SMF January Challenge Entry Thread - Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unmolded attempt #2 last night - mess. So here is my entry.

I opted for my first and most planned soap even though it didn't come out as perfect as I planned. These are heart embeds I poured around the embeds with black and white mica/ac/td blends in squirt bottles. I wanted a more straight line of each color but my batter was too thin.

Scented with a blend of BB champagne, lychee red tea, and love spell.

1453236155334.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my entry. I had planned to do two angled layers and a straight swirl layer. I poured the white layer and let it set for an hour. Checked it and it was firm on the surface but not underneath as when I moved the mold to tilt the other angle, the entire layer moved on me. I said oh well and decided to continue on with just straight layers that did not come out straight at all. This is my standard co, oo, lard and castor recipe using split aloe vera juice and coconut milk. I colored with (surprise!) TD and ac. Fragrances with BB's Beau Brummel and WSP Cherry Almond 2:1 ratio. Its a very lovely sweet tobacco smell. My 8 year old daughter loves it. My first time using silicone fondant mats as a mold liner. I pushed one onto the top surface too so the bars are not as straight as I normally pour.

1453237662193.jpg

Well, this didn't come out as expected. My new bottle of OO was so green, which is the only reason I can think of that my soap didn't come out as crisp white as it has in the past with this recipe and FO. I used AC and TD as colorants. My FO was sweetpea from SC. The recipe was 8% castor, 18% CO, 20% lard, 28% OO, 8% MSB, 10% KB and 8% HO sunflower. Would have loved to try again with other OO, but alas the deadline is upon us. Everyones soap is so beautiful. So fun to see everyones spin on a black and white soap. Have wanted to try a peacock swirl in a loaf pan with black and white only. Not sure how it would look, but it's on my list to try next. Maybe later today or tomorrow. Can we enter another one? I think I saw you could but I wasn't sure how that worked. At any rate. lots of fun. Happy Soaping!

IMG_0201.JPG

Ok ok just got these cut - still sticky :p
This is a basic lardy soap, with only AC added for the black. The scent is rosemary & peppermint EO's. My thought was to dribble in the black and white with squirt bottles to make a sort of spotted transition from black to white instead of a gradient, but they went stripey instead. While it's not what I was aiming for, I like it and I'm glad I did this. Plus I make all the others look good :D

In the mold.jpg

4 soaps JS.JPG

5 soaps.jpg

Out of three tries, this is the one I like the best. The patterns on some of the bars remind me of ginko leaves.

The black is activated carbon, black oxide, and a drop of blue ultramarine. The white is the base soap color (lard, tallow, coconut oil, castor) with a small amount of titanium dioxide -- more of a pale ivory than a stark white. The scent is half Natures Garden Green Tea FO and half NG Sweetgrass.

To create the design, I poured a thin layer of white into a loaf mold and then poured alternating stripes of white and black when the soap was at emulsion to light trace. When the mold was full, I waited a bit and mixed the layers with a hanger swirl when the soap was at a light-to-medium trace. I dolloped the last bits of black down one long half of the top and the last bits of white on the other half, then did a chopstick swirl to decorate the top.

P1020230a 700.jpg

Poppy seeds

This is my entry, the idea was to have clean layers of white with tiny poppyseed speckles, then pure black and finally clean white layer with plethora of dots, like gigantic grown-up poppy seeds ;) on top.
The wtruth is I simply love to create these dots on soaps and I put them everywhere recently, hehe.

I did each layer separately, measuring adequate amounts of lye water and oils each time from my masterbatch.
The recipe is plain: lard, pomace olive oil - light in colour, coconut oil and some castor.

Unfortunately I was eyeballing the amount of "kaolin creme" mix (titanium dioxide, kaolin, water and oil combined) for each white layer and the colours vary - the one on the bottom is nice, almost blueish white and the top layer went slightly yellow.
The black layer is a mix of black brazillian clay and AC.
Scented with "Lemon Dream" FO from Behawe.com.

IMG_0186 (2).jpg

Here's my modified Helix (decided to make a hill pattern instead of letting the lines cross on the helix). Cut on the horizontal from a regular loaf mold.

It's a castille scented with Patch EO. White is colored with TD and some MO Snow White. Black is mostly Nurture Black Pearl with a smidgen of AC.

IMG_0263_zps8ecb0gte.jpg

My soap: I used Ginny's shampoo bar recipe with RB oil instead of soy bean oil and shea butter. In a week the OO will change to a whiter white. 2tsp AC per ppo and 1 tsp TD per ppo. It is a modified taiwan swirl soap cut on the horizontal. My first attempt at a swirl. Neroli and shea blossom FO.

I poured 5 vertical sections, alternated the B&W, 2/5 black, 3/5 white, then pulled the dividers out and did the taiwan swirl then went around and around the outside of the mold.

Sorry for the shocking photography. The bars are actually straight sided (because I used Lee Bussy's cardboard support for my silicone mold :)) but the second photo is taken on an angle.

B&W soap 1.jpg

B&W soap 2.jpg

B&W soap 3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back