Any tips for trimming loaf of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I unfortunately ran a chopstick around the edge of my soap mold after filling it — not sure why I did this (it was very late and I think I had seen someone do this in a video somewhere along the line!). The edge of my loaf is not even as a result. I would like to trim the loaf so the edge of each bar will be even. I do not own a soap cutting device — just knives and a straight 6” blade. Are there any hacks that would make it easier to achieve a nice, clean, straight cut on this long edge of the loaf? Or would it be better to cut the bars first and then individually trim each bar? I’m trying to learn something from each mistake I am making (and I’m making plenty of mistakes!). The soap is still too soft to cut so it will be a couple of days before I cut. This is goat milk soap, FYI. Thanks!
IMG_2164.jpeg

Hi, when you run your chopstick around the edge. Use the thinnest part. And keep it tight to the mold. You're actually scraping the sides of the mold. With the chopstick. Also, holding it just a bit below the surface. Not too deep.
I agree with others. Cut first. Then see how it looks. Also twist your soap bars off knife. Don't pull them off. Hope this helps, good luck.

When you are done pouring your batter, swirling, etc, give the mold a good whack or two, or more depending on how fluid your batter is, on a solid surface. This settles the batter and gets rid of any air bubbles. Just like you do with cake batter before baking. It would have also helped with that ridge along the side of the loaf.

Thanks, everyone! Really appreciate the support! @Ford, thanks for the twisting tip. Game changer! I’m just cutting this one bar tonight and will wait to do the others when it’s a little more firm. Maybe I will trim some and leave some quirky. These will be for home use and some gifts— asking friends to try it. Again, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2168.jpeg
    IMG_2168.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back