Shaving soap in tins

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky

Reaction score
Has anyone tried pouring their CP shaving soap straight into a tin? I've been asked to do a gift basket for a friends new boyfriend, and am really struggling with 'guy type' stuff, especially at this late date!!

Mind you, I am doing a roaring trade in $25 gift baskets!! I had 4 picked up yesterday, have to deliver 2 tomorrow & have another 6-8 to make, it's great. $25 gets 3 soaps, 1 jar of emulsified sugar scrub & 1 bottle of body lotion, with a couple of candy canes and a mini christmas cracker, all done up in cello with a bow. They are going faster than I can keep up! Mind you, if I made more baskets & hung out here less, I'd be further ahead, but I just don't see the fun in that! :lol:

I've read that CP will have a chemical reaction with some metals.

Glass, plastic, or stainless steel are safe I know, but I don't know about tin.

I found some cute little glass bowls with a handle at Ben Franklin craft store (don't know if you have one) for $1. I plan to pour my shaving soap into them whenever I find some shaving brushes to go with them.

B

The lye will react with aluminum. I don't think the tins are made of aluminum (always double check though - my assumption is just that) BUT they will rust given the right conditions. and a water-containing product sitting in the bathroom is a good example for these "right conditions".

Back