SMF March Challenge- Whipped Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just spent the day in hospital with DH - 1 inch gallstone blocking bile duct out tomorrow in an emergency operation. So I won't be whipping up the winner for this challenge, I am sorry to say! Good luck to everyone!

And good luck to you and DH. I will be thinking of you both tomorrow and hoping all goes very well in surgery.

And my challenge soap is in the mold. All I will say about it is that my piping skills need practice and that it isn't inspired by food. I'm happy with it, though I was a bit concerned about the scent. I used tallow from my local butcher and it smells very beefy. I hope my FO (Rain from Voyageur) will cover the smell of the beef in time.

I'm thinking I might just score the soap while it's soft to help with cutting.

I will just submit a very plain soap No 1, because batch No 2 just went nuts. Use quick tracing FOs, they said. It will be fun, they said :D. So I used Jasmine FO and the whole batch solidified on me (incl the portions in the piping bags - they all clogged). My whole house smells like jasmine, a smell of failure! Hehe. Managed to scoop into the mold but it is sooo ugly. I haven't had such a disaster in years (and all that dirty equipment just to get solid chunky mass...).

Last edited:
That's a bummer mintle but sounds exactly like what happened last time I tried to use a gardenia FO. I considered busting out the gardenia again for this challenge but you've sufficiently talked me out of it :lolno:

When does the official thread open for photos? I need to add a "finishing touch" to mine and can't seem to haul myself out of this chair to make a 2 oz batch of soap!

ETA: well, I hauled myself out of the chair. I should have just stayed there. The "finishing touch" was a disaster. Since I've already put my entry in, I'll tell you what happened. I made "fudge sauce" to drizzle over my entry. It looked like a bad case of the runs. REALLY bad case of the runs. Since I made a loaf of soap, it was no problem getting a clean bar and using that as my entry. But oh, gosh, the disaster that I caused!!

Last edited:
Well, I think attempt #1 was a bust. My recipe is 40% lard and 20% coconut. I am going to try again, with 60% coconut.

What temps are your lye water when you are adding it?

What temps are your lye water when you are adding it?

Cold. I mixed my lye and water yesterday and left it outside (up on a high shelf where neither creatures or children could get to it) in a closed container until I was ready to use it this morning. Our evening temps hover around freezing these days.

I'm so excited, I might get the chance to make my first batch for the challenge tomorrow. I'm completely stumped for ideas, so hoping inspiration hits while I sleep! (not literally!).

I had the opposite to you Dixiedragon! I cut my first attempt this morning after just 16 hours and it had started to crumble on the bottom. It wasn't what I intended but I had to hurry mixing the colours and putting it in the mould, as it started to set up so quickly. I'm assuming it was the fragrance oil or the mango butter? Last time I used this mango butter in a normal recipe, exactly the same happened! This fragrance oil was slow moving for a different recipe.

I hope I get time for another attempt but I'm working this weekend :cry:

Thanks DeeAnna. It's 8am tomorrow now. I can use all the luck I can get lately! :cool::cool:

Sorry to hijack the thread but DH survived the operation. His gallbladder was in a pretty bad way and he will be in hospital for 6 days but is getting better now. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Got to say that the entries so far look really fantastic. Love the green rock soap DeeAnna and the very pretty first pink one with layers and the little chooks and... [emoji2] Well done everyone!

Last edited:
Sorry to hijack the thread but DH survived the operation. His gallbladder was in a pretty bad way and he will be in hospital for 6 days but is getting better now. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

Got to say that the entries so far look really fantastic. Love the green rock soap DeeAnna and the very pretty first pink one with layers and the little chooks and... �� Well done everyone!

Thanks so much for letting us know. I'm so glad your husband survived the operation and is feeling better. It's a scary time when your family is so unwell. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back