My Soap went very thick

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBA

Reaction score
First time this happened. Added my lye water at 105 degrees to cooled 5%castor 30% coconut oil 4% grape seed 15% Lard 15% shea Butter 6% steric acid 25% olive oil. Could it be the steric acid? It was very thick no way to tell it actually reached trace.

Yes, unless you omitted some other ingredient (like fragrance oil), it was most likely the stearic acid. It traces almost immediately when it comes in contact with the lye. For that reason, most folks use a hot process method when working with stearic acid.

I will note that older fats can cause quick trace, as well. As they oxidize, they have more free fatty acids (including stearic acid, usually) which will trace almost immediately.

"...It was very thick no way to tell it actually reached trace...."

By definition, the thickness you experienced with the soap batter IS trace. Just not the typical trace you're used to.

"Trace" is simply a visual sign that the soap batter is chemically emulsified enough so it won't separate if you stop stirring.

Pine tar, fatty acids, rosin, and some fragrances (both EOs and FOs) are known accelerants that cause fast trace.

Latest posts

Back