Soap curls in cp

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a soap collection of 3 each 2.5" Pringles can soaps. I want the sets to similar so they clearly go together but for each to have a different scent, complimentary colors and slightly different design technique. Since I'm doing the Pringles thing, the funnel swirl is a given. For a different bar I'm wondering about pouring a 1/4" slab and rolling it jelly-roll style when its still pliable then inserting it in the can and back-filling with a complimentary color. Will that sort of technique work in cp?

I'm making a soap collection of 3 each 2.5" Pringles can soaps. I want the sets to similar so they clearly go together but for each to have a different scent, complimentary colors and slightly different design technique. Since I'm doing the Pringles thing, the funnel swirl is a given. For a different bar I'm wondering about pouring a 1/4" slab and rolling it jelly-roll style when its still pliable then inserting it in the can and back-filling with a complimentary color. Will that sort of technique work in cp?

I'd say to give it a shot! I have no idea how to make a jelly roll with CP-I'd imagine, though, that you wouldn't want it to gel? I know with MP, you add a bit of glycerin to keep it pliable, but I'm not sure how that would work with CP.

I can't wait to see the answers to this! Any time I put rolls in HP soap, I make the rolls or curls themselves with MP.

Are you going to be able to roll the sheet tight enough with out crack/breakin it? The diameter of the pringles can is kinda narrow.
I've never tried so I dont know, it's just the first thing that came to mind. I hope it works for you because the design with the complimentary scents and colors sounds lovely!

Are you going to be able to roll the sheet tight enough with out crack/breakin it? The diameter of the pringles can is kinda narrow.
I've never tried so I dont know, it's just the first thing that came to mind. I hope it works for you because the design with the complimentary scents and colors sounds lovely!

LOL, Yeah, because a guy who's been making soap for a month needs to be a "trail blazer." Who well, it's just $$$

My thought is a loose curl of no more than 2 spirals. I'll let it semi set on freezer paper then roll it tight for a couple of hours then relax it a bit to the final shape. My biggest concern is getting the soap to fill in the spiral without leaving air pockets, but I believe pouring slowly and bumping it on the counter will help to settle the soap. It'll be interesting

I've tried rolling CP several times & have failed every time. It either cracks & breaks or it just doesn't roll.

How about dividing your pringles can in 1/2 by putting a piece of cardboard down the middle. You may need two people to do this so the cardboard doesn't move. But then pour the 2 different colors on each side of the cardboard. It works best to pour them at the same time, so they keep the cardboard in the middle. Then gently slide the cardboard out. Using a skewer or something similar, start in the center of the circle and move it in a circular pattern towards the outside of the can.

You might be able to use a small diameter PVC pipe or other round form (paper towel roll) to make the center. I tried using a paper towel roll inside a PVC pipe. Didn't work out that well but I was trying to pour by myself - this is where 4 hands would come in handy. In the end I had starburst in lieu of sunshine. I plan to make a round, tubular soap to insert into a larger tube one of these days:thumbup:

I've tried rolling CP several times & have failed every time. It either cracks & breaks or it just doesn't roll.

How about dividing your pringles can in 1/2 by putting a piece of cardboard down the middle. You may need two people to do this so the cardboard doesn't move. But then pour the 2 different colors on each side of the cardboard. It works best to pour them at the same time, so they keep the cardboard in the middle. Then gently slide the cardboard out. Using a skewer or something similar, start in the center of the circle and move it in a circular pattern towards the outside of the can.

That's a great idea!

Have you tried pulling the cardboard out in a spiral motion? I wonder if this would give you a helix type swirl.

Have you tried pulling the cardboard out in a spiral motion? I wonder if this would give you a helix type swirl.

Very interesting idea...I actually entertained the idea of finding a way to rotate the cylinder while pouring two different colors to achieve a true swirl, but after having my "meds adjusted" decided it was too much work and that a uniform outcome would hard to achieve.

I have a great desire for that upright mold.

1) Buy Pringles
2) Eat chips
3) Wash empty can
4) Cut off aluminum bottom with exacto (use top with plastic lid as bottom)
5) Line with freezer paper
6) Fill 'er up

Here's a great YouTube on a funnel pour into the Pringles can. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBwZUAxSPEY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBwZUAxSPEY[/ame]

This technique was my first "official" soap project. Very easy even for a rookie. Post pictures if you try it. Here's how mine turned out.

Soap Attempt 2.jpg

Those came out great! I want to try this. I use a lot of Crystal Light (and off brands) containers to make round and oval soaps.

Very interesting idea...I actually entertained the idea of finding a way to rotate the cylinder while pouring two different colors to achieve a true swirl, but after having my "meds adjusted" decided it was too much work and that a uniform outcome would hard to achieve.

That's just begging for an in the pot swirl!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jFE_dF6NMI[/ame]

That's just begging for an in the pot swirl!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jFE_dF6NMI

I thought about that too, but by the time you swirl ItP then pour it into the cylinder I'm thinking you end up with more "clouds" of color as opposed to a distinct swirl (a' la peppermint candy) or what I'm envisioning which is more of an opening scene of "Hawai'i Five-0" blue and white wave thing. If I could find an old record player that had adjustible speeds, I could tape the Pringles can to the center and pour with a color in each hand as it spins. It might look gosh awful, but it also might end up pretty cool when cut in cross-sections.

wave.jpg

Back