SMF July Challenge - Clyde Slide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. Earlene - I haven't done this one yet, so something new to learn.
2. Misschief - I have the next week off... I'm IN!
3. IrishLass - I've got some spare time, so I'm IN, too! (I'm excited- this will be my first challenge!)
4. TeresaT - excellent! My first one has a major oil slick, but I'm excited to do a second. Without the oil slick, though!!
5. BattleGnome - hopefully I can find the time, I've got a busy month
6. LisaAnne, fun!
7. Cindy2428 - I'm going to be fortunate enough to meet Clyde at SoapCon-I have to try this!
8. dibbles - Clyde Slide - yipee!
9. BlackDog - fun! Sonya that green color is fantastic - do you mind if I ask what it is?
10.nikkisessence - looking forward to trying
11. Arimara - I'd love to give this a try, though it would be poor timing on my part.
12. TheDragonGirl - This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right
13. CmZaha - I am thinking I will have time so I am in. Hopefully
14. SunWolf - Love Clyde...neat guy!
16. Guspuppy - love the Clyde Slide!
17. jules92207 - I've been doing the clyde slide and didn't even know it! Can't wait!
18. Soapswirl - I've been meaning to try this technique for a while so this gives me a good excuse!
19. green soap - I heard I am getting another color, so it will be nice to try it out here. Never achieved an ITP swirl, this seems simpler.
20. KristaY - I'm excited to give this one a go!
21. Judiraz- Haven't done a Slide in awhile.

OK, my bad. I looked at the Vibrant Soap videos again and mine looks more like the Black Raspberry Vanilla version than the Green Tea and Pear version. I'm happy with it, so I won't be posting a photo of it. I'm going to make another one using different colors and a different type of pour into the pot, but at least I know I'm on the right track. This is really a cool technique. The first video of Clyde's I watched, he did a slight ITP swirl, then his funnel pour on top of that and poured it into the mold. In addition to the ITP and funnel pour, he did a drop swirl into the bowl, too. I think that was the first Green Tea and Pear soap he did. I'm not sure, I've watched so many of them...

Fab! Glad you've figured it out. I do like this technique a lot because it's very simple but gives such different results depending on how you pour into the pot and also into the mould.

I think I've seen that video too but for this challenge the soap shouldn't be swirled in the pot, just poured into the mould.

I haven't made my soap yet (still arguing with myself over color schemes, ugh!), but I keep watching the Pear/Green Tea video that Sonya posted, and although it's hard to see how he pours the batter into the bowl at most points because of how the camera is angled, there is one point where the sky opens up and it's pretty clear that he's pouring in such a way that the batter is actually penetrating down through the previously poured amount (drop swirl technique) instead of just laying on the surface (although it's definitely laying on the surface, too).....so that's how I'm going to try to approach things....at least for my first attempt anyway. lol

Also- I noticed that his soap was as a good med-to-thick trace when he poured into the mold (or at least what I consider to be a med-thick trace). In any case, the consistency was the same consistency at which I normally like to pour my soap into the mold, so I'm good there- i.e., I won't have to alter things too much out of the ordinary from what I'm used to doing- which is comforting since I've never done a Clyde Slide before. But I bring that up because I have a theory that the thickness at pour might be a contributing factor to achieving the feathery look (don't know for sure, though).

IrishLass :)

3. IrishLass - I've got some spare time, so I'm IN, too! (I'm excited- this will be my first challenge!)

4. TeresaT - excellent! My first one has a major oil slick, but I'm excited to do a second. Without the oil slick, though!!

6. LisaAnne, fun!

7. Cindy2428 - I'm going to be fortunate enough to meet Clyde at SoapCon-I have to try this!

9. BlackDog - fun! Sonya that green color is fantastic - do you mind if I ask what it is?

11. Arimara - I'd love to give this a try, though it would be poor timing on my part.

12. TheDragonGirl - This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right

17. jules92207 - I've been doing the clyde slide and didn't even know it! Can't wait!

18. Soapswirl - I've been meaning to try this technique for a while so this gives me a good excuse!

19. green soap - I heard I am getting another color, so it will be nice to try it out here. Never achieved an ITP swirl, this seems simpler.

22. Saponista - I am really bad at this, but I will give it another shot!

Also- I noticed that his soap was as a good med-to-thick trace when he poured into the mold (or at least what I consider to be a med-thick trace). In any case, the consistency was the same consistency at which I normally like to pour my soap into the mold, so I'm good there- i.e., I won't have to alter things too much out of the ordinary from what I'm used to doing- which is comforting since I've never done a Clyde Slide before. But I bring that up because I have a theory that the thickness at pour might be a contributing factor to achieving the feathery look (don't know for sure, though).

IrishLass :)

I agree, you definitely don't want the batter at thin trace for this technique - it would just muddy the colours. And Clyde definitely pours at more than medium trace.

I once poured one that was definitely too thick though, this was the result.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1467920238.657303.jpg
I think I would have gotten some lovely feathers had it been a bit thinner

Mine is out of the mold but still too soft too cut. So far, after cutting just one thin end piece, it's not looking too bad. Tomorrow will tell. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I may not have time to do a second try.

First attempt. I call it Clyde Slide with a Heart. It took several snaps before I was able to get the heart just right to show. I did not realize the TD was so poorly mixed.

Clyde%20Slide%20with%20a%20Heart%202016July04-001.jpg

I'm holding on to the second one, because at least it has some feathering.

No pics of the 3rd one yet (camera is recharging), but it didn't turn out. I have concluded that to do this pour along the length of the mold, it has to be in the same spot if you do more than one pass, as Clyde does in his videos. Going elsewhere (like up one side and down the other) didn't give the same result at all. Also no feathering and for some reason my colors turned out much more pastel than I had planned. Still they are pretty soaps. I'll post them when I get a shot.

ETA: Here is the pic. It doesn't even look like a Clyde Slide. My ribbon pour borax soap looked more like a Clyde Slide than this one does. But I still think they're pretty.

Dual%20Lye%20Castile%20Clyde%20Slide%20-%202016July08%20-%20001.jpg

Last edited:
I think the biggest problem with mine not getting the feathering is I poured too many times into the pot. It seems that the fewer times you actually pour into the pot, the better the feathering patterns you get. I alternated between three colors and poured each one at least five times. That made for a really busy swirl. Like I said, I really like the way it turned out, which is why I'm not posting it (yet), but the next one I do (today or tomorrow), I'm not going to do so many pours. I'll probably stick to that same number of colors and just pour each one twice. I'll use half the batter in each pour. I also poured mine at a thinner trace than what was showed. I was using a new FO and didn't want it to accelerate on me. I'm going to us another new FO (Tuscan Patchouli) for this pour, but I'll blend a little thicker and see how that works out for me. I want to pull up photos of what patchouli actually looks like and photos of Tuscany to get ideas for the color scheme.

OK, there really is a squirrel. My dogs just tore out of here to chase it!! The little effer had the audacity to hang off of the porch roof and look in here chattering. One of these days, his number's gonna be up! It has to be the same squirrel that jumps from the fence to a tree and back again chattering at the dogs. It's like he's daring them to catch him. He knows exactly how high Max can jump and climbs to the end of the branch just out of his reach. DIE YOU LITTLE FREAK OF NATURE!! Save the trees; kill the squirrels.

6. LisaAnne, fun!

23. Rusti - I'm old enough to play now, right? I think I can do this one!

6. LisaAnne, fun!

24. Niclycha. ..I should definitely be able to do this one.

Attempt #2 is sitting on the shelf in the curing room. I used 50 grams of Himalayan pink salt in the water before I added my master batched 50% lye solution. I blended to light trace and by the time I poured the batter into my pitchers with color, it had accelerated. I hand mixed the colors because I didn't want it to be pudding before I got my FO in there. Fortunately, the FO actually reversed the trace a bit and I was able to pour easily. Perhaps a bit too easily. They might have gotten a bit muddied. Oh, well. I'm hoping I'll be able to cut it tonight before I go to bed. I used one of wooden boxes that the silicone mold came in. So I guess it's really the mold and the silicone mold is actually the liner?

First attempt. I call it Clyde Slide with a Heart. It took several snaps before I was able to get the heart just right to show. I did not realize the TD was so poorly mixed.

Clyde%20Slide%20with%20a%20Heart%202016July04-001.jpg

Earlene, those look wonderful! What did you color your Heart batch with? I like the dappled look it has.

I checked my notes. I mixed 11 colors to use for my pointillism soap & saved some out for the Clyde Slide. Besides the colorants, the batter was quite dark, too. I added the ROE to the oils and I think that darkened it a bit, too. And egg yolks, because I wanted this to be a soap I would like to use. Anyway, I also mixed some of the below together to get the hues I was looking for.

Matte Yellow Oxide (CC), Sunflower Yellow (M&M), Bodacious Blue (M&M), Ultramarine Blue (BB), Indigo (BB), Clementine (M&M), Orange Coral (M&M), Walnut Hull Powder, Radical Red Neon (M&M), Basic Pink (RE), TD.

Some of the colors remain pure in the soap, while others are mixed to create a different hue. Obviously I didn't have a lot of the pinks left once I got to the Clyde Slide, as my pointillism inspiration painting has a lot of it.

Ugh, I couldn't do a thing until today. I'm pretty sure I failed but I was also testing a recipe I thought would be good for this challenge. Next time, I will mix the soap a few minutes longer to get closer to medium trace. I will try to actually post something tomorrow or whenever this soap sets.

My soap is ugly. Oh well, I'll do better next time.

20160712_162248.jpg

Last edited:
6. LisaAnne, fun!
24. Niclycha. ..I should definitely be able to do this one.

25. Rowan - Can't wait to give this a go.

Latest posts

Back