SMF January 2017 Challenge: Gradient Layer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artemis, I'm having trouble photographing too. Some of the layers are hard to distinguish, and also the hue is wrong (way too blue).

If I edit a picture for a challenge, I try to only correct for color issues. It's so hard to get a picture that truly matches the colors unless I'm out in the daylight. Maybe I'll bundle up and give that a try.

I took a couple of pics this morning in the "workshop" (laundry room) and was surprised that I can see the line between the two lightest areas! I wonder if that base color is lightening up as it starts to cure...

I have a question about photographing for the challenge. How many bars need to be in the photo? Just one angle of the soap? This is my first challenge so I want to do it right :) Thank you!

Nice tutorial. I can't try my hand at it though. Life and new employment happened and thus, I don't have a table to work on. I also need to buy a car. XD

I have a question about photographing for the challenge. How many bars need to be in the photo? Just one angle of the soap? This is my first challenge so I want to do it right :) Thank you!

It changes from challenge to challenge depending on what the technique/soap is. This month will only be 1 picture. There are typically no angles or specific lighting for pictures specified.

Nice tutorial. I can't try my hand at it though. Life and new employment happened and thus, I don't have a table to work on. I also need to buy a car. XD

Aww! Sorry to hear you can't participate in this one but glad to hear that you have new employment! (At least I hope that's a good thing)

It changes from challenge to challenge depending on what the technique/soap is. This month will only be 1 picture. There are typically no angles or specific lighting for pictures specified.

Thank you Galaxy! Do all of the bars have to be in the photo or just one? several?

I may have gone overboard this time. With the last two attempts I had so much trouble getting the different shades of the same color to actually appear different once the soap was cut, that this time I ended up doing several more layers. But they are pretty darned thin layers. Well, it's in the oven now. I want those colors to pop even if they are going to be rather thin layers. This was attempt # 3 and I used micas this time. Hope it turns out as planned.

2. Mx6inpenn - I'm game
3. dibbles - I can't believe I've never done this
4. MissChief - Twist my rubber arm..I'll MAKE room, dammit!
5. Sonya-m - haven't soaped or been on here for ages so it's about time!!
6. Crispysoap - bring it on
7. PenelopeJane - this should be fun
8. Steve85569 - I just happen to have an FO that accelerates...
9. earlene - another new technique for me to learn! Thank you
10. HowieRoll - first challenge ever; new technique. What could go wrong?
11. Redhead1226 - Im positive Im going to say the "F" word during this. A lot!
12. Judiraz I haven't tried a gradient in about a year. Should be fun
13. BeesKnees I have only been soaping a little over 2 months so it may be a mess but I'm game!
14. mommycarlson - I'll give it a whirl!
15. Artemis - I guess I can TRY to keep the hanger out of the batter
16. CaraBou - My future is so bright I'm soaping in shades
17. Newbie-trying to think of something original or unexpected and coming up short.
18. Catastrophe - Yay, I finally have enough posts!
19. doriettefarm - I'm iced in today so might as well give this a shot
20. mintle - it's been a while, I will be happy to soap again!
21. Lisaanne
[/QUOTE]

I made a second attempt, just to see if I can get my lines a little more straight. I think some batter sank down into a lower layer, though... We'll see what I find when I cut it!

Back to the drawing board. I like the look, but something went wrong and it's not holding together so well. Maybe too much TD. Maybe I mismeasured the masterbatch lye solution. Maybe too much mica. Maybe a combination of all three. I've not had this happen before. Will let them sit and hope they are usable soap, but they won't be submitted in this challenge. I'll do another batch tomorrow.

My first attempt was okay but I think I'll try again. I made it harder on myself by doing it HP, although I did use SL for the first time. That was the only reason I was able to get the layers like I did. Hopefully this weekend I'll have a second go at it.

I made a second attempt, just to see if I can get my lines a little more straight. I think some batter sank down into a lower layer, though... We'll see what I find when I cut it!

This is my first time ever doing a gradient and Im wondering if you bang it down a bit to get the air bubbles out does it move the lines much? Im going to do mine tomorrow morning and I would think it would but Im not sure. Maybe more gently? Advise please. :)

If the batter sank down, it may have been poured too quickly which causes it to dip into a lower layer. Banging the mold down releases air bubbles and usually doesn't cause the layers to dip into each other. However, I have had one or too instances where the batter sort of jumps up a bit as I bounce. That does cause some issues sometimes. You don't have to bang the living daylights out of it!

Earlene, I hope your soap turns out ok! Maybe you can post the soap in a separate thread and we can figure out what went wrong?

Artemis, sounds like you're having quite a few attempts there! I hope you find one you like enough to enter. :)

I'm excited to see what everyone puts out since I see so many people attempting this challenge!

Edit: BK, I did a gradient HP soap once! I even added a mica line but I swirled it a bit so it wouldn't qualify for this challenge. I'll post the picture of it below.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1484187620.436629.jpg

If the batter sank down, it may have been poured too quickly...

Artemis, sounds like you're having quite a few attempts there! I hope you find one you like enough to enter. :)

My sinking batter was just a couple of errant drops that escaped as I poured. In one of the cut bars, you can even see the drop itself.

I actually only have two attempts. The second time I did get straighter lines. Just how straight do they need to be?

My sinking batter was just a couple of errant drops that escaped as I poured. In one of the cut bars, you can even see the drop itself.

I actually only have two attempts. The second time I did get straighter lines. Just how straight do they need to be?

They don't need to be super straight! I just don't want purposeful super jagged lines and swirls.

Don't think my attempt is gonna be worthy of entering. You can see it's a gradient but the colours are so similar it looks more like I've used a colour that bleeds rather than actual layers of different colours. Which is annoying cos if I was trying to get a smooth transition of dark to light without showing the layers I just know I wouldn't be able to recreate it!!

Sonya, that should be ok. The colors can be very similar, they just need to be able to be distinguished. Is there an angle you can take a picture of the soap at where you can see the layers?

Back