SMF April 2018 Challenge - Sous Vide (HP) Soap swirling!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeeAnna, I am so impressed with how gorgeous your soaps look. I am sure all the practice learning to perfect the method, coupled with your own built-in artistry played a role in the results you got.

SaltedFig, thank you for the challenge. I will definitely try this again, but next time I will use my canning jars. I really should have done so in the first place. I thought when my test of the process using only water in the first bag was sufficient to indicate the baggies would not spring a leak, but I didn't take into account that soap batter is not equal to plain water inside a baggie. So I got a little leak in one of the baggies, maybe two. So next time, I'll make sure they are the stronger freezer baggies (I forgot to double check if they were or not) AND I'll put each one inside a canning jar as double insurance against bag failure.

I was wondering if this would be too problematic for a fast moving recipe. Has anyone tried it with a really fast moving recipe?

Serene, are you going to post an entry in the entry thread? I assumed that is why you asked about if it was up yet.

Pilar, that's an interesting link.

SaltedFig, since the entry threat was up a little late, will you extend it a day or so for additional entries? Just wondering, since I know that a couple people mentioned their entries, but I don't see them up yet. Just curious; no pressure.

Okay, I"m at the computer for a few so a few pictures incoming. Process pictures are in the challenge entry thread :).
I love the "mess" left...instead of 7 measuring cups to clean I had 7 baggies to toss! Looking at it, I could probably get a bar out of whats left in the baggies total...putting gloves on both hands would've helped me get more out of the baggies. I've learned not to fret over a few ounces of soap because then I mess up the big batch! But it's something to keep in mind.

Picture of the molds partially filled-you can see how liquidy the batter is, and how it holds the heat well-they are in the vaseline stage longer in the molds. I'm not sure if that's due to less water evaporating out or that I'm not pulling batter out and mixing fo's in after cook. I ran out of 1lb molds so had to use a 2lb, hence the propping (and hence the curved bottoms LOL). Note to self, get more 1 lb molds. To keep my scents straight, I lined them up according to the list I wrote on my recipe.

Next two pictures are of the final results, the swirling is all on top so nothing to see head on LOL. I do find these are stickier than my normal method, but again, I think that's due to the water not evaporating during cook/scenting. Most of the scents were Candle Science with one Rustic Escentuals thrown in. Don't read the lids, they got mixed up when I was cleaning up :).

Next picture shows a lonely scented baggie after vaseline stage. Water is white due to spilled batter...Next is me mixing the mica after cook-highly recommend doing it before cook! HOT HOT!

These were just testers, but I partially colored anyway- one so I can tell them apart and two so I can see if the colors morph and how bad the batter will discolor. Blueberry parafait is going to be another brown soap....lots of vanilla!
mess.jpg
vaselines.jpg
batch 4.jpg
batch three.jpg
labeled.jpg
mixing.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I think I forgot to add the EDTA to my soap, and am not impressed with the fragrance either. I wasn't thrilled with how my colors turned out, so thought I'd cut into some of the soaps and see how the swirl looks on the inside. Again, not impressed. The color intensity of one of the colors is as it should be, but the rest are disappointing with one being down-right rejection-worthy. For the most part, the soap is really smooth on the inside, which is good to know, but I may just re-batch these (saving one for further eval down the road), and add in the EDTA.

Not sure if I want to do a whole re-batch in the Sous Vide method, or as a soap confetti or what. In any case, I'm planning a re-batch.

Earlene, same thing with me and the FO I used. Dragon Moon from Nurture. I am seriously considering putting the soap outside. Hate it. The soap itself looks like it needs to be washed. It has this dirty look to it. As if it needs washing. I guess its because I am used to my creamy look with cold process. I did mix the color before the cook because if I had to add the color and Fragrance at the same time, I would have given up. It was a paste by the time I beat it into submission, even though I put it in there while it was piping hot. It just dried so quick!!

Earlene, same thing with me and the FO I used. Dragon Moon from Nurture. I am seriously considering putting the soap outside. Hate it. The soap itself looks like it needs to be washed. It has this dirty look to it. As if it needs washing. I guess its because I am used to my creamy look with cold process. I did mix the color before the cook because if I had to add the color and Fragrance at the same time, I would have given up. It was a paste by the time I beat it into submission, even though I put it in there while it was piping hot. It just dried so quick!!

But they sure do look gorgeous in the entry photos, Serene.

I don't know what it is about me and fragrances. I'll try one that I think is great out of bottle, and once it's in soap, I just don't like it at all. Not always, but it seems to happen more often than I would expect.

Artemis,

Its smells like potpourri in a musty basement. Its not terrible, I just cant take too much of it. I bought 2 oz to test since the reviews were great. I dont know what those 14 reviewers are smelling but I dont get it. lol

Mine may be late too. I had a friend's Mom in the hospital so took a trip and totally forgot to post before I left. If late please delete. Not fair to the others that were on time.

Lin19687,

Replying here because I dont want to comment on the entry thread.

I think the fluidity of my swirls may have to do with the fact that one of my bags, the white, had a hole in it and water got into it. Enough water that the soap was a lot more fluid than the other two and I had to drain it and change the bag. I did remembered, from watching a video, to keep the soap warm and covered. Its one of those fluid hot process videos that have been circulating around the forum. I wanted to get the blue and brown somewhat the same consistency so I added a bit of Glycerin with the fo. I then moved all 3 bags into the hot water in the crock pot, and with rubber gloves on massaged the bags to mix the glycerin, and fo. (Crock pot was already off but the water was hot)

I know I said I would never again soap in a bag but curiosity is now poking at me. Once I get a bit of time I may just have to pull the crock pot and the bags out again. I have plenty of oven bags and freezer bags left. I I do another experiment I will update.

Artemis,

Its smells like potpourri in a musty basement. Its not terrible, I just cant take too much of it. I bought 2 oz to test since the reviews were great. I dont know what those 14 reviewers are smelling but I dont get it. lol

Dragon Moon...I liked this better than you did, but this got me wondering how it is now, 5-6 months later. It has definitely lost the earthyness it had and is now a light floral. I’d say maybe jasmine/lily. I first described it as a ‘purple’ smell, and I still get that - if purple was a scent. It’s not grape or candy, not too sweet, and the floral notes aren’t heavy. It’s fine, but I won’t order it again. There are too many that are better. If you keep a bar, I’d be curious as to what you think of it later. Noses are so different, but now I’m not getting any of the musty - which my nose thought was earthy.

PM's have all been sent.

Voting will remain open until the end of April and the winner will be announced after voting is closed.

Thank you all so much for being part of this months challenge :)

Salted Fig, I just want to say you did a great job hosting your first challenge. Coming up with a completely new process for soap making - wow! I can't say this will make a HP convert out of me, but at least I know I have an option for a couple of FOs that are beyond naughty. Thank you for all the time and effort you put into this.

Congratulations Serene, DeeAnna and Earlene for your great soaps in this technical challenge.
Congratulations to everyone who entered and those who tried but just didn’t put an entry in. Excellent work by you all.

Latest posts

Back