SMF July Challenge - Clyde Slide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my goodness! I have over 50 posts today and I have been a member for well over a month.... but the soap I had planned for this week doesn't involve a Clyde slide.... hmmm....

Surely you mean 'one' of the soaps doesn't involve ....

Oh my goodness! I have over 50 posts today and I have been a member for well over a month.... but the soap I had planned for this week doesn't involve a Clyde slide.... hmmm....

I'm only going to add to peer pressure: I bought some rose kaolin, purple brazilian clay and indigo for this challenge... and because I like muted colors as much as I like blue nail polish 365/ a year.

I'm only going to add to peer pressure: I bought some rose kaolin, purple brazilian clay and indigo for this challenge... and because I like muted colors as much as I like blue nail polish 365/ a year.

I'm thinking through my limited colors and the handful of fragrances I have on hand.... I love that purple Brazilian clay. Plus.... black? Red? Hmmm. Better check the lye supply!

1. Earlene - I haven't done this one yet, so something new to learn.

2. Misschief - I have the next week off... I'm IN!

3. IrishLass - I've got some spare time, so I'm IN, too! (I'm excited- this will be my first challenge!)

4. TeresaT - excellent! My first one has a major oil slick, but I'm excited to do a second. Without the oil slick, though!!

5. BattleGnome - hopefully I can find the time, I've got a busy month

6. LisaAnne, fun!

7. Cindy2428 - I'm going to be fortunate enough to meet Clyde at SoapCon-I have to try this!

8. dibbles - Clyde Slide - yipee!

9. BlackDog - fun! Sonya that green color is fantastic - do you mind if I ask what it is?

10.nikkisessence - looking forward to trying

11. Arimara - I'd love to give this a try, though it would be poor timing on my part.

12. TheDragonGirl - This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right

13. CmZaha - I am thinking I will have time so I am in. Hopefully

14. SunWolf - Love Clyde...neat guy!

16. Guspuppy - love the Clyde Slide!

17. jules92207 - I've been doing the clyde slide and didn't even know it! Can't wait!

18. Soapswirl - I've been meaning to try this technique for a while so this gives me a good excuse!

19. green soap - I heard I am getting another color, so it will be nice to try it out here. Never achieved an ITP swirl, this seems simpler.

20. KristaY - I'm excited to give this one a go!

21. Judiraz- Haven't done a Slide in awhile.

22. Saponista - I am really bad at this, but I will give it another shot!

23. Rusti - I'm old enough to play now, right? I think I can do this one!

24. Niclycha. ..I should definitely be able to do this one.

25. Rowan - Can't wait to give this a go.

26. Artemis - Lye: check. Oils: check. Distilled water: check. Colors: check. We are go for soap.

1. Earlene - I haven't done this one yet, so something new to learn.

2. Misschief - I have the next week off... I'm IN!

3. IrishLass - I've got some spare time, so I'm IN, too! (I'm excited- this will be my first challenge!)

4. TeresaT - excellent! My first one has a major oil slick, but I'm excited to do a second. Without the oil slick, though!!

5. BattleGnome - hopefully I can find the time, I've got a busy month

6. LisaAnne, fun!

7. Cindy2428 - I'm going to be fortunate enough to meet Clyde at SoapCon-I have to try this!

8. dibbles - Clyde Slide - yipee!

9. BlackDog - fun! Sonya that green color is fantastic - do you mind if I ask what it is?

10.nikkisessence - looking forward to trying

11. Arimara - I'd love to give this a try, though it would be poor timing on my part.

12. TheDragonGirl - This looks like fun, I hope I've understood how to do it right

13. CmZaha - I am thinking I will have time so I am in. Hopefully

14. SunWolf - Love Clyde...neat guy!

16. Guspuppy - love the Clyde Slide!

17. jules92207 - I've been doing the clyde slide and didn't even know it! Can't wait!

18. Soapswirl - I've been meaning to try this technique for a while so this gives me a good excuse!

19. green soap - I heard I am getting another color, so it will be nice to try it out here. Never achieved an ITP swirl, this seems simpler.

20. KristaY - I'm excited to give this one a go!

21. Judiraz- Haven't done a Slide in awhile.

22. Saponista - I am really bad at this, but I will give it another shot!

23. Rusti - I'm old enough to play now, right? I think I can do this one!

24. Niclycha. ..I should definitely be able to do this one.

25. Rowan - Can't wait to give this a go.

26. Artemis - Lye: check. Oils: check. Distilled water: check. Colors: check. We are go for soap.

27. Steve85569 - Looks like I might have time for an attempt before the blackberries hit. Train wreck in progress!!

user_offline.gif

I finally had time to make some soap, for the first time in months and it felt so good:). out of the whole batch I only had 2 bars with a "slide". Unfortunately most of my colours sank to the bottom, so I've got to rethink where I pour them in the pot. It was so good to soap though!

I finally had time to make some soap, for the first time in months and it felt so good:). out of the whole batch I only had 2 bars with a "slide". Unfortunately most of my colours sank to the bottom, so I've got to rethink where I pour them in the pot. It was so good to soap though!

But at least you got a slide so not all bad.

I found pouring down the side wall of my pot helps stop them sinking but if you wanted to pour in the middle you probably want slightly thicker trace or you need to pour closer to the surface so it has less of a drop into the soap already there.

Mine's made and looks ok. It may be my entry but, if I am correct, I may have time tomorrow to give it one more try. My husband's boss is in town (staying here) and they'll be driving out of town to check out a rooftop garden they may be rebuilding. They'll either try to talk me into coming along or I will be staying here and puttering about... making soap, bottling kombucha, going out for lunch... that kind of thing. Guess which I'd prefer? (Three guesses and the first two don't count.)

So, I made, unmolded and cut my soap. My collection of colors is limited-- the pallet for this batch is kind of somber. I'm fairly happy with the results, but I don't know how well it will photograph...

I finally got my first attempt done! First, the bad news: I didn't get any feathering (my batter got way too thick). Heavy sigh!

And now for the good news: Somehow, I miraculously ended up with a pretty butterfly swirl in 2 of my bars (my first butterfly ever!), and I wasn't even trying for one! I'm so happy!!! :D

Here's all my bars from the batch. I took 2 pictures - one of each side of the bars (the butterly is in the bottom row of the bottommost pic):

IMG_3620SMFclydeslidechallengefront640.JPG

IMG_3624SMFclyeslidechallengeback640.JPG

Back I go to the drawing board to give it another try........

IrishLass :)

Back