don't need anything fancy to get started and all the things can be found at the local shops. I point out the type of drain cleaner lye that is suitable and mention those that aren't. I talk about different oils and what SAP is in the most basic terms and what the lye calculator is. I will sometimes do a demo of lye in water, vs lye in frozen goat milk and allow them to touch the outside of the bowl of lye water to get an appreciation of the heat generated.

I will usually have a pre-melted bucket of oils and lye-milk mixture to save time. I then combine and bring it to trace. For my demos I dont do fragrance or colour. Pour into the moulds.

I then have a brief chat about moving on to colours and fragrances.

I have a handout which explains the recipe that I made for them, covers all the points we mentioned, step by step to Soapee, and where to go for more information - fb groups, forums, websites, and places to get soapy supplies.

I always have a variety of moulds, oils, colours, FO/EO for them to look at, as well as cured bars.

I've done demos and classes in wet felting. It's amazing how slow things go when you're in front of a crowd rather than working alone. I allow about half my allotted time for the actual hands-on demo. If I can, I'll even practice the activity at home in a familiar setting to see if I can do it in only that amount of time. What with questions and side tracks and working in an unfamiliar space and all the distractions going on during the real demo, you'll still fill up the entire time, if your experience is anything like mine.

How about input from the audience point of view? Hehe.. I'm not experienced enough for demos, never did one for anything lol

Do you know what your set up is gonna be like? How many people? If they have the equipment for it, how bout a camera projecting your process onto a screen? Would help show people further back in the audience what you're doing.

Also, I'm not sure about other audiences, but when I sat in one of these demos, I was a lil disappointed the lady did not show even just the simplest of swirls, two color (one base, one other).... Because when you're just starting out, plain soap is easy enough to get if the rest of your process went well, but there's no "live" info on swirling other than YouTube lol but then I guess that depends a lot on how much time you'll be given. It'll also boost the wow factor haha

I also mixed the lye as part of the demonstration - it helps the safety talk when they see steam coming up off the mix, and if the group is small enough, feel the outside of the container (as Primrose does). Most people are thoroughly intrigued by the concept of an exothermic reaction.

..."The demo is an hour long, so plenty of time."...
You might find an hour will fly by, especially if you get a lot of questions along the way.

I've found announcing a dedicated question time for set points during the demonstration, with a final question/discussion time reserved for about 10 or so minutes at the end, allows people to just enjoy the demonstration. This allows you to fully focus on what you are doing (otherwise it is very easy to get sidetracked by interesting conversations/questions & answers - a 2 hours demonstration can be a little "chattier", but an hour will need to be a bit more structured).

People like handouts too - so if they have a page or two of notes and links, they feel like they have got value for money (it's a good way to advertise yourself too - you can include a business card and/or links to your website in the links section). Anything over about 4 pages of block text can overwhelm a person, so short and straightforward works best. If you include a recipe with a sample of your soap to take home, people get that whole "gift pack" feeling :)

I do pre-mix and melt my fatty ingredients ... having the ingredients on display works, but everyone usually only needs to see turn the hard fats and be told they are melted into the oils to get it (so that's a time saver). It does give you a key point (clear oils) to talk about.

I tend to take a dot-card with me for demonstrations (like for speeches) ... it helps me keep myself on track and not miss talking about any key points.
Pages of notes are of limited help while your demonstrating - it can be too time consuming wading through text to find where you are at, but they are good to have as a reference during question time.

I include a safety demonstration, but it depends on your audience how you approach that (mine includes a physical demonstration of how to wash soap batter of your skin, to show that your skin won't instantaneously fall off (some people actually think it works like that!) and then to demonstrate how to properly wash the batter off and what to look for (slippery skin) to tell if it's not been done properly. I don't necessarily recommend you do that for a formal audience, but incorporating some sort of memorable demonstration is good, to both combat the "wash with vinegar" nonsense that is all over the internet, and so they recall not to panic themselves when they eventually splash themselves ;).

If you can bring a "wing man" with you, it can help enormously - having someone hand you the equipment or pass around notes can make the demonstration appear very professional (again, it depends on how formal your presentation and audience is going to be). Alternatively, I tend to lay out the ingredients and tools in order in front of me. If you are able to work from right to left, it looks visually more sensible to the audience facing you, but this isn't critical. Having the ingredients and tools lined up like that does mean that you have each step literally laid out in front of you ... the audience can follow what you are doing.

I like the idea of beer soap, but the problem with that is that you are introducing a more advanced technique that your audience can't go away and reproduce (easily) as beginners. The other concern with beer soap is that there are more failure points than a simpler soap, and if anything is going to go wrong, it usually happens in a demonstration (when you are already have your attention spread across more things that usual). I do rather like your idea of using local produce (in your instance, farm fats) for your demonstration - that connection to local business is invaluable in the setting. Perhaps a good compromise would be to demonstrate the farm type soap, and have the beer soap for a giveaway and talk about what you can do with more advanced techniques (it also gives you an opportunity to spruik your beer soap and advertise your links to the local brewery as well. Having those multiple ties to local business is an excellent idea when talking to a chamber of commerce group :D).

Fundamentals - make sure you have power (safely - do a cord check if someone else has set it up for you), easy access to a sink (or have a bucket of water under the table for safety) and another bucket for dirty dishes (to safely get them out of sight and touch of your audience). Standard safety equipment, and a spare set in case you decide to engage one of the audience as your assistant :)

Pretties - at least one little swirl is impressive to watch and demonstrates how to separate batter and color it for swirling. An additive is another option - anything easy to spot in the finished soap is good. I would keep the fragrance simple and focus on the visual for a demonstration.

Having the same (or close to it) soap as a cutting demonstration always goes down well - it gives the complete story then.

If you have soap for sale, and it's allowed, bring some with you - almost invariably you will have purchase requests (in addition to your giveaways).

Thank you everyone for your tips - they were all extremely helpful! Demo this morning went very well. Fortunately I had planned well and had extra goggles and gloves on hand. We're at -30°F windchill this morning and most schools were either cancelled or had late start so I had only two people there for the demo, so I made the best of it and handed them both gloves and goggles and they got to help make soap! The chamber invited me back for next year as a make and take in the Saturday time slot (super hard to get Saturday time slots, so being asked to do Saturday is a good thing!). I was (kindof I guess) surprised to hear that in the 5 years they've had soap demos, this was the first time someone had done lye based soap. All previous demos were m&p. It was a good experience despite the low turnout, I forgot how much I enjoy teaching soap making! I may need to work more of that into my 2019 plans.

Congrats. Knew you’d do just fine. I’m considering some teaching. Not locked into it yet. Need to decide if I really have enough time with everything else. [emoji3]

Those two people were lucky! They got the chance to be hands on under your guidance, which is so much more helpful than just reading tips and advice, and a very good way to back up research.

If you had loads more people you would have just had an audience, not "students."

Happy for you :)

I also mixed the lye as part of the demonstration - it helps the safety talk when they see steam coming up off the mix, and if the group is small enough, feel the outside of the container (as Primrose does). Most people are thoroughly intrigued by the concept of an exothermic reaction.

..."The demo is an hour long, so plenty of time."...
You might find an hour will fly by, especially if you get a lot of questions along the way.

I've found announcing a dedicated question time for set points during the demonstration, with a final question/discussion time reserved for about 10 or so minutes at the end, allows people to just enjoy the demonstration. This allows you to fully focus on what you are doing (otherwise it is very easy to get sidetracked by interesting conversations/questions & answers - a 2 hours demonstration can be a little "chattier", but an hour will need to be a bit more structured).

People like handouts too - so if they have a page or two of notes and links, they feel like they have got value for money (it's a good way to advertise yourself too - you can include a business card and/or links to your website in the links section). Anything over about 4 pages of block text can overwhelm a person, so short and straightforward works best. If you include a recipe with a sample of your soap to take home, people get that whole "gift pack" feeling :)

I do pre-mix and melt my fatty ingredients ... having the ingredients on display works, but everyone usually only needs to see turn the hard fats and be told they are melted into the oils to get it (so that's a time saver). It does give you a key point (clear oils) to talk about.

I tend to take a dot-card with me for demonstrations (like for speeches) ... it helps me keep myself on track and not miss talking about any key points.
Pages of notes are of limited help while your demonstrating - it can be too time consuming wading through text to find where you are at, but they are good to have as a reference during question time.

I include a safety demonstration, but it depends on your audience how you approach that (mine includes a physical demonstration of how to wash soap batter of your skin, to show that your skin won't instantaneously fall off (some people actually think it works like that!) and then to demonstrate how to properly wash the batter off and what to look for (slippery skin) to tell if it's not been done properly. I don't necessarily recommend you do that for a formal audience, but incorporating some sort of memorable demonstration is good, to both combat the "wash with vinegar" nonsense that is all over the internet, and so they recall not to panic themselves when they eventually splash themselves ;).

If you can bring a "wing man" with you, it can help enormously - having someone hand you the equipment or pass around notes can make the demonstration appear very professional (again, it depends on how formal your presentation and audience is going to be). Alternatively, I tend to lay out the ingredients and tools in order in front of me. If you are able to work from right to left, it looks visually more sensible to the audience facing you, but this isn't critical. Having the ingredients and tools lined up like that does mean that you have each step literally laid out in front of you ... the audience can follow what you are doing.

I like the idea of beer soap, but the problem with that is that you are introducing a more advanced technique that your audience can't go away and reproduce (easily) as beginners. The other concern with beer soap is that there are more failure points than a simpler soap, and if anything is going to go wrong, it usually happens in a demonstration (when you are already have your attention spread across more things that usual). I do rather like your idea of using local produce (in your instance, farm fats) for your demonstration - that connection to local business is invaluable in the setting. Perhaps a good compromise would be to demonstrate the farm type soap, and have the beer soap for a giveaway and talk about what you can do with more advanced techniques (it also gives you an opportunity to spruik your beer soap and advertise your links to the local brewery as well. Having those multiple ties to local business is an excellent idea when talking to a chamber of commerce group :D).

Fundamentals - make sure you have power (safely - do a cord check if someone else has set it up for you), easy access to a sink (or have a bucket of water under the table for safety) and another bucket for dirty dishes (to safely get them out of sight and touch of your audience). Standard safety equipment, and a spare set in case you decide to engage one of the audience as your assistant :)

Pretties - at least one little swirl is impressive to watch and demonstrates how to separate batter and color it for swirling. An additive is another option - anything easy to spot in the finished soap is good. I would keep the fragrance simple and focus on the visual for a demonstration.

Having the same (or close to it) soap as a cutting demonstration always goes down well - it gives the complete story then.

If you have soap for sale, and it's allowed, bring some with you - almost invariably you will have purchase requests (in addition to your giveaways).
VERY helpful. Thank you!!! Y'all are always so great to share.

Latest posts

Back