skin drying soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timley

Reaction score
He everyone, so I am a little bumed out right now, my first 2 batches of soap are now 2 and 1/2 weeks old, are not caustic anymore, nice and firm, they are made of 1st- olive oil, coconut oil, canaola oil and caster oil...2nd batch was the same receipe except I replaced part of the water to mix with the lye with goatsmilk "canned" not fresh. I have shavings and small chunks set aside of this soap, I tried washing my hands 2 days in a row using both soaps and much to my dismay they both dry my hands to the point they feel very ruff like you had washed your hands over and over and dried them out. Sorry but I don't have the receipe in front of me to give exact measurements, but it was a basic beginners receipe I got off line. Everything has gone well except for it drys out your skin?? Any suggestions?

it'll get better if you let it cure a while... 2 1/2 weeks isn't very long. mine go at least 6 weeks before being used.

It is hard to give advice without knowing what you did, exactly.
Did you calculate the lye yourself using an online calculator?
To what level was it super fatted?
Did you zap test the soaps?

Thanks so much for your response, I will have to get back to you with the exact amounts of ingrediants used, but I followed it to the "t", including there lye calculations, and no I did not try the zap test, don't know if I want to put the soap on my tounge. lol I just know it was kinda rubbery feeling when you squeezed it and it has now hardened nicely and it dosn't burn my skin if it was even suppose to, IDK I am just learning.

Always check the lye calculations for yourself and then you can make sure that #1 it is not lye heavy and you can adjust the superfat to something that is not drying.

I test my soaps on myself within days of making it to see what it's going to be like and I've not had one that is drying...

Latest posts

Back