SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok this is it' 4th And Last try @ this OPW Design. My colors seem to set up at different times making the pour next to impossible. My 1st try was ( beginners luck ) 🤣🤪.
Update:
Yesterday I was so frustrated w/ OPW 3rd attempt knowing it was a complete fail, it overheated & begin to split' so I put it in the freezer for two hours' then after removing it I cut it! Yes Its Possible To Cut Your Soap The Same Day From Start To Finish. 🤪🤣🤣😛.

Update:
After reviewing my 2nd attempt I decided to enter it' Three try's is enough. As soon as I find the link I'll post.

Last edited:
This is why I am afraid to use fragrances, rather than EOs - I’m wary of acceleration! I know that most vendors say if something accelerates, but yesterday I way making something that required a fluid pour and added a fragrance that wasn’t SUPPOSED to accelerate - batter instantly turned gloppy and unpourable. 🙄

This is why I am afraid to use fragrances, rather than EOs - I’m wary of acceleration! I know that most vendors say if something accelerates, but yesterday I way making something that required a fluid pour and added a fragrance that wasn’t SUPPOSED to accelerate - batter instantly turned gloppy and unpourable. 🙄
I've noticed that some colors tend to accelerate batter also

I was inspired by the rock formations in the Valley of Fire State Park near Las Vegas, Nevada, as in the last photo.
Please get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE how your soap came out (in particular the sky with the cirrus clouds!) 😍
But still I think you're doing these rock formations a tiny bit of injustice when you try to reduce them to mere three colours. They are so unbelievably gorge-ous by themselves that it would warrant an own challenge to tackle their look. You have put high ambitions in your soap as a whole, so that the striped sandstone just couldn't play the lead role. (Not sure if OPW would be the right technique for this at all.)
I apologise when this might sound a bit hard. But on the other hand, you have wisely used that magical little word “inspired by” (not “attempting to duplicate”), that rightfully nullifies any nagging ;) The red is as red as your memories have retained it, not as some random camera caught some random lighting, displayed on some random screen.

I’ve had the same thing happen. I think an FO’s acceleration is recipe-dependent; if you use different oils or even percentages than other testers, your results will vary.

But I’ve also had EOs accelerate, esp florals (ylang!) and anything with eugenol (cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, etc.) even in tiny amounts. So usually I leave my challenge soaps unscented bc I don’t want to risk it.

Please get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE how your soap came out (in particular the sky with the cirrus clouds!) 😍
But still I think you're doing these rock formations a tiny bit of injustice when you try to reduce them to mere three colours. They are so unbelievably gorge-ous by themselves that it would warrant an own challenge to tackle their look. You have put high ambitions in your soap as a whole, so that the striped sandstone just couldn't play the lead role. (Not sure if OPW would be the right technique for this at all.)
I apologise when this might sound a bit hard. But on the other hand, you have wisely used that magical little word “inspired by” (not “attempting to duplicate”), that rightfully nullifies any nagging ;) The red is as red as your memories have retained it, not as some random camera caught some random lighting, displayed on some random screen.
Well funny you should say that as I didn’t like how red it looked in this photo, (brighter than IRL), but decided not to mess with it - and it would be fun to in fact try to replicate the beautiful sandstone colors. Here are my first three tries in chronological order L-R. I love the first one, but I poured into different locations in the pot (insert disqualifying buzzer HERE). Also, I used a red clay which I thought would be appropriate but it turned out to have big particles that I tried to strain out. Not sure why it looks pink, it is more sandstone-ee in the jar. The second one was a fail, poured too early, and forgot to take a jug photo (BUZZER). I had tried to be clever and use rhubarb for the red but it came out pinker than I had achieved other times when I have used it. The third I like quite a lot and thought I had followed the rules but I had a few layers of white and red, which was not how it was supposed to be done (BUZZER). If I were to make a fifth I would make a few different sandstone colors and would pour at 1:00, as I said. But life is full of imperfections! Well, my life anyway.

8DF4E22F-CD56-4832-A1BA-5A76BDC753FA.jpeg

Well funny you should say that as I didn’t like how red it looked in this photo, (brighter than IRL), but decided not to mess with it - and it would be fun to in fact try to replicate the beautiful sandstone colors. Here are my first three tries in chronological order L-R. I love the first one, but I poured into different locations in the pot (insert disqualifying buzzer HERE). Also, I used a red clay which I thought would be appropriate but it turned out to have big particles that I tried to strain out. Not sure why it looks pink, it is more sandstone-ee in the jar. The second one was a fail, poured too early, and forgot to take a jug photo (BUZZER). I had tried to be clever and use rhubarb for the red but it came out pinker than I had achieved other times when I have used it. The third I like quite a lot and thought I had followed the rules but I had a few layers of white and red, which was not how it was supposed to be done (BUZZER). If I were to make a fifth I would make a few different sandstone colors and would pour at 1:00, as I said. But life is full of imperfections! Well, my life anyway.

View attachment 57848

They are all nice but love #3! 😍

@Vicki C
😍😍
Thank you so much for sharing your “travel to Nevada”! So sorry that hitting the red hue did annoy you so much, didn't want to dig you too much. I know too well that hitting the “right” hue to one's ideas can be a beast, and then there is gel/cure that once again alters everything…
The “rock” of your third is closest to your inspirational photo (and fantastic on itself, regardless if it violates the verbatim rules or not), but your fourth OPW is, IMHO, the cleanest and most “picturesque” one (best sky!), and totally deserves being submitted!

@Vicki C
😍😍
Thank you so much for sharing your “travel to Nevada”! So sorry that hitting the red hue did annoy you so much, didn't want to dig you too much. I know too well that hitting the “right” hue to one's ideas can be a beast, and then there is gel/cure that once again alters everything…
The “rock” of your third is closest to your inspirational photo (and fantastic on itself, regardless if it violates the verbatim rules or not), but your fourth OPW is, IMHO, the cleanest and most “picturesque” one (best sky!), and totally deserves being submitted!
You’re kind, thank you. The red doesn’t bug me that much, just a little. 🙂 My husband was living in Vegas for a while, we enjoyed a lot of hiking and exploring, it’s just beautiful out there. Too hot in the summer, and I’m not one for the “strip“ but you can travel an hour in any direction and get to so much natural beauty. I loved making the soap and remembering those adventures. And it really does smell nice, too. ☺

I LOVE this. I have never made an ombré soap but I think I get the idea. I want to copy you!
It’s a really fun technique and OPW is a really good vehicle for it. I want to do all the colors now.

A few tips. I kept adding a little bit of TD to lighten it but next
time I want to add uncolored batter instead and see what the result is like.

Next I’m going to do yellow. It’s my favorite color.

Last edited:
Back