SMF August Challenge- Pokemon/Hanger Circling Taiwan

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked out the entries and they look wonderful. I haven't had time at all this month to make soap. I've been busy doing other things. The closest I came to doing the entry was printing the recipe and a photo of my pokemon. I also have the jars of colorants sitting on the counter. If I have time and energy tomorrow when I get home from work, I'll make a batch. If not, oh well. I won't be posting anything. I'll try the technique though, it looks interesting. You've got some great designs out of it.

The entry thread will close at 11:59 pm CST today and the survey link will be posted by 8 am CST 8/27.

I'm sorry I haven't been active on this thread the last few days. I became unexpectedly busy with life!

All participants who signed up should have received an email with the password for this months challenge. Sorry for the late survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/R5FBHGD

Let me know if something doesn't work or if you didn't receive the password.

Thank you so much to everyone who entered. I was very impressed with everyone's interpretation of this months challenge.

Pokemon are little virtual creatures that are a part of a video game that came out in the mid-late 90s. The game was available for the "game boy" system. The games were extremely popular and they've made many more based off those original ones.

The original games had 151 unique "pocket monsters" (Pokemon) that were catchable in the game through various mechanisms (battling and special encounters). Each Pokemon has a unique look and comes with a type and move set for battling. Each new "generation" of Pokemon adds more to the original 151. If I'm not mistaken, there are about 600 now.

Just last month, a new game available for mobile platforms was released called "Pokemon go". It is a free to play game and became extremely popular. It features the original 151 Pokemon. Many people who did not play the original games, are playing this one. There are also many like me that play this new one and also played the original games.

You don't need to know what Pokemon are to participate in the challenge. I just thought it would be fun to give everyone somewhere to draw their color choices from as many Pokemon have bold color combinations.

Thank you! I've heard of them and didn't have a clue to what they were. I'm going to have to look up the game. This was a unique fun challenge I've enjoyed the cartoons and soaps to go with them. Great challenge

This was a challenge I really wanted to try but life got in the way yet again :( But on the upside we finally found a house :D Yay. Now begins the packing and sorting and throwing away and the "why on earth did I ever want this thing in the first place?"

It was hard choosing only two. First, I liked them all, but second I just wasn't sure if my perception of technique is a reasonable interpretation. I reviewed the video and photos here as well as some traditionally done Taiwan swirl soaps to try and get an idea of choosing fairly. I am not sure I succeeded, but I tried.

P.S. I just left Alaska today after 8 wonderful days there. We arrived in Seattle at about 11:15 pm Pacific Time and still am not tired enough to sleep. We start driving home in the morning - approximately 2000 miles to go, with a stop in North Dakota so I will have completed my bucket list item of visiting all 50 of the state's in the United States of America.

Last edited:
It was hard choosing only two. First, I liked them all, but second I just wasn't sure if my perception of technique is a reasonable interpretation. I reviewed the video and photos here as well as some traditionally done Taiwan swirl soaps to try and get an idea of choosing fairly. I am not sure I succeeded, but I tried.

P.S. I just left Alaska today after 8 wonderful days there. We arrived in Seattle at about 11:15 pm Pacific Time and still am not tired enough to sleep. We start driving home in the morning - approximately 2000 miles to go, with a stop in North Dakota so I will have completed my bucket list item of visiting all 50 of the state's in the United States of America.

Congrats on getting to all 50 states. I have 7 to go. I don't envy your drive home though. Travel safely.

If there was a prize for most diligent soaper, you would win for sure. It would never occur to me to take soaping supplies along on a road trip. And using makeup as a sub for forgotten colorants - I'm speechless!

Thanks for the votes, and congrats to crispysoap. I'm not at all surprised you won. Your soap was beautiful and you nailed the technique. To everyone who entered - nice work. They were all pretty soapies.

Thanks galaxy for hosting the challenge during all your life craziness.

Last edited:
Truly a wonderful bunch of entries this month; there was no doubt this was a Pokémon theme challenge! Congratulations everyone, and extra high-fives to the winners!

Congratulations Crispysoap and Dibbles!
Excellent work, they are beautiful soaps.

Congratulations to all the entrants who attempted the challenge and especially those who submitted an entry. Great work.

Latest posts

Back