SMF April 2023 Challenge-Faux Funnel Technique Designs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking a moment to share my process to clean out squeeze bottles. I bought this skinny spatula that fits perfectly inside my wide-mouth squeeze bottles to scrape out all remaining soap batter. That batter then gets smooshed into cavity molds.

I then shove a microfiber towel inside the squeeze bottles and rotate several times to fully clean out the bottles. There is very little soap left. I then stick them in the dish washer a day later (or whenever I remember to wash my soap equipment).

D972A934-C3DC-462E-BA5B-542DD8EB78FC.jpeg

Last edited:
Working with squeeze bottles can be a pain. But, especially for this technique, they give you much more control over the “pour” rate than if you were to use cups, etc. the condiment bottles you find at the dollar store usually are not wide-mouthed. Which makes them very difficult to clean out. Highly recommend investing in 4-6 wide-mouth squeeze bottles.

That’s a good use for that spatula @The_Phoenix ! Custom Crafts included one with my Hercules, and I hadn’t found a use for it. Last time I tried squeeze bottles, I tried the system of lining them with the packing bags that come to protect shipped items. It worked and I didn’t have much waste since I could pull them out and get the last into a single cavity mold. I think no matter what, it’s probably a hassle, but the results you get can be worth it, for sure. 🌸

April has slipped away quickly, but I finally found time to make my entry last evening. Reluctantly, I resisted the urge to look at the other entries till my batch was poured :) Good work, people!

I made my first circle pours about the size that I wanted the finished circle design to be. Mistake! If I do this again, I'll start small. The circles expand quite a bit as you pour more rings.

Anyhow, here's how I used part of my extra batter.

20230422_191142.jpg

These are the first two soaps I made for the challenge that didn’t quite measure up. The goldfish soap, I forgot to take a picture before I swirled it so I made the bee 🐝 soap. I didn’t like the pour so on to the last soap I made and that one I posted! Phew!!
49986B320CE04C6DA72C05287CD251E4.jpeg

3B89219C1EDE4BDBA02D87C5540A4628.jpeg

Last edited:
Dibbles is it ok to use two different batches in your entry photo, one is slightly swirled and one that is plain? They both are the same colors.
I really think that the soaps entered should be from one batch so that individual bars can't be cherry-picked from multiple batches for an entry. I thought there was something in the rules stating that, but evidently there isn't. I guess since nothing was said to the contrary, it would have to be allowed. I think if you decide to enter both, you should clearly state that they are from different batches so others can decide how they feel about it when voting. I will be talking to the challenge host team, and recommend that the rules be updated to reflect that soaps entered should all be from the same batch.

If you forgot to take a picture of your soap in the mold before you swirled it, then that one would be disqualified so your unswirled batch would be the one to enter.

@Ephemerella what a story! Despite everything your soap turned out nicely. But, the bear!!! We have bears around here too, but all they have ever gotten into is the bird feeders. I haven't seen them this year, but hubby has put all the bird feeders and suet on ropes suspended out of reach between trees. Until they can figure out how to work a pulley, I think the seeds are safe.

So - what was the irresistible fragrance? Was it a foodie scent?

I really think that the soaps entered should be from one batch so that individual bars can't be cherry-picked from multiple batches for an entry. I thought there was something in the rules stating that, but evidently there isn't. I guess since nothing was said to the contrary, it would have to be allowed. I think if you decide to enter both, you should clearly state that they are from different batches so others can decide how they feel about it when voting. I will be talking to the challenge host team, and recommend that the rules be updated to reflect that soaps entered should all be from the same batch.

If you forgot to take a picture of your soap in the mold before you swirled it, then that one would be disqualified so your unswirled batch would be the one to enter.
Thank you. I was kind of surprised to see it wasn't in the rules.

Latest posts

Back