Sharing info:

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixie

Reaction score
Finally figured out why some of my soap is lye heavy!! After reviewing my recipes on the soaps that were lye heavy (3), they all have shortning in them. I was looking over Kathy Millers home page and this is what she says:

A hint for calculating shortening SAPs on MMS: Majestic Mountain Sage doesn't have a field for shortening, since its ingredients can vary. For ease in calculating, you can plug your shortening amounts into the field of some other oil with a similar SAP number. For a SAP value of .129, use the Safflower or Corn Oil field.

I had been using the sap value for soybean oil with is .130. Shortning is .126

I'm so happy to figure this out!!!! It was really agrevating me to have a lye heavy bar that took twice as long to cure! ugh!

More than welcome. It almost makes me want to calculate by hand the SAP values and make soap that way....hmmmm. naaaa;)

I have a hard time believing that .4% would make a difference. I'll be curious to see if it really does make a difference after your next batch with the updated number.

donniej said:
I have a hard time believing that .4% would make a difference.

I agree. The amount of lye isn't the problem.
I doubt the scale you're using would even weigh .004
differences in lye.

Back