SMF August 2020 Challenge - Zig Zag Cosmic Wave Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m seeing some darn nice soaps up there. As for colors, I’ve found that contrasting colors look increasingly brown as the lines get thinner, unless I use a high proportion of white in between the the layers.

It’s been a crazy few weeks of making the final preparations to start the fall semester at the university where I work, but I’m hoping to make soap today or tomorrow. First I have to find a clean spot that isn’t covered with fabric (I’ve been doing a bit of sewing) or something I ordered and haven’t put away.

I’m seeing some darn nice soaps up there. As for colors, I’ve found that contrasting colors look increasingly brown as the lines get thinner, unless I use a high proportion of white in between the the layers.
Thank you for confirming that! I was thinking the same as I was comparing my high contrast soaps with the ones that use various shades of the same or similar colors.

I’m going for a third try today (if I get my carrot cake done in time before our monthly card game) and was planning to try with light, medium and dark tones of the same color. Hope you get to do yours, too!

Try #3 for the August SMF Challenge is wrapped in towels and sleeping till tomorrow. Although the colors aren't as fun, the pattern turned out best on this one. What I learned this time:

1. Whichever color provides the most contrast, for me it works best to make more of that color, and use it in between the other two, rather than a straight 1-2-3, 1-2-3 color rotation.

2. Monochromatic color palettes really are easier for this technique.

3. Stop pouring when the batter becomes blurred. Either pour that blurry stuff out into a container for extra soaps, or find a way to re-mix it back into your darkest color (one reason why monochromatic palettes work well here). Then wipe out the pour pitcher and make a clean batch for the next round of pouring.

4. Blending to a non-quite-stable emulsion works just fine if you quickly pour into your color containers. This gives you more mixing time to reach a stable emulsion with your colors.

Of course, having learned all this, now I wonder if I need to do a FOURTH batch. Someone tell me to stop the insanity! 😂

Try #3 for the August SMF Challenge is wrapped in towels and sleeping till tomorrow. Although the colors aren't as fun, the pattern turned out best on this one. What I learned this time:

1. Whichever color provides the most contrast, for me it works best to make more of that color, and use it in between the other two, rather than a straight 1-2-3, 1-2-3 color rotation.

2. Monochromatic color palettes really are easier for this technique.

3. Stop pouring when the batter becomes blurred. Either pour that blurry stuff out into a container for extra soaps, or find a way to re-mix it back into your darkest color (one reason why monochromatic palettes work well here). Then wipe out the pour pitcher and make a clean batch for the next round of pouring.

4. Blending to a non-quite-stable emulsion works just fine if you quickly pour into your color containers. This gives you more mixing time to reach a stable emulsion with your colors.

Of course, having learned all this, now I wonder if I need to do a FOURTH batch. Someone tell me to stop the insanity! 😂

Awesome suggestions @AliOop . So in #1 you mean do 1,2,1,3,1,2? If I was so inclined to try a fifth time I would try that. It makes great sense. How much time do I have left?

Oh no, stop...don't stop the insanity! This has been a frustratingly great experience :)

@gardengeek here is how I poured:

1, 2
3, 2
1, 2
3, 2

The 1s and 3s were slightly larger, and the 2s were slightly smaller.

Does that make sense? I think your suggestion would work as well.

@AliOop Yes it does. If the loaf I cut today (#4) doesn't turn out well then I guess I have no choice. I ain't going down without a fight! I have my recipe sheet on standby.

@dibbles Thanks for enabling!

I am still waiting for my new supplies to arrive (ordered Aug 3rd) so I may or may not have one opportunity to attempt this again in time for the cut off. They were going to be here Friday...."out on truck for delivery".....then I got a message that they made a processing error and my delivery was rerouted. Im hoping it arrives by tomorrow but who knows where it was rerouted to. I'm a little frustrated, to say the least.

I am still waiting for my new supplies to arrive (ordered Aug 3rd) so I may or may not have one opportunity to attempt this again in time for the cut off. They were going to be here Friday...."out on truck for delivery".....then I got a message that they made a processing error and my delivery was rerouted. Im hoping it arrives by tomorrow but who knows where it was rerouted to. I'm a little frustrated, to say the least.
Aww man! I hope you get it in time. :)

Ok, so I just finished attempt 5. Here is what I have learned so far.

1. After adding lye solution to oils, instead of just stirring with a whisk, SB to emulsion. I found one of my colors kept thickening too fast and the other two were lagging behind. So that when I tried to layer them in the bowl to start the zigzag pour, the thicker one kept sinking to the bottom of the bowl and I could barely see it. Yep it was the last one poured out of the main soap bowl so it had to have algae more lye in it than the first two.

2. Don’t add more water to that one thickened color in an attempt to thin it back down so it is the same consistency as the other two.

3. Rethink the percentages of the colors. I tried 50:30:20 percent, 50:40:10 percent and 40:30:30. The last one I did make my darkest color the higher the percentage and alternate it with the other two colors as mentioned above. It was too high of a percentage. I think if I make one more attempt that I will lessen the darkest color to 20 to 30 percent again.

3. Make sure and read about the colorants before using them to see if they morph.

4. The fragrance oils I used were great and well behaved so that is another lesson I learned. Read up on the fragrance and make sure it is appropriate for what you are attempting.

5. Soap when the spouse is away at work or out period. Divorce crossed my mind at least twice during these attempts.

6. Don’t be scared to at least try the complicated stuff. I still don’t have one I think is competition worthy but I keep trying.

7. Don’t second guess a recipe and add too many butters or lard. It really does need to be high Oleic to give you time. Just make sure it’s well at emulsion before you divide.

8. Put the colorants into the containers you plan to use instead of leaving them in the small cups used to mix them with oils. It helps you to not feel rushed.

9. Don’t have the mold proped too high. I lost my curve line because I lowered it too soon and it was too high. Also I was rushed because that one color of soap was thickening up too fast.

I’m sure other things will come to me but that’s it for now. I think I may have time for one more attempt tomorrow if I can get the soap out of the mold I made today. After that I go back to work. And working 12 hour shifts at night doesn’t leave you much time to soap when your on a long stretch.

Best of luck to you all.

[QUOTE="Jackie Tobey, post: 844462, member: 31414"
3. Rethink the percentages of the colors. I tried 50:30:20 percent, 50:40:10 percent and 40:30:30. The last one I did make my darkest color the higher the percentage and alternate it with the other two colors as mentioned above. It was too high of a percentage. I think if I make one more attempt that I will lessen the darkest color to 20 to 30 percent again.
[/QUOTE]

So much great insight there, Jackie! Love the part about not having the spouse around. During my last pour, mine walked in the door earlier than expected. He started to say something to me but saw my "look" and turned right back around and went out through the door. Smart man! 😂

I do feel badly that I didn't explain myself well regarding the color split. I used more of the color that was the greatest contrast to the other two. For my batch, that meant more white (my lightest color) because it was the least similar to the other two colors (dark grey and black). I guess it depends on your color scheme as to whether the lightest or darkest color will give you the contrast you want.

Anyway, I bet your soap is better than you think. You can always put it in the freezer so you can un-mold it and free up mold space for another batch. Either way, I do hope you enter! I recently entered my rather pitiful marble soap in the Soap Challenge Club for July, where world class soap artists had all these amazing entries. While I was quite close to the bottom in terms of votes gained, it felt good to complete it, no matter how my soap compared to someone else's.

[QUOTE="Jackie Tobey, post: 844462, member: 31414"

So much great insight there, Jackie! Love the part about not having the spouse around. During my last pour, mine walked in the door earlier than expected. He started to say something to me but saw my "look" and turned right back around and went out through the door. Smart man! 😂

I do feel badly that I didn't explain myself well regarding the color split. I used more of the color that was the greatest contrast to the other two. For my batch, that meant more white (my lightest color) because it was the least similar to the other two colors (dark grey and black). I guess it depends on your color scheme as to whether the lightest or darkest color will give you the contrast you want.

Anyway, I bet your soap is better than you think. You can always put it in the freezer so you can un-mold it and free up mold space for another batch. Either way, I do hope you enter! I recently entered my rather pitiful marble soap in the Soap Challenge Club for July, where world class soap artists had all these amazing entries. While I was quite close to the bottom in terms of votes gained, it felt good to complete it, no matter how my soap compared to someone else's.
[/QUOTE]

That is genius about putting soap in freezer. I’ve read that suggested in other threads but didn’t think about it.

And hilarious about the look to the husband. I gave mine the lecture twice about once started the soap won’t wait for him to interrupt me a million times over non important stuff. The last time he gave me the 🙄 and almost lost his head. Men!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I believe I will try once more. After all the hubby commented on my failed attempts and disappointment “will it still clean my a#s?” Yes it will. And since I don’t sell my friends will be gifted lots of wonky looking soap that will still clean their a#*.

Ok, so I just finished attempt 5. Here is what I have learned so far.

1. After adding lye solution to oils, instead of just stirring with a whisk, SB to emulsion. I found one of my colors kept thickening too fast and the other two were lagging behind. So that when I tried to layer them in the bowl to start the zigzag pour, the thicker one kept sinking to the bottom of the bowl and I could barely see it. Yep it was the last one poured out of the main soap bowl so it had to have algae more lye in it than the first two.

2. Don’t add more water to that one thickened color in an attempt to thin it back down so it is the same consistency as the other two.

3. Make sure and read about the colorants before using them to see if they morph.

4. The fragrance oils I used were great and well behaved so that is another lesson I learned. Read up on the fragrance and make sure it is appropriate for what you are attempting.

5. Soap when the spouse is away at work or out period. Divorce crossed my mind at least twice during these attempts.

6. Don’t be scared to at least try the complicated stuff. I still don’t have one I think is competition worthy but I keep trying.

7. Don’t second guess a recipe and add too many butters or lard. It really does need to be high Oleic to give you time. Just make sure it’s well at emulsion before you divide.

8. Put the colorants into the containers you plan to use instead of leaving them in the small cups used to mix them with oils. It helps you to not feel rushed.

9. Don’t have the mold proped too high. I lost my curve line because I lowered it too soon and it was too high. Also I was rushed because that one color of soap was thickening up too fast.

I’m sure other things will come to me but that’s it for now. I think I may have time for one more attempt tomorrow if I can get the soap out of the mold I made today. After that I go back to work. And working 12 hour shifts at night doesn’t leave you much time to soap when your on a long stretch.

Best of luck to you all.

I wanted to add to one of the items above regarding not getting to emulsion before dividing my batch. That is exactly what happened as I just checked the soap and it has a large film of oil sitting on top of it. Of note, I love soap with higher amounts of butters for added creamy lather and hard bar. So working with a high oleic batter has thrown me off. So I believe I will attempt this one more time later today. Wish me luck.

These are my attempts that I did not enter. This was a fun challenge and I’ll probably be making this design again as it really makes a pretty soap even if it’s not a perfect execution of the design.
69A3B4BD-BCD1-48A5-9B51-C63621F4402F.jpeg
18273206-235C-423D-B73F-F2E387558DE6.jpeg
DCFA86F6-7E12-4F24-8F0A-593161F56921.png
673F56CC-6344-408B-AFFF-6148930F1768.jpeg

Latest posts

Back