SMF January 2017 Challenge: Gradient Layer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sonya, that should be ok. The colors can be very similar, they just need to be able to be distinguished. Is there an angle you can take a picture of the soap at where you can see the layers?

I think they seem more distinct at the side so will try that.

My fourth try looks pretty good to me as far as the evenness of the layers. But the last two layers look the same color-wise, at least to my eyes. I'll have to see if they actually have a clear enough demarcation in photograph. They were enough different wet, but dry, they are hard to tell apart.

I am planning on one more attempt tomorrow. After that I just won't have time. We leave to DC in a few days and I have to do other stuff before our departure.

I think I discovered the problem I am having seeing the distinct layers. This morning when I inspected my soaps in the dimly lit room, I saw all layers fairly easily. But when I took the same bar into the kitchen and stood next to the window, the 2 lightest colored layers look like one layer. So it's a lighting issue, maybe my eyes too, but definitely dependent on the lighting. So I'll see if a photo with dimmer lighting will show what my eyes see in the dimly lit room, rather than a photo taken with brighter light. It's worth a shot. ;-)

I found the same thing with mine. I am hoping we can take a less artsy shot to show the layering but then maybe a better shot for color purposes that may not show all the layers as well but it will still qualify. What say you, oh challenge master Galaxy??

I took a bunch more pics today with better results than last week, but it's a challenging shoot for sure. I'm amazed how much better my eye can detect the gradient than any of my cameras, regardless of lighting. I'm resigned that I will lose 2-4 layers out of the 11 that I poured. My best luck so far is in a light box, at least for getting the color right if not also the gradations. But it has shortcomings too.

My favorites from last weekend were shot outside with a snowy background. I loved the effect but just couldn't get the white balance right, which really affected the color. I might post them elsewhere afterward because I like them even though the colors aren't true.

Love this technique and have made a couple outside the rules just to explore. Funny, I was never drawn to gradient soaps before. Maybe that's because the pictures suck, haha!

My husband is a pretty competent photographer and directed me through my pics having the same issue. I ended up taking them in an almost dark room using the flash with a bit of toilet paper over it to reduce glare. I can't show you the results yet obviously, but it worked! I'll attach a pic hubby took to show he knows what he's doing tho. And the model is pretty great too :)

1484443430998.jpg

My husband is a pretty competent photographer and directed me through my pics having the same issue. I ended up taking them in an almost dark room using the flash with a bit of toilet paper over it to reduce glare. I can't show you the results yet obviously, but it worked! I'll attach a pic hubby took to show he knows what he's doing tho. And the model is pretty great too :)

Amazing soap! Where did you get the mold? Your pour technique made it so life-like. (I broke out in "awwwwws" when I saw him.)

1. BattleGnome - super excited for a new challenge.
2. Mx6inpenn - I'm game
3. dibbles - I can't believe I've never done this
4. MissChief - Twist my rubber arm..I'll MAKE room, dammit!
5. Sonya-m - haven't soaped or been on here for ages so it's about time!!
6. Crispysoap - bring it on
7. PenelopeJane - this should be fun
8. Steve85569 - I just happen to have an FO that accelerates...
9. earlene - another new technique for me to learn! Thank you
10. HowieRoll - first challenge ever; new technique. What could go wrong?
11. Redhead1226 - Im positive Im going to say the "F" word during this. A lot!
12. Judiraz I haven't tried a gradient in about a year. Should be fun
13. BeesKnees I have only been soaping a little over 2 months so it may be a mess but I'm game!
14. mommycarlson - I'll give it a whirl!
15. Artemis - I guess I can TRY to keep the hanger out of the batter
16. CaraBou - My future is so bright I'm soaping in shades
17. Newbie-trying to think of something original or unexpected and coming up short.
18. Catastrophe - Yay, I finally have enough posts!
19. doriettefarm - I'm iced in today so might as well give this a shot
20. mintle - it's been a while, I will be happy to soap again!
21. Lisaanne
22. TeresaT - I wasn't going to, then my new fancy loaf mold arrived!

Last edited:
I found the same thing with mine. I am hoping we can take a less artsy shot to show the layering but then maybe a better shot for color purposes that may not show all the layers as well but it will still qualify. What say you, oh challenge master Galaxy??

Yes, this will be perfectly acceptable!
You will need at least one picture with your soap showing your layers but you may include a few others to showcase your soap prettiness!

I have noticed with my gradient soap, indirect light coming in from an overcast day gave me the best results. I think everyone is just going to try something different!

I took a bunch more pics today with better results than last week, but it's a challenging shoot for sure. I'm amazed how much better my eye can detect the gradient than any of my cameras, regardless of lighting. I'm resigned that I will lose 2-4 layers out of the 11 that I poured. My best luck so far is in a light box, at least for getting the color right if not also the gradations. But it has shortcomings too.

My favorites from last weekend were shot outside with a snowy background. I loved the effect but just couldn't get the white balance right, which really affected the color. I might post them elsewhere afterward because I like them even though the colors aren't true.

Love this technique and have made a couple outside the rules just to explore. Funny, I was never drawn to gradient soaps before. Maybe that's because the pictures suck, haha!

11!!!! Impressive Cara and I can't wait to see :mrgreen:

Someday I want to be able to do something like this one: "Jan’s Harlequin Soap is the perfect example of Jan’s expert use of color, layers and mica lines." :

Sunlit_Harlequin.jpg

Of course, it wouldn't qualify for this challenge, but ooo-weee, do I love the look! This picture has been open on my computer for over a week as inspiration. I found it when looking for more information about how to do gradient layers with some kind of twist. But try as I might, I didn't have a lot of success trying a 'twist'. The best soap I've done so far is just plain straight layers. But, hey, I can dream, can't I?

Where I found it: https://www.soapqueen.com/business/sitting-jan-sunlit-soap/

That's gorgeous earlene!!!! I just made my first attempt, I think my colors may actually work, but I'm pretty sure my 2nd layer broke through into my 1st :cry:

My hat is off to you folks that can pull this off. While I am not officially entered in the challenge I figured I could play the home game and give this a whirl after all I just got a sample pack of micas and I need to get this color thing figured out. I see folks speaking of soap-on-a-stick.. I had a puddle in a pan:think: I ended up with something resembling toxic mud that I hope will eventually turn into soap. Looking forward to seeing the entries posted as the challenges never cease to amaze me.
Good luck to you ohh wise ones that have mastered the thick trace!

My hat is off to you folks that can pull this off. While I am not officially entered in the challenge I figured I could play the home game and give this a whirl after all I just got a sample pack of micas and I need to get this color thing figured out. I see folks speaking of soap-on-a-stick.. I had a puddle in a pan:think: I ended up with something resembling toxic mud that I hope will eventually turn into soap. Looking forward to seeing the entries posted as the challenges never cease to amaze me.
Good luck to you ohh wise ones that have mastered the thick trace!

I love your 'puddle in a pan' and 'toxic mud' phraseology.

Well, my layers look a bit like I was pouring soap with one hand while drinking wine from the other, but I can see my colors. Not sure it exactly qualifies as a gradient, I went from pink to purple. When will the thread be started to put entries in?

Latest posts

Back