SMF August Challenge- Pokemon/Hanger Circling Taiwan

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My poor little Oddish is, well, oddish indeed. I CPOP'd it, but forgot it a little too long and it overheated. And I used a discoloring FO which I'm afraid is going to discolor more than I remembered. So I took a picture before the whole thing is affected. I will post it if I have time for another try. If not, it will have to be my entry. I have some other soap I need/want to make before I go out of town to spend a few days with my daughter and son in law.

1. carlyjones - exciting!!
2. dibbles - saying it first - I'll give it a GO
3. TeresaT - Pokemon. Oh, yay!
4. BattleGnome - I call shiney squirtle!
5. Arimara - Eggs are cute! Wait, that's not how it goes...
6. Rusti - Maybe I'll have time to do this one at some point this month. No idea what Pokemon to go for though!
7. Dixiedragon - me too!
8. SunWolf - Growlithe for me!!
9. Dillsandwitch - Gotta soap em all!
10. Guspuppy - Bellsprout, bc it is also in plants vs. zombies! hahaha
11. earlene - granddaughter has been playing Pokeman Go frequently this trip, so she was super excited about this challenge
12. TheDragonGirl- Lets see if I have time for this, I want to do Dragonair[/QUOTE]
13. Crispysoap - lucky #13 it is

Well, no sooner than I had chosen Tentacruel, my plans changed (in a good way), so I will be sitting this one out. My 18 year old nephew and his gal pal have free time up until August 22 before college classes start and they expressed their desire to fill part of it by spending time making soap with me. :D My nephew has made soap with me once before for a school chemistry project and is quite the adoring fan of my soap. He's mentioned several times how it's the only soap he can use without his skin coming down with problems. His gal pal has never made soap before., so hopefully, another fan will soon be born!

IrishLass :)

6. Rusti - Maybe I'll have time to do this one at some point this month. No idea what Pokemon to go for though!
7. Dixiedragon - me too!
11. earlene - granddaughter has been playing Pokeman Go frequently this trip, so she was super excited about this challenge
12. TheDragonGirl- Lets see if I have time for this, I want to do Dragonair
14. Sonya-m - now my dog is on the mend and I'm not going to Spain now I have two weeks to do this instead

Well, no sooner than I had chosen Tentacruel, my plans changed (in a good way), so I will be sitting this one out. My 18 year old nephew and his gal pal have free time up until August 22 before college classes start and they expressed their desire to fill part of it by spending time making soap with me. :D My nephew has made soap with me once before for a school chemistry project and is quite the adoring fan of my soap. He's mentioned several times how it's the only soap he can use without his skin coming down with problems. His gal pal has never made soap before., so hopefully, another fan will soon be born!

IrishLass :)

Awesome news. "Corrupt the youth" good in the ways of the soap masters, Irish. Only then will they not depart from their ways. Praise the lard!

Ok, weirdness aside, I may have to reconsider this. I have to see when I may have resources and time for this challenge, especially since school starts in 4 weeks. I also looked up a little more info about indigo and have decided it may be a no-go since it apparently could be too variable.

Pokemon are little virtual creatures that are a part of a video game that came out in the mid-late 90s. The game was available for the "game boy" system. The games were extremely popular and they've made many more based off those original ones.

The original games had 151 unique "pocket monsters" (Pokemon) that were catchable in the game through various mechanisms (battling and special encounters). Each Pokemon has a unique look and comes with a type and move set for battling. Each new "generation" of Pokemon adds more to the original 151. If I'm not mistaken, there are about 600 now.

Just last month, a new game available for mobile platforms was released called "Pokemon go". It is a free to play game and became extremely popular. It features the original 151 Pokemon. Many people who did not play the original games, are playing this one. There are also many like me that play this new one and also played the original games.

You don't need to know what Pokemon are to participate in the challenge. I just thought it would be fun to give everyone somewhere to draw their color choices from as many Pokemon have bold color combinations.

Pokemon are little virtual creatures that are a part of a video game that came out in the mid-late 90s. The game was available for the "game boy" system. The games were extremely popular and they've made many more based off those original ones.

The original games had 151 unique "pocket monsters" (Pokemon) that were catchable in the game through various mechanisms (battling and special encounters). Each Pokemon has a unique look and comes with a type and move set for battling. Each new "generation" of Pokemon adds more to the original 151. If I'm not mistaken, there are about 600 now.

Just last month, a new game available for mobile platforms was released called "Pokemon go". It is a free to play game and became extremely popular. It features the original 151 Pokemon. Many people who did not play the original games, are playing this one. There are also many like me that play this new one and also played the original games.

You don't need to know what Pokemon are to participate in the challenge. I just thought it would be fun to give everyone somewhere to draw their color choices from as many Pokemon have bold color combinations.

I remember my nephews (mostly the oldest one) surgically connected to his Gameboy playing Pokemon. He would even "play" in his sleep. They each had one and would tether together to play. It was comical since there is a five year gap between them and I can remember the little one (Johnny) yelling at the oldest (Joey), "NO!! Not like that, you're doing it wrong. Like THIS." And the arguing would commence. Why does everyone have to grow up? They're 31 and 26 now.

ETA: I never knew that's how they got their name. You learn something new every day.

Good news is the trial was dropped last Friday as the opponents decided it was going to long, arduous and expensive battle. So I lost very little income and no clients as no one found anyone new! I had 3 days before our just turned 9 year old returned from Grandma's, so I rented a beachfront place and had a little vacation of my own.

Still don't think I'll be participating this month though; I'm coming down with a cold and we have guests coming this Friday. So sad to miss out on such a creative theme!

Welp, just took a crack at it. Not looking good. My FO is old and while I remember it not discoloring, it turned the batter a funky orang-ish color. I went ahead with my initial color scheme which used green. So it's pea green. Plus the batter got too thick.

Had a go today. I think everything went well, but that could just be me being overly optimistic :) my fingers are crossed!!

*sits on the sidelines hugging her HP soap*

I just had to say this is a very cute idea for a challenge :)

Testing. Difficulties posting from my tablet.

Well that worked so I will try to post what I was trying to post twice already.

I made my soap for this challenge tonight in a motel in New Mexico. Too tired to go into detail.

Last edited:
7. Dixiedragon - me too!
12. TheDragonGirl- Lets see if I have time for this, I want to do Dragonair
14. Sonya-m - now my dog is on the mend and I'm not going to Spain now I have two weeks to do this instead
15. Artemis... and sons! Pokémon is really more their department. :)

After looking at my limited collection of colorants, my Pokémon experts have chosen Butterfree. When we post pictures of our soaps in the entry thread, will we need to also post a picture of our Pokémon?

Glad to hear some challenge participants have tried the technique!

Yes, I would like a picture of your pokemon along with your entry thread. Sometimes there are slightly different variations among colors and photos. It would be nice to see what you were working from.

The entry thread will be opening in 3 days.

Edit:
*sits on the sidelines hugging her HP soap*

I just had to say this is a very cute idea for a challenge :)

I wonder if you could try with fluid HP? The batter doesnt have to be super thin for this to work. You would just need to be sure to use a thicker hanger tool.

*sigh* Yeah, I signed up, but may not be able to make this one on time, had too much mess to do this month! I've still got a little while I guess, but it ain't looking too good. I still want to try this technique though, it looks neat!

So, Pax (9 yrs) did the Taiwan part and Gaius (10 yrs) did the circular. It looks nothing like a circling Taiwan, but I can't call it a failure. To us, it looks like a Phoenix flying after a storm!

1471445165206.jpg

Back