SMF August 2020 Challenge - Zig Zag Cosmic Wave Technique

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like this non entry. I was going to submit this one but decided on another. Scented with Blackberry Bramble Tea FO—the shavings are gorgeous as hand wash. I’m surprise this one behaved. Of course my notes are scattered all over the place and I’m not exactly sure what I did to it lol 😂
7BC93FEC-AAAA-48B2-A062-07B5C1B7831E.jpeg
B2642A03-7603-428B-86CC-AE34996B5F6C.jpeg

AAAAAAH I should really get some time to soap tomorrow. I really want to try at least once, so I feel like I participated. But tomorrow is a busy day.. :'(
All the entries look gorgeous so that raises the bar tremendously.

These are my attempts that I did not enter. This was a fun challenge and I’ll probably be making this design again as it really makes a pretty soap even if it’s not a perfect execution of the design.
I am so thankful you were only allowed one entry, because you probably would have taken the top ten spots already! Seriously, those are all so beautiful. I made another batch today, with brighter colors, and it was pretty similar to my first two. Not horrible, but not very true to the design criteria. I probably won't be using this technique for future batches, but I'll gladly enjoy any photos of YOUR soaps using this technique. :)

I really like this non entry. I was going to submit this one but decided on another. Scented with Blackberry Bramble Tea FO—the shavings are gorgeous as hand wash. I’m surprise this one behaved. Of course my notes are scattered all over the place and I’m not exactly sure what I did to it lol 😂
@sarahmarah you and JerseyGirl are killin' me here. Your entries AND non-entries are so amazing! Great job on the colors and technique.

Last edited:
I am so thankful you were only allowed one entry, because you probably would have taken the top ten spots already! Seriously, those are all so beautiful. I made another batch today, with brighter colors, and it was pretty similar to my first two. Not horrible, but not very true to the design criteria. I probably won't be using this technique for future batches, but I'll gladly enjoy any photos of YOUR soaps using this technique. :)

You and JerseyGirl are killin' me here. Your entries AND non-entries are so amazing! Great job on the colors and technique.
@AliOop, you’re making me blush! That’s very sweet of you to say. Thank you for the lovely compliment. It means a lot. 😊

I've posted my entry on the entry thread but figured I want to post the rest of the photos here and rant about my experience.
I always had bad luck with very intricate swirls such as this and the clam shell swirl. I've tried the clam shell swirls before and it took me three batches to get one remotely good looking one so I was kinda wary about it but wanted to challenge myself. My design was a oceanic/galaxy-esque looking bar.
The recipe I used was supposed to be pretty slow moving but I accidentally SB it a little too much. After adding the FO, dividing into cups, mixing in colorants, and pour into one pitcher, my batter is almost medium trace. To make it even worse, I grabbed the wrong mold-instead of the square shaped loaf mold I grabbed the tall loaf mold so I didn't have enough space to maneuver around. I got very discouraged and wanted to not submit the entry.
However, after slicing the loaf, I found the pattern to be not bad looking. Doesn't really look like a zig zag swirland the color got muddy at one end but overall acceptable. Here's the photos when it was just sliced.
1.jpg
微信图片_20200826102814.jpg

Because I grabbed the wrong mold, all my calculations were thrown off as well. I ended up getting only 6 bars of my normal soap size, four slightly smaller end pieces and a huge chunk of unusable uneven piece (the one on the left in the left photo). I'd probably just use them as samples to give out.
The scent is China Rain from NG. It doesn't A or D or R as far as I can tell (my white parts look yellow-ish because of my oil) and a clean scent. I really like it but would probably try mixing it with a FO that's is more unisex.
The finished bars. I still need to plane them and trim the sides but overall I'm pretty satisfied with the results. Will definitely want to sue technique more often in the future.
微信图片_20200826102843.jpg

I really like this non entry. I was going to submit this one but decided on another. Scented with Blackberry Bramble Tea FO—the shavings are gorgeous as hand wash. I’m surprise this one behaved. Of course my notes are scattered all over the place and I’m not exactly sure what I did to it lol 😂View attachment 48923View attachment 48924
The design and colors are just perfect for the fragrance!

I just want to peek in to say to all the participants: Your soaps are gorgeous!! I love what you did, it looks amazing.
I second this statement! Everyone has done amazing so far and I firmly believe any/all other entries will be equally as stunning! 👏

I finally got myself together and made an attempt. Thanks to all the info in this thread things went relatively smoothly. I re-poured my jug each time I switched sides, which really saved me since my batter was still at emulsion and very prone to muddying. It's still a bit muddy in some spots, but I'm happy enough.
I really hope to get some pictures in tomorrow so I can enter and then I'll go on a soapy vacation for a few months. Other things need my attention at the moment and I just don't have the peace of mind to make soap for 2 hours.
Thanks everyone for all the helpful sharing of experiences and learning moments. I feel I haven't really participated this month, just cramming in a last minute attempt, but I've loved following everyone's journey and there are some really beautiful entries out there!!

Great looking entries, so far, folks!

I finally got myself together and made an attempt. Thanks to all the info in this thread things went relatively smoothly. I re-poured my jug each time I switched sides, which really saved me since my batter was still at emulsion and very prone to muddying. It's still a bit muddy in some spots, but I'm happy enough.
I really hope to get some pictures in tomorrow so I can enter and then I'll go on a soapy vacation for a few months. Other things need my attention at the moment and I just don't have the peace of mind to make soap for 2 hours.
Thanks everyone for all the helpful sharing of experiences and learning moments. I feel I haven't really participated this month, just cramming in a last minute attempt, but I've loved following everyone's journey and there are some really beautiful entries out there!!

szaza, I also just made my one try this morning & was really happy to discover I have enough time before I have to cut an post an entry. You will be missed while you are busy doing your attention-needing duties. I, too, have been busy with other things, but really wanted to get this one done and I'm actually happy that it went well enough considering I had no time to make more than one attempt. Unfortunately, when I was finished I realized my Fragrance was still on the table in the container I had weighed it out in. But the kitchen smells lovely, even if it's not in the soap.

Happily, my son's former rental house here in town that we were getting ready for sale is done and has an offer that my son & DIL have accepted. My granddaughter has flown home, and I miss her, but he was happy to be done with the house. Until the sale is finalized and closing occurs, my only duty toward the house is to make sure the lawn is mowed and the occasional safety check (like when the storm brought down a large tree limb).

Anyway, my plan is to cut tomorrow and post my entry thereafter.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you made @earlene !
I just realized my 'attention needing duties' sound very ominous, while they're actually really nice: I got a new job and we bought a house that we'll move into next month. There's just a crazy amount of 'new' at the moment and lots of things that need organizing/looking up/deciding,.. So figuring out a recipe and deciding on scent and color somehow is too much at the moment.

I just made a batch today and while cleaning up discovered the fragrance oil sitting on the counter!
Isn't that the worst?! I think we've all been there.. I now add my fragrance immediately to the oils to prevent myself from forgetting, but still..

Back