SMF May 2021 Challenge - One Pot Wonder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Peachy Clean Soap My post is too old so I cannot edit it. And anyway, I decided to leave it as it is. It’s not like a better photo will magically make my soap look better than it is. 😂🤪
You should verify with @amd and if she agrees to adding a new photo, you can re-submit in a new post at the end of the entry thread. The other option is to ask an admin to change old photo to new photo, but you have to be very specific and include a link to the post in which you want the new photo to replace the old photo. If you go this route, make sure to indicate which exact image you want replaced so you don't lose the other required image.

Just got done with the final clean-up and photo shoot of my entry soap. Just waiting for Picasa to upload the newest photos from the card. It looks like I haven't uploaded any photos since last fall! Then I'll post.

I made a second attempt with different colors (Hollywood Pink, Purple Vibrance, and TD), scented with BRV. This time, the pink really clumped up on me, and pretty much ended up as a big blob on top. I like it, but not enough to change entries, so here it is.

IMG_1421.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone know how I can submit a different photo for the challenge? Going to try to take a better photo before the deadline. I believe I’ve done it before but I don’t recall.
Same for me. I just posted a new reply into the challenge thread, with a hopefully explicit enough wording to make clear that this is my new submission.

That said, I can hardly imagine how you would want to improve your photo. It's beautiful as it is, and it's a matter of superficial visual taste, not of soap quality, if one likes or dislikes some vignetting.

Well funny you should say that as I didn’t like how red it looked in this photo, (brighter than IRL), but decided not to mess with it - and it would be fun to in fact try to replicate the beautiful sandstone colors. Here are my first three tries in chronological order L-R. I love the first one, but I poured into different locations in the pot (insert disqualifying buzzer HERE). Also, I used a red clay which I thought would be appropriate but it turned out to have big particles that I tried to strain out. Not sure why it looks pink, it is more sandstone-ee in the jar. The second one was a fail, poured too early, and forgot to take a jug photo (BUZZER). I had tried to be clever and use rhubarb for the red but it came out pinker than I had achieved other times when I have used it. The third I like quite a lot and thought I had followed the rules but I had a few layers of white and red, which was not how it was supposed to be done (BUZZER). If I were to make a fifth I would make a few different sandstone colors and would pour at 1:00, as I said. But life is full of imperfections! Well, my life anyway.

View attachment 57848
These turned out great, but your entry soaps are definitely so impressive, you really captured the feel and scenery from the inspiration source. Your efforts paid off for sure!

I made a second attempt with different colors (Hollywood Pink, Purple Vibrance, and TD), scented with BRV. This time, the pink really clumped up on me, and pretty much ended up as a big blob on top. I like it, but not enough to change entries, so here it is.

View attachment 57918
I was thinking they looked like Zebras! So pretty.

I was thinking they looked like Zebras! So pretty.
Can't unsee it now too! Maybe the lighting has tricked me into some Rorschach-like extroversion of my subconsciousness (just like it did with you as well!).

Thanks! Zebras sound so much more appealing than red cabbage,
Ohh, you haven't tried my fabulous red cabbage kimchi yet!

Can't unsee it now too! Maybe the lighting has tricked me into some Rorschach-like extroversion of my subconsciousness (just like it did with you as well!).

Ohh, you haven't tried my fabulous red cabbage kimchi yet!
I'd love to try your kimchi!

I do not, however, want a kimchi FO in my soap, thankyouverymuch.

FYI, the only soap I threw away in recent time, without the slightest bad conscience, was an attempt to carry over the beautiful purple colour of said kimchi into soap. Cabbage + lye = 🤮🤮🤮
Not only the colour quickly decayed from blue over olive into an unsightly pale beige, but the smell, though not overly intense, was repellent, literally obnoxious.

ETA: To be fair, I don't know for sure if it's the cabbage (or another of the vegetables) that smells so disgusting, or something that the bacteria have produced during fermentation, or both. But I somehow also have zero motivation to find this out.

Last edited:
FYI, the only soap I threw away in recent time, without the slightest bad conscience, was an attempt to carry over the beautiful purple colour of said kimchi into soap. Cabbage + lye = 🤮🤮🤮
Not only the colour quickly decayed from blue over olive into an unsightly pale beige, but the smell, though not overly intense, was repellent, literally obnoxious.
I'm gagging while reading this...

PSS - it does look like red cabbage for sure! Should I look for a Cooked Cabbage FO? 🤢😅
But then you'll probably never be able to replicate the same design.

I'm totally amazed at the completely different looks you can get with the OPW. They are all beautiful in their own unique way.

Well. I have to submit my 3rd attempt, but I am in no way satisfied with it. I finally got a 'thinner' trace but still to thick for the nice pretty fine swirls I see in all the other entries. Beautiful entries I might add!! Everyone did a fantabulous job :goodbye1:. And I can appreciate it so much more knowing the time and energy that is involved. I may try to improve upon myself. But then there's the anticipation for next month challenge :nonono: anyhow. I just wanted to say great job everyone!!! Looking forward to the next and to me not procrastinating 😁 :hippo:

Back