SMF August 2020 Challenge - Zig Zag Cosmic Wave Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would someone please tell me if there is a good tutorial on colorants. I just finished my second attempt. I had what I thought were the perfect colors when compared to the pic I found as inspiration. That beautiful chartreuse hit the batter and “BAM” morphed into a puck mustard color. I was so upset that I got out of rhythm and at the end of the poor it was too thick. I also noted that while the other two colors stayed fluid forever, I didn’t think I was ever going to get them thick enough to put into the morphed color As it thickened up faster.

The morphed color was made with MM lemon cupcake and Elements bath & body radioactive green. 3:1 so there really wasn’t that much green in the mix.

Any suggestions?

I think I’ll have time to make one more attempt but may have to change up my colors as I’m almost out of the lemon cupcake. And I only have the one mold to work with right now. But I refuse to give up.

@Jackie Tobey you might wait and see what happens. I find that blues, greens, and yellows do change a lot during the mixing, pouring, and curing. And then there's gel v. non-gel. Anyway, I hope it turns back into what you wanted!

@Jackie Tobey you might wait and see what happens. I find that blues, greens, and yellows do change a lot during the mixing, pouring, and curing. And then there's gel v. non-gel. Anyway, I hope it turns back into what you wanted!
Thanks. I’ll wait and see. It may still be eligible but I’m still not super happy. Oils the neon green cause it to thicken faster too? That’s the only difference I. The three colors.

Would someone please tell me if there is a good tutorial on colorants. I just finished my second attempt. I had what I thought were the perfect colors when compared to the pic I found as inspiration. That beautiful chartreuse hit the batter and “BAM” morphed into a puck mustard color. I was so upset that I got out of rhythm and at the end of the poor it was too thick. I also noted that while the other two colors stayed fluid forever, I didn’t think I was ever going to get them thick enough to put into the morphed color As it thickened up faster.

The morphed color was made with MM lemon cupcake and Elements bath & body radioactive green. 3:1 so there really wasn’t that much green in the mix.

Any suggestions?

I think I’ll have time to make one more attempt but may have to change up my colors as I’m almost out of the lemon cupcake. And I only have the one mold to work with right now. But I refuse to give up.
@AliOop is right, yellows and greens can morph into some pretty fugly colors, and then like magic go back to what they are meant to be. These color calculators might be helpful. If there is something specific you think I could help with, let me know.
Calculators :: Learning Center :: Explore :: Elements Bath and Body
https://nurturesoap.com/pages/color-blender

@Jackie Tobey I do have certain micas that seem to make the batter thicken faster. There is no rhyme or reason as far as I can tell; it's not like all greens do that, or all yellows, etc. It's a mystery to me!

Any suggestions?

I was just recording notes from MM website on some new colors I received this week and this is what they have for Lemon Cupcake:

Additional Information:
  • Read before you panic! In cold process soap, this mica TURNS ORANGE FIRST, but reverts to a beautiful lemon color within 24 hours. Lovely!
So there's still hope!

I don’t qualify for the challenge yet but Sarah, gorgeous! I tried this a couple of times. Can I post those here?

1st: started to accelerate. Used Lime Cilantro FO. Was a dumping cosmic rush!

2nd: a thinner recipe with a well behaved sandalwood FO. Much better results but I’m not loving working with TD. Seems a bit crumbly unmolding and cutting. Suggestions? Using 1t or less per lb oils.
582B36AD-95E3-460E-AD7B-278AB6ABC9CA.jpeg
93D999B7-4A98-46AA-8A3A-329EF9900638.jpeg

2nd: a thinner recipe with a well behaved sandalwood FO. Much better results but I’m not loving working with TD. Seems a bit crumbly unmolding and cutting. Suggestions? Using 1t or less per lb oils.View attachment 48768View attachment 48769
I like the blue one. Looks like a Picasso

edit...they both look like Picassos lol

2nd: a thinner recipe with a well behaved sandalwood FO. Much better results but I’m not loving working with TD. Seems a bit crumbly unmolding and cutting. Suggestions? Using 1t or less per lb oils.View attachment 48768View attachment 48769
I think they both look amazing! I really love the blue one - reminds me of the ocean. The green one looks great even though you didn't get to execute your plan. I haven't been able to get a good handle on TD either.

Ok. I wasnt gonna do it, i made a third attempt. I made a full batch and poured two molds. Not sure if they will meet the criteria, i tried lol. Either way, they look pretty, so i will be submitting after all. Cranberry Spice. I guess we will see after i cut
My mom used to make a chocolate brownie desert with a cream cheese layer swirled into the top when I was a kid. It was my favorite. Your soap look just like it! 😁 I think you have a good entry. Looking forward to seeing it cut.

I was a bit bummed after I poured my soap, It wasn't what I had pictured in my mind. But I cut it today and it came out better than I expected. I'm happy with it 😊

I unmoulded it yesterday and it was still super soft, (Perhaps from the increased water %) my finger squshed a few holes in it. *Panic* but I set it out on top of my Desktop pc (It's always warm) with a fan blowing on it, so I managed to cut it today.

Good Luck to everyone. 🍀 I'm really excited to see everyone's photos and all the colours and variations

Latest posts

Back