Soap calculator

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftymom0263

Reaction score
I've got 2 different recipes for basic soap and I put it in the calculator and nothing highlights. I'm trying to figure out how much castor oil to add. My first one calls for 25% coconut oil, 30% palm oil, 10% caster oil & 35% olive oil. My second one calls for 15% coconut oil, 16 % palm oil, 5% castor oil & 63% olive oil. My soap had very little sudsy soaping action. I want to tweak it so I can get some sudsy action.

Which calculator are you using? If by any chance you are using SoapCalc- after you type in your recipe and hit the 'calculate' button, you'll then need to click on the 'view or print recipe' button, which will then cause a second page to pop up with all the 'soap qualities' and ingredient amounts highlighted.

If you are using a different calculator, then I'm afraid I can't be of much help and I hope someone else chimes in soon, because SoapCalc is the only calculator I use for CP/HP soap.

IrishLass :)

Those recipes are for entirely different soaps. The first is more of a basic bath while the second is an olive oil bastile type soap. For the first I would lower the castor by 5% and up the olive oil by 5% instead. That will help with the bubbly. Make sure you allow it to cure for 4-6 weeks.

The second recipe is a high olive oil soap that should be very conditioning but low in bubbles. It will have nice creamy bubbles after a much longer cure. For that high amount of olive oil I would cure it for a minimum of 3-4 months. Best if cured for 6 months or longer.

castor can def help with bubbles, but too much of it can actually be counter productive. i like to have my castor at 7% max for solid soaps.

have you consider adding a bit of sugar? it can also help in the bubbles department. 1t-1T ppo.

crafty2.png

which part that you did not understand? the bubble level is 29 which is quite good in my opinion. 10% castor is too high for me, i would recommend lowering it to 4oz and upping the olive to 17oz. your bubble level will be down to 27, which is still high.

you can also play with additives, like honey or sugar to further increase bubbles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back