FA profile, etc. for the Sage's hydrogenated Soy Wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because of some discussion in another thread, wherein Dean mentioned this product, I contacted the Sage to inquire about details for this hyrdorgenated soybean oil that the Sage carries:

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/products/Soybean-Oil-(hydrogenated).html

Here are the responses (4 separate emails) combined into one:

~ ~ ~ ~
Quote:

Earlene,

20-50% of the mixture is hydrogenated soybean oil.
The other 50%+ is High Oleic Soybean Oil.

Fatty Acid Profile
FATTY ACID per 100g
C12:0 Lauric 0.2
C14:0 Myristic 0.2
C16:0 Palmitic 10.0
C18:0 Stearic 31.6
C18:1 Oleic cis 41.3
C18:1 Oleic trans 0.3
C18:2 Linoleic cis 9.3
C18:2 Linoleic trans 0.2
C18:3 Linolenic cis 1.3
C18:3 Linolenic trans 0.3
C20:0 Arachidic 0.4
C20:1 Gadoleic 0.2
C22:0 Behenic 0.3
C24:0 Lignoceric 0

The soybeans this oil is derived from are GMO.*
*This voluntary statement is compliant with the National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standard and can be used on food labels sold at retail. This product does not contain bioengineered substance due to the processing of this product and does not require labeling as a bioengineered food.

This material has a melting point of 120-132°F.

This is the end of the email series I have for you.

Tina
TheSage.com Team Member

End Quote
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I did not ask about the SAP value. My bad. But I expect it is the same as the rest of the soys,

191-192 KOH and
136-137 NaOH.

Incidentally, this does indicate it is made from Genetically Modified Soybeans, even though it is called non-GMO, which it is so-labelled on a technicality as far as some would judge that statement.

But, the good news is there is now a HO Soybean Oil in production, that I had not heard of until now.

Here is a link about HO Soy:

https://www.qualisoy.com/food-industry-solutions/high-oleic-soybean-oil
https://www.plenish.com/

I am now searching for vendors planning to sell or already selling HO soy. I'd like to give it a try and see how it compares to my previous experience with plain soy oil.

So I sent requests for information to a couple of companies listed on one of the Plenish site as suppliers. Hopefully they will get back to me with where to purchase HO Soybean oil.

In the meantime, I'd really like to compare how HO soy shortening performs in soap.

Of course, it's another soaping product not listed in any of the calculators except the MMS calculator (which much to my annoyance, does not include any FA information at all.) And I think you have to use the soybean oil setting in the MMS calculator, but that would work with all of them, but still not give an accurate profile of the resulting soap. But I don't use their calculator because I don't like it, for the aforementioned reason.

On the other hand, it occurred to me that this may well be the exact same product being sold by Soaper's Choice here. So I sent them a request for information and hope to hear back soon so I can compare which is the better buy for me to test this out in soap.

So no decision as yet, but I find this all very interesting.

Not that it probably helps as I'm not sure what you are looking for or why but I use the interesterified soy shortening in my soap recipe (not by choice but because SC no longer carries the normal hydrogenated stuff. It is softer and has a lower melting point but hasn't seemed to effect the final product. If I had a choice, I'd go back to buying the other...

Thank you for sharing this, @earlene; it's all very interesting.

Both products look promising, and I’m curious to hear what you learn about the shortening from Soaper’s Choice. At the moment, I blend HO sunflower with GW415, and I’m thinking that either of the products you’re investigating could be used as single product replacement for my blend (with SC being a less expensive option, too!). I look forward to your update.

Thank you for your input, @SoaperForLife. I’m curious; how long have you been using the interesterified product from Soaper’s Choice? have you encountered any DOS when using this product? Lastly, it seems like you prefer the (no longer available) “normal hydrogenated stuff”; given the lack of availability, this is moot, but what perceived benefits did it have over the interesterified product?

Thanks for sharing @earlene, very informative.

P.S. I'm a financial analyst (aka FA) and it took me until literally just now to realize you meant Fatty Acid profile in your thread title. (A little slow today)

Thanks for sharing @earlene, very informative.

P.S. I'm a financial analyst (aka FA) and it took me until literally just now to realize you meant Fatty Acid profile in your thread title. (A little slow today)

So funny. I have the same thing with some abbreviations we use that have other medical meanings. Even though I know the context, my mind always seems to go to the medical acronym first.

Thank you for your input, @SoaperForLife. I’m curious; how long have you been using the interesterified product from Soaper’s Choice? have you encountered any DOS when using this product? Lastly, it seems like you prefer the (no longer available) “normal hydrogenated stuff”; given the lack of availability, this is moot, but what perceived benefits did it have over the interesterified product?
Since mid-summer of last year I believe....and no, I've never encountered DOS from using hydrogenated soybean oil in my soap and I've been using it in my recipe since 2006. The interesterified is softer than the original product and so I had concerns that perhaps my soaps would end up being softer but that hasn't happened.

Latest posts

Back