Quantcast

shelf life

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

bevvy

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I was just wondering what the shelf life is of an opened bottle of F.O and E.O is???

Thanks

IanT

Reaction score
it would depend on the particular EO or FO's, generally Id say if stored ni a cool dark place they should keep 6 mos to 1yr?

Tabitha

Reaction score
Most suppliers will tell you 1 year. With that being said, I have some favorite bottles I have savoring for *years*. I have a plumeria that gets better w/ age like a fine wine!

pepperi27

Reaction score
I agree with tab. I also think it depends on where you get it and how fresh it is. I buy most all my fragrances from peaks.

mandolyn

Reaction score
Depends. Patchouli gets better the older it is. If kept in amber bottles FO/EO's will last longer. I've had a supplier tell me stored in amber bottles away from light up to 2 years.

Healinya

Reaction score
How can you tell if it's bad? I have a couple bottles that I bought at From Nature With Love back in 1999, and they still smell fresh. I won't use them cuz I know they are bad, but it's almost a science project for me - they look and smell as fresh as the day I got it... I assumed the only way to tell if to use it and have a mistake happen, or no scent?

digit

Reaction score
Healinya said:
I won't use them cuz I know they are bad, but it's almost a science project for me - they look and smell as fresh as the day I got it...
What you need to do, is box them up securely and send them to me. I will enjoy...........uh.........I mean test them and let you know if they were good or not.

Digit

mandolyn

Reaction score
Healinya said:
How can you tell if it's bad? I have a couple bottles that I bought at From Nature With Love back in 1999, and they still smell fresh. I won't use them cuz I know they are bad, but it's almost a science project for me - they look and smell as fresh as the day I got it... I assumed the only way to tell if to use it and have a mistake happen, or no scent?
Well, when I think bad, I think weak or off-smelling. If they still smell strong with no off-smell, I'd go ahead and use them - not in something I'd sell, but for my own personal use.

Latest posts